What did you do to your E9 today?

Barry.b

Reaction score
I've restored two sets of RSs myself, and two Style 5s. I agree, so much work! I had the LMs on my M5 professionally done. I just dropped them off and picked them up a couple weeks later. Oh yeah, and wrote a big fat check - it was worth it. :D

View attachment 137042
They look really really nice !!!
Do you know if they are sealed or coated after the polishing was done to keep them looking good ?

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drove around central Florida yesterday and today with the Classic Car Club (BMWCCCA) Florida Winter Tour.

A985BD4A-34CB-4860-BD9B-B55DC82C0AC1.jpeg
D2D0EB22-178C-43D9-9651-EF6A77000D14.jpeg
3D389151-5F03-4C79-A205-7C3A6B161888.jpeg
E2AE6446-B986-480C-A7EC-11E6C3E2EC20.jpeg
345D0F79-00D5-43BE-B6F5-6B38CA64E877.jpeg

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
They look really really nice !!!
Do you know if they are sealed or coated after the polishing was done to keep them looking good ?

Thanks Barry! The lips are bare polished aluminum. He has an option of clear coating the polished lips but it takes a little luster away. I just keep them waxed and car really never goes out any kind of weather. They look as good today as they did 3+ years ago when I had them refinished.

Midwestbike

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drove it for the first time in almost 3 years. LOL. A lot of dust… got stuck in the gravel and had to dig and use some wood stacking stickers to make it out the hole it dug itself in. Now I can move it out easily to work on and now will have a harder time driving the M Coupe. Was the best day of the year so far

6FE40E20-1B6C-40E9-B068-2E6B69921C93.jpeg
DDF4E507-63FE-4F97-9B05-ED74DF144CC3.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Got the car started again tonight. Pulled the MANN fuel filter and confirmed (with my mount :D) that it isn’t clogged. Tested the fuel pump and no there. I think it was just finicky the other week.

I also installed a cheap little 26R battery that matches my period battery. I don’t keep it in the car so the lighter batter is definitely easier to wrangle. Thanks to @adawil2002 for the size!
96229994-AD84-4E47-BB77-F7B92781E627.jpeg

tygaboy

Reaction score
Went to visit @sfdon and Martin to take a "progress peek" at the 3.5/5-speed conversion they're doing on my '74. All the Carl Nelson suspension and steering goodies are installed, subframes checked, cracks repaired, everything powder coated, engine bay tidied up and repainted. Holy Bejeebus, does everything look great! Next step is finalizing the engine rebuild and harness updates. Getting there!
Oh you wanted pics? Well, I was so excited about everything I saw that I forgot to take any! :p

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pics forwarded- your engine bay is looking good. Another 6 weeks and you will be cruising Hwy 1 to Bodega Bay.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Right, my little Hamletta was hidden away for much of the pandemic but she finally made her way through the asphalt and concrete war zone known as Austin Texas (where everyone is moving to and few know how to drive for some reason). Thanks to the fine engine work of our local guru SF Don, the unique tuning expertise of the deputy chief of all astronauts in the whole-wide-world Drew and the block rebuild by Terry Sayther down here in South Austin, my little piglet started up immediately after sitting for over 5 months in her cell. We took a drive down Lime Creek rd by Lake Travis --- my traveling companion followed (way back) on her scooter.

In 2 days I should be having my new 2-post A-symmetrical lift installed in the garagemahal at which time I will post a plethora of pictures that will bore most of you.... but, that's why I'm here :)

postcovid.jpg
postcovid1.jpg
postcovid.jpg

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dave Masi used his mixture of 3M black weatherstrip adhesive and Naptha to glue the missing door edge seals on the Coupe Sunday. He also used this mixture to install another driver /rear window seal to replace the one not correctly installed by the shop that worked on the car. The pics show getting parts installed on your coupe should be done by a shop that knows these cars. The alum. trim was really glued to the glass and the seal was cut too short. Now it is properly installed.

Attachments

• IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 117

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drew, ask Dave what the advantage of the naptha is? My door gaskets are giving me a hard time staying in place and I used the 3M stuff directly.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As far as I know from my work at Pruett-Schaeffer Paint Co. in Pittsburgh in the early 1990s.
Naphtha a volatile petroleum distillate used in the production railway paints. Naphtha or Xylene/Xylol may also be used to remove glues & adhesives without damaging or dissolving cured paints as Acetone & Lacquer Thinner does. Acetone & perfume is also known as nail polish remover.

I regularly use Xylene/Xylol for removing glues & cleaning raw metals before paint.

NOTE: Do not dispose of solvent damp paper towels or rags in the trash. The evaporative & condensation properties of these petroleum distillates has caused spontaneous combustion fires. Dispose of them in a proper fire proof can designed specifically for these solvents or lay them flat outside in fresh air.

Last edited:

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drew, ask Dave what the advantage of the naptha is? My door gaskets are giving me a hard time staying in place and I used the 3M stuff directly.
Rob--David learned this technique at the Werke Shop. The Naptha/3M mixture can be painted on both sides with a brush. He said it then has more adhesion properties. He first cleaned the mold release off the rubber seals with 3M solvent remover,which he likes better than lacquer thinner. He also cleaned the door metal.
He used this method when he correctly installed my door seals several months ago,and that's why I wanted him to glue on the door edge rubber.
Again, his knowledge of how to properly install parts on our cars is invaluable.
Note ,I used a razor blade to scrape away all of the yellow 3M glue on the window. None of it was stuck to the inside of the alum. trim. So much for a good solid adhesion of the 100% glue.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As far as I know from my work at Pruett-Schaeffer Paint Co. in Pittsburgh in the early 1990s.
Naphtha a volatile petroleum distillate used in the production railway paints. Naphtha or Xylene/Xylol may also be used to remove glues & adhesives without damaging or dissolving cured paints as Acetone & Lacquer Thinner does. Acetone & perfume is also known as nail polish remover.

I regularly use Xylene/Xylol for removing glues & cleaning raw metals before paint.

NOTE: Do not dispose of solvent damp paper towels or rags in the trash. The evaporative & condensation properties of these petroleum distillates has caused spontaneous combustion fires. Dispose of them in a proper fire proof can designed specifically for these solvents or lay them flat outside in fresh air.
Ramsey-I regularly use Xylene/Xylo on damp paper towels or rags as a substitute for fine wine. It has less calories :)