What did you do to your E9 today?

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
E9 today...

Well, finally cleaned the gunk/grime from the power antenna mast so that it correctly disappears all the way into the driver side fender..like it used to do before it started to park about 2 inches above. Final preparations for the "Brown grass, dirty car Concours" the BMWCCBC is holding Sunday, while we are under Stage 3 water restrictions! So much water Nov to Feb, so little all summer...
Mike

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Parked her

All projects on hold until the warehouse get emptied :) :-(

Attachments

• e9mess1.jpg
    e9mess1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 198
  • e9mess.jpg
    e9mess.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 209

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Toot!!

With help, I diagnosed the problem with my horns. Thank you Chris Macha, Chris Auty and all those who provided info. I went from the horn button to the horns themselves and found that the latter (horns) were dead.
I called Mario at VSR and ordered horns at 10AM, was at VSR by 4pm and the horns were installed and working shortly thereafter!
What a sweet sound!!

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Removed my bent rear bumper

The past few days, whilst waiting on o-ring to seal my fuel level sender so I can actually run my car, I have died the door handles and manual window covers so they all match, repaired my horn, and continued worked on my shifter console and gauge cluster.

I also removed the bent rear bumper. The remaining parts for the replacement bumper should arrive any day now.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
tidying up

My license plates were attached using a plastic screw with a chromed plastic cap. At a car show another enthusiast said to ditch them in favor of stainless steel button head allen screws.

Looks very nice! I also replaced the screws that hold the rear license plate bracket to the car.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My license plates were attached using a plastic screw with a chromed plastic cap. At a car show another enthusiast said to ditch them in favor of stainless steel button head allen screws.

Looks very nice! I also replaced the screws that hold the rear license plate bracket to the car.

Looks much better, Stan.
On Athena I have neoprene washers as a cushion and to prevent water infiltration on my front license plate and air dam. Not that the car gets wet, but just in case.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks nice but if we're getting into minute details here I think stainless phillip screws would look more period vs. allen head.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The allen heads do not look 'period correct', but they protect your license plate and/or stainless plate frame from thieves MUCH better!

I doubt that very many thieves carry allen wrenches, much more likely to have a phillips screwdriver. I too use these in stainless on my classic and antique vehicle plates.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I got tired of looking at the black box fuel pump control brain (and it's proximity to the exhaust manifold heat) so I made use of one of the disconnected speed relays and created a hiding place/heat shield box for it. I popped out the innards, drilled airflow holes into the back and sides, and installed the unit inside (it's a snug fit and also put some 3M putty to hold indefinitely) after trimming off the mounting ear.

The brain had been strapped to the a/c hose and also screwed to the fender and a/c relay with messy wires coming out all over:

IMG-20120825-00602.jpg

The mod:

IMG_2120.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG

Back in with some shrink tubing for the wires and all straightened up:

IMG_2122.JPG

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Very cool, mine was originally bought at Hoffman manhattan, I'd love to have that frame but have never found one for sale and apparently are very rare. I've seen one on another car though.

When I bought my coupe, it had the Operators booklet for the Golde sunroof.
GOLDE-SCHIEBEDACHER
Inside, a handwritten note tells that is was delivered to Kerr Grain Corp c/o Kuni Cadillac in Beaverton OR.

I just bought a pair of vintage KUNI license plate frames!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-KUN...74811bd&pid=100033&rk=2&rkt=4&sd=161803661236

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve,

Every car Hoffman brought to the US says delivered to Hoffman Motors, NYC, his corporate address. Do you have any other info pointing to your coupe being sold in NYC?

I have seen only one Hoffman license plate frame, I think it was from his LA area distribution center/office, so yes, very, very rare.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hoffman plate frame

This is the only one I've ever seen from Hoffman in NYC. It was at The Vintage at Saratoga in 2010.

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 206

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, the second owner told me he bought it there in Manhattan and lived in Greenwich, CT.

Steve,

Every car Hoffman brought to the US says delivered to Hoffman Motors, NYC, his corporate address. Do you have any other info pointing to your coupe being sold in NYC?

I have seen only one Hoffman license plate frame, I think it was from his LA area distribution center/office, so yes, very, very rare.

Bwana

Reaction score
I decided to replace the gasket that seals the rear of the hood. Started by ordering it from BMW. When it arrived, it was grey, not black. Sorted that out in this thread

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20007

Then went ahead with the install. First, the original look

P8280735_zps9joz0aev.jpg

Got the gasket all cleaned up with Simple Green and some Meguires detail juice. Then treated with Gumm whatever. Didn't do the back side as that's where the glue goes.

P8280737_zpss84d7mdf.jpg

Cleaned off the old stuff with a combination of careful scraping and 3M adheasive solvent

P8280739_zpsxmzdedrk.jpg

Nice and clean!

P8280743_zps0myculia.jpg

Job done! I used 3M gasket adhesive. Apply and let dry until tacky

P8290745_zpscllmjgod.jpg

dbower

Reaction score
Jeff:

Good luck getting the trunk lid to close for awhile. You may want to loosen the latch and then progressively tighten it as the new gasket takes a set. Remember to remove any heavy tools from the toolkit if you're slamming the lid.

Don