list for NEW CARPET orginal colour and texture correct

tomcolitt

(deceased)
Reaction score
At the price of $420 a set I'd be more interested in a bunch of raw meters. I also would like to see the correct heel and tunnel pad. No point in getting the color right, but not the pads and grey binding (not Blue). I'd be very careful about verifying that what they promise is what we would get. I've dealt with many companies in Germany that use the phrase "exactly the same" very loosely. I'd be happy to translate or speak to Cabrio, if needed. I can also talk to Veteran in L.A. who would surely be interested in a bunch of material....

Tom Colitt
ClassicAutosLA

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
here is the picture of the heel pad i got from Klaus. as my coupe doesn't have the original carpet, i have no idea what the heel pad is supposed to look like

Attachments

• KHM heel pad.jpg
    KHM heel pad.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 223

Cateyes

Reaction score
here is the picture of the heel pad i got from Klaus. as my coupe doesn't have the original carpet, i have no idea what the heel pad is supposed to look like

I think my carpet is original the heal pad surface from HK looks different from mine
also the heal pad is not stitched and does not run the entire width of the carpet.

Attachments

• carpet1.jpg
    carpet1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 201
  • carpet.jpg
    carpet.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 191

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
keep in mind, this might not be a photo of an e9 carpet. it might be a pic of some other car type with what they use for a heel pad. which makes me think its not going to match.

in my restomod ... that's what a cocomat is for.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Cateyes,

I saw a euro coupe today with blue/grey and the heel pad matched yours in shape and appearance. I had never seen the semi-quilted look before.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's my driver's carpet showing the original heel pad and accelerator pedal pad on the tunnel, like Scott mentioned, now protected and preserved under a cocomat. Looks like they are heat stamped onto the carpet or something.

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

Last edited:

Cateyes

Reaction score
Here's my driver's carpet showing the original heel pad and accelerator pedal pad on the tunnel, like Scott mentioned, now protected and preserved under a cocomat. Looks like they are heat stamped onto the carpet or something.

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

My carpet looks exactly like yours

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
All carpets today will have a sewn heel pad, don't think there are any other choices.

Gentlemen,

Not sure where to land here other than to see what Klaus has to say on possibilities.

Now, I have to think anything can be had for a price point. So if there is a definitive correct solution perhaps Klaus can see what it will take to get it done. If price too prohibitive, on to the next solution.

Given the purchase date we are talking about for blue / gray carpet we have some time to resolve,... so appreciate the interest and let's see if we can't get to the best solution.

John

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can let Mayer borrow my drivers mat, it is NOS

Rob,

Great idea. Best to work from the best sample available. Out of interest... is it quilted as Stevehose's???

I have to think given a certain critical mass virtually anything is achievable. From my end I am willing to pay a premium to have as close a correct match as possible.

What that premium is? always a part of the discussion.

Klaus will be the best to identify.

John

tomcolitt

(deceased)
Reaction score
Yes. I think we agree on what the original heel pad looks like. I can furnish a picture of the pad for the center tunnel if needed, but it looks basically the same. It seems like it shouldn't be hard to find a company that can weld the pads to the carpet, since they can do the welds on the vinyl door panels as well. And if one company can custom order the raw carpet another should be as well. I'm a little surprised that they say they can do this for only 30 sets, which would be roughly 1,000 meters. I've talked to several sources before who said that the minimum run for such a custom order would be 10,000 meters

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes. I think we agree on what the original heel pad looks like. I can furnish a picture of the pad for the center tunnel if needed, but it looks basically the same. It seems like it shouldn't be hard to find a company that can weld the pads to the carpet, since they can do the welds on the vinyl door panels as well. And if one company can custom order the raw carpet another should be as well. I'm a little surprised that they say they can do this for only 30 sets, which would be roughly 1,000 meters. I've talked to several sources before who said that the minimum run for such a custom order would be 10,000 meters

FYI, I believe Klaus is looking at a minimum order of 3000 m2. Our order is only a part of the total.

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Order Status

OK all,

I think this is where we are in the carpet count. Crude first pass at an excel file, but basic content is there.

Please look and make any corrections. Eventually we will need better contact information on the individuals purchasing, but as a quick check this should work.

Please respond or email me at [email protected].

I will want to update Cabrio and see how they are progressing.

And...thanks for all the input on heal pieces, binding, etc. We will need to fold this into the production.

John

Attachments

• BMW carpet 02.24.2014.pdf
    7.2 KB · Views: 202

tomcolitt

(deceased)
Reaction score
Thanks for your good work so far John. I think it is possible that manufacturing is more capable of doing smaller runs at a lower cost these days, so that works in our favor. I have been involved in similar projects in the Mercedes world and in the end, the demand way out stripped the supply and I think the raw material will be used up in short order. And our list doesn't even include any of the re-sellers yet.... Please just keep in mind the quality, including the two pads and the binding. I think it's better to get it right in 6 months, than get something that is just a little bit better than the current offerings in two.... I'd be most interested in seeing the original headliner material. I've talked to BMW Mobile Tradition and others several times and they claim that what they are selling IS the original headliner material ;-)....

Last edited:

Gernstetter

Reaction score
Rob,

Great idea. Best to work from the best sample available. Out of interest... is it quilted as Stevehose's???

I have to think given a certain critical mass virtually anything is achievable. From my end I am willing to pay a premium to have as close a correct match as possible.

What that premium is? always a part of the discussion.

Klaus will be the best to identify.

John

Looks exactly like the others......

Mike Pelly

Reaction score
carpet and trunk carpet

i need both for my '72 csi. I'm located in CA. Would like to see a sample of the blue gray. I have two euro E9's with the original carpet for comparative purposes if needed.