What did you do to your E9 today?

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Lights on

I got a package of small bulbs in the mail today. Not exciting, but I keep adding parts to the pile that will go in the car soon. Has anybody replaced the dash lights with LED versions? Not the colored ones, eeew, but brighter, warm white ones that are a bit brighter.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I got a package of small bulbs in the mail today. Not exciting, but I keep adding parts to the pile that will go in the car soon. Has anybody replaced the dash lights with LED versions? Not the colored ones, eeew, but brighter, warm white ones that are a bit brighter.

Some '02 guys have with mixed results. I'm a firm believer in incandescents.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Can't find any that dim so I am sticking with the stock ones. I may go 4w to get a little brighter though

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Finally decided to give my coupe time off for good behavior, relegate from daily driver to weekends only and rest it up for the drive to Monterey. I just leased a new 4 series coupe so I do not need to drive my E9 on rainy or 95 degree days anymore!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, didn't do it myself but had the coupe polished and waxed for its journey to Monterey next week. It will get pretty dirty driving 375 miles but this will make it a bit easier to clean when I arrive.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
no Doctor Detail

I am cleaning the shocks, springs and other undercarriage parts in preparation for the BMW CCA Boston Concours. Nice to have a lift in the garage!

No foot top view of the headers

Last edited:

alfagta

Reaction score
tool kit repair

My trunk tool box was broken around the closing screw. I bought a new one, but it looked too "new", especially the foam inside the top. After listening to an interview of Peter Hageman on CarsYeah.com (no affiliation) I decided to try a repair of the original one. All the rest of the car is original/unrestored. Part of the interview message was that it takes a certain kind of person to live with a preservation car, different from the person who wants everything perfect.
I glued the pieces I had then added epoxy, sanded and painted with SEM Storm Gray paint.
Before and after pictures attached.

Thanks, Bill

Attachments

• IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 199

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Final bugs sorted on the mega squirt, will be doing a drive / run this weekend to get a base map, then will start doing the wiring properly (soldered, heat shrink etc) also need to sort the last part of my throttle linkage.

Coming together nicely for the summer season

bcoli

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A big step forward

Towed my car 440 miles down to SFdon & he blessed her & took her in!
New M30B35, five speed, limited slip (if we can find one), new vented disc brakes up front. :grin:

burky

Site Donor
Reaction score
I made up new wood panels for my trunk floor, I then had some vinyl paint mixed up to match the new rhino hide ,then tomorrow I paint the plastic inner wheel covers, tool box , and taillight inner covers, then with some help , replace all the rhino hide , then ALMOST SADLY, cover most of it with the new carpet .
Burky 73cs, 74cs.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Availability obfuscation

Some '02 guys have with mixed results. I'm a firm believer in incandescents.

Indeed, the warm glow is hard to duplicate.

I was looking for more parts to add to the pile of pre-restoraton parts and had a look on ebay for a turn signal / wiper switch. A current listing for a NOS one states that the part is NLA and is listed at an eye watering $500. Checking Realoem.com shows that indeed that part number (61311355322), listed as turn signal switch is NLA, however right below that part in the list is one called switch. Looking further, it appears to be a substituted switch that works for the same date range, except for the first three months or so of production. It's available at a more palatable price of $221.08 from BMW of Monterey. Yay, It's on order now along with more rubber bits.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
61311355322 is for coupes through MY 73 with turn signal on right side of column, the later one for 74 is wiper only as turn signal moved to left side. Hope you ordered the one you need.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris,

The right hand wiper switch on my '74 works perfectly, but it seems very 'loose' in it's movements. I've found some that might be correct, but I'm not sure. Do you have a part number for the correct one, and where it might be available?

Thank you for your help.