What did you do to your E9 today?

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
They also had to replace the ignition switch, as she was giving them a intermittent no start problem. Glad that's fixed.
Glad they spotted it there. Mine manifested on the freeway on a section with no shoulder. Lots of pucker factor.

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not a damn thing!

Car is set up for winter storage in next door neighbor's garage, along with my motorcycle a BMW R1200C Pheonix. In exchange for the winter storage I snow blow her driveway after storms, and check on her house when she's traveling. Sweet deal, but she's a good friend and I'd do it regardless.

For the spring I plan to have the interior re-dyed. It's faded seriously over the past 12 years. Long story on the free leather i got to restore the stock rear seats and the front Recaro seats. There's a shop in Underhill VT that has won concours awards at Monterey for their interior work and I've talked to them briefly about what I wanted done.

Cheers from VT! It's currently 1 deg F outside!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
1 degree, OUCH!, and we're complaining because it's dipping below freezing here in Austin for a day or two- kind of puts things in perspective, but then you guys have some of the most beautiful roads in the country regardless of the season.

Andrew, your car looks truly astonishing! My blue coupe is very solid but really lacks the kind of power that I'm looking for so once I solve that problem I'm thinking of making an appointment with Mario but it won't be any time soon. My paint is very good (it's only 1 year old) but there is a difference in quality that you can tell even from the pictures on the web.

Maine and New Hampshire roads are beautiful as well! :)

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
1 degree, OUCH!, and we're complaining because it's dipping below freezing here in Austin for a day or two- kind of puts things in perspective, but then you guys have some of the most beautiful roads in the country regardless of the season.

Andrew, your car looks truly astonishing! My blue coupe is very solid but really lacks the kind of power that I'm looking for so once I solve that problem I'm thinking of making an appointment with Mario but it won't be any time soon. My paint is very good (it's only 1 year old) but there is a difference in quality that you can tell even from the pictures on the web.

Maine and New Hampshire roads are beautiful as well! :)

Come on up!!

TodB

Reaction score
Your car looks terrific, Andrew. Mario's painter is a wizard, a master of the color match. He has proven it time and again.

duane_sword

Reaction score
VSR paint and body for E9s

Your car looks terrific, Andrew. Mario's painter is a wizard, a master of the color match. He has proven it time and again.

I second that motion!

checkout this link for the repaint of a beautiful E9:
http://www.vsr1.com/index.php?mact=...&m3fd51albumid=92&m3fd51returnid=110&page=110

Steve at VSR is a paint and body wizard... take a look at the work VSR completed on Michael Balaban's coupe... stunning.

The photo was taken as we were leaving another fun weekend at Lime Rock CT for the Vintage Race weekend a few years ago.

Attachments

• MBalaban_Limerock.jpg
    MBalaban_Limerock.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 235

TodB

Reaction score
Painter Steve is the man.

Mike's paint is still stunning (the whole car is), great color and depth. Can't forget Stan's new paint either which also looks terrific.

Vbigdog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Transmission and Bellhousing

Removed the exhaust, forward drive shaft, 4 speed transmission and bellhousing. Previous weekend removed the seats and console for reupholersting. big winter for me.

A b34 block and b35 cyclinder head are at the machinist, but letting the engine build progress at its own pace. Hopefully install the completed engine late this coming driving season for shakedown and tuning.

duane_sword

Reaction score
Removed the exhaust, forward drive shaft, 4 speed transmission and bellhousing. Previous weekend removed the seats and console for reupholersting. big winter for me.

A b34 block and b35 cyclinder head are at the machinist, but letting the engine build progress at its own pace. Hopefully install the completed engine late this coming driving season for shakedown and tuning.

when are you sending it to VSR to fix your 'handy work" Tom?

;-) .... yes I am a cheeky bastard

duane_sword

Reaction score
Mario is on notice that his triage services may be needed on short notice. Duane, that is unless you can bring your toolbox and help help wrench?! :p

my toolbox is so clean and tidy, infact many of the tools still in the plastic wrapping

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
bunch

so i pulled out the headliner and sunroof and
of course if any of the sunroofs dont pull back even or not at all the reason is the clip at the end of the cable
it made of plastic with small loops at end with a pin
im surprised its so cheap its easy for that loop to brake
so you could just get another cable
also i have a 74 and the front and rear headliner is different the front is the diamonds and the back is the linen look
interesting never realy paid much attention
so whats the best place for the randon line
material

Last edited:

mr bump

Reaction score
I put a bit of power into it, ventured onto the back roads....then when it was warm and ready, i ragged till it redlined for mercy, washed it and put it away.:cool:

Now, the cs...............;-)

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Received an update from VSR. Athena's 5 speed is done!

Except Mario was not happy with the way the CS shift boot fit the new shift rod and the new style shift knob just looked wrong. The shop is going to make a new custom selector rod so the shift boot fits and retains the spin on style shift knob.

This makes me very happy, I'll be able to retain my special Murray Fowler shift knob and the car will look like she did before the 5-speed swap and the updated short shift kit.

I cannot say enough good things about VSR, couldn't be happier with the quality of work and care thry put into every project. :D

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
5 degrees

I dreamed about working on my coupe.
Some know I sold my home in August. My new home will be ready in a week and this time I went for a heater in the garage, inspired by my friend Ski Coach. Would be very useful on a day like today!
A sink with hot and cold water is also installed. As soon as it gets warm enough, epoxy the floor then install the lift. Then the coupe can come home.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sweet setup Stan.

Today I will be dropping the exhaust and pulling the driveshaft to remove the junky chinese bearings and guibo I put on a couple years ago and replacing with German ones. Also will be installing new German tie rods and center link. Is there a theme here?

I dreamed about working on my coupe.
Some know I sold my home in August. My new home will be ready in a week and this time I went for a heater in the garage, inspired by my friend Ski Coach. Would be very useful on a day like today!
A sink with hot and cold water is also installed. As soon as it gets warm enough, epoxy the floor then install the lift. Then the coupe can come home.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Epoxy floor

Hi Stan, I too did an epoxy floor it is an awesome feature! I did 2 coats even though it was a little overkill I think it's worth it. If you're doing it yourself be sure to prep that floor with the etch and use a power washer, let it dry for a good long time- with the heat on :) What are the dimensions? we want pictures! Funny how even the excitement of a new home is eclipsed by the design of the garage- a "man's" living room!

I tried to create a mini-cave at home, but alas, the wife has managed to crowd it with gnomes, seasonal lawn ornaments and every form of junk imaginable. I like to think I'm not a quitter, but in this case I just gave up and concentrate on the shop in my warehouse at work.

My neighbor does allot of work on his cars and he and a couple of friends bought a garage a few miles away and they all share the expenses which seems like a pretty good compromise.

TodB

Reaction score
My new home will be ready in a week and this time I went for a heater in the garage, inspired by my friend Ski Coach. Would be very useful on a day like today! A sink with hot and cold water is also installed. As soon as it gets warm enough, epoxy the floor then install the lift. Then the coupe can come home.
Wow, Stan, you must be psyched! I am an hour north of you today and its a balmy 9 up from -6 earlier! My Mom has a heater in her garage and it definitely takes the edge off. Worth every penny.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's great when you can solve a problem on these cars once in a while. This should cure my vibration issue that's been slowly growing. New one below the old now in the car, along with center bearing:

IMG_1380.JPG