What did you do to your E9 today?

coupelady

Reaction score
plug wires

Something as simple as plug wires! Don't forget about them!

My CS has been running terribly with no power, with me having to shift up to get it moving. Many things have been done to it but nothing seemed to make that better.

A new set of hands was moving around the car, he started to wiggle the plug wires and found #6 not connected to anything but in place. So far (knock wood) with new wires the old man is showing this old gal a really good time. Drivability is back!

Ken Coffey is his name, my savior. He has done a few trim things for me that others seemed to not correct. He actually does restoration, nicely done from what I have seen. He has worked on getting my hood to close flush, same with the driver's side door and now this great happening. He's right up there in my book for sainthood: Blacktop Studios; Morganton, NC 828430-7431

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Both rear windows work now, realigned the hood, and lubed the bearing that was starting to sing in the blower motor.

Rear window video

Found my exhaust leak. I had a tick that I thought was something in the head. Didn't see anything amiss In the head, so I kept looking. Found the head to manifold gasket on number six was getting puked out. Ordered new ones from Autohausaz.

CN springs to be installed soon and then I'll be fairly ready for Legends!

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
So much better.

W&N exhaust on, car is lowered, all windows work (though I have some final adjustments to make on the stops), so all she needs is a good detail and I'm ready for Legends.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Looks nice!

Thanks Don! Now you can't claim you can fit four fingers in her. :p

Found my tick too. Car is puking the head to exhaust manifold gasket on number 6. I'll get that cleaned up this week. Thanks again as always for the advice.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
ride height.jpg

Hmmm. I had never thought of my cars stance as goofy but I have to admit it does look nicer a bit lower.

Doug

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, I removed them along with the side markers, the rocker panel trim, and rear bumperettes about 30 years ago in my de-chroming phase. I only recently decided just to put the rocker trim back on.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, I removed them along with the side markers, the rocker panel trim, and rear bumperettes about 30 years ago in my de-chroming phase. I only recently decided just to put the rocker trim back on.

IMHO it is too much risk to drive without them, moreover the car looks,...well it does not look very,...i do not know how to define it

my coupe came with only one mirror, drivers side, but at least was one mirror there,...

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
IMHO it is too much risk to drive without them, moreover the car looks,...well it does not look very,...i do not know how to define it

my coupe came with only one mirror, drivers side, but at least was one mirror there,...

So I guess you are saying it looks "goofy" instead of sleek. I find with the expansive greenhouse there are no real blind spots and I always turn my head. I've driven +200K miles without them so I am either lucky or stupid (maybe both). I plan on making the drive to Monterey across the US and will install the driver side mirror before leaving.

Doug

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
David: POR-15 has an exhaust paint good to 1200 degrees

DMW: You are luck. I was stopped at a light and the guy behind me (also stopped) decided to go before the light turned green. Freak accident, don't know what he was thinking. Mashed the bumper.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To clarify my "goofy" comment, I was referring to how these cars typically ride with the spacers in place, the front higher than the back like a boat not yet on plane. Both of my coupes had that appearance before I leveled them out.

Yours does not appear to have that reverse rake and looks level.

View attachment 14744

Hmmm. I had never thought of my cars stance as goofy but I have to admit it does look nicer a bit lower.

Doug

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
To clarify my "goofy" comment, I was referring to how these cars typically ride with the spacers in place, the front higher than the back like a boat not yet on plane. Both of my coupes had that appearance before I leveled them out.

Yours does not appear to have that reverse rake and looks level.

I was only trying to initiate some lighthearted banter. Just checked and I'm actually four fingers on the front and two at the rear so probably could use an adjustment to the front someday.

dbower

Reaction score
tictoc clock

Today I re-installed my clock after sending it out for refurbish/repair ($250). Clocks that don't work or run slow/fast make me crazy so this has been on my list.

When I got the clock removed and my gashed knuckles started healing, I was surprised to find no adjustment screw on the back. My '72 3.0 had this but this '71 2800 does not. I had asked the shop to just put a quartz movement in this one in hopes of keeping better time, but they said they could not. No reason offered, but they specialize in this conversion, so there must be something funky about this VDO unit.

Anyway, there must be a better process for removing/reinstalling clocks than what I do. I wound up removing half of the console (a/c), the underdash panels, and all the instruments. If there were ever a question that these cars were hand-built by Bavarian elves with tiny hands, this removes any doubt. What a royal pain. All is reassembled, the clock is ticking away, only a few screws were left over, and my knuckles should heal again in a few weeks.

Don

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don,

as you know, the 2800cs gauges have different color numbers than a 3.0cs. if you want to send a 2800cs clock and a 3.0cs clock (that i have) ... they could rebuild the 3.0cs clock and put the 2800cs face + pointers on it. ask them if they can do that ... we could both send clocks out there as my 2800cs clock doesn't work well either.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I took my friend's clock out of his '73 the other day. Drop the under dash panel, reach up and unscrew the knobs, twist, and it's out. Much easier than the speedo which requires more manipulation. Maybe I got lucky but it's the second time I did it, the first repair didn't work.