What's the fastest you've driven your e9/e3 (allegedly)?

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
All of the above posts could be the next verses in the song "Transfusion".......
Now I really have to find out what 5000 RPM in 5th gear reads in my car.
4000 was 105MPH on the speedo.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
240 km/h....... no wait , that was in my 650i and Morgan GTN , also with the BMW V8 . :)
180 km/h in the rally CS .... as it is geared to that as max.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
One of the last jobs I had for my father's dealership was to deliver a 2800CS out to a customer in Idaho. My father's dealership was in Minnesota which meant I had to drive out 94 through North Dakota and Montana. This was back in the day when the speed limit in Montana was "reasonable and prudent." Well when you're 18 years old in a brand new BMW on an open and empty freeway through the big sky country, what's reasonable and prudent? That's correct, flat out. Not sure what speed I hit, but it was all that straight 6 had! :)

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
All of the above posts could be the next verses in the song "Transfusion".......
Now I really have to find out what 5000 RPM in 5th gear reads in my car.
4000 was 105MPH on the speedo.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Bav with my worn valve sleeves and when it had the 3.0L with stock Zenith carbs and the 4-spd would show over 100MPH on the speedo. But was that accurate, I think 5-10mph should be knocked off, but regardless it was fun and didn't feel like I had to "white knuckle" it. As apposed to the X3 diesel my wife and I rented in Germany when they first came out, we were going over 153MPH (246KPH) on the autobahn and sitting up kind of high in that little SUV, I won't lie, I was still white knuckling it. No mattresses jumping out in front of us, but I always think of blowout, especially when slightly top-heavy. Bav will be done with the latest "plastic surgery" after the shipping "incident." Rear bumper is getting tucked like it should be pre-'73. No more 10mph metal hoop rings, should look amazing. I will have pics soon. Body work is done, just waiting on paint. It was minor damage but a good excuse to finally tuck the rear bumper in. Super excited to see the results. Carry on......"petal to the metal!"

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
At Sebring, best lap time with my old CSL (now Tyson's) was something like 2:30 or :32... about 90mph average. Unsure of the top speed but likely less than 135.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had the old 2000CS right at 100mph chasing you, Steve, on the drive outside New Orleans. That was a great weekend
C48481B8-133B-43E6-B919-8E441521FAE2.jpeg

FB828B42-403B-4D53-B29E-83D3B40465F7.jpeg

EdZ

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
One of the last jobs I had for my father's dealership was to deliver a 2800CS out to a customer in Idaho. My father's dealership was in Minnesota which meant I had to drive out 94 through North Dakota and Montana. This was back in the day when the speed limit in Montana was "reasonable and prudent." Well when you're 18 years old in a brand new BMW on an open and empty freeway through the big sky country, what's reasonable and prudent? That's correct, flat out. Not sure what speed I hit, but it was all that straight 6 had! :)
I have seen your in car videos. Pretty sure you aren't exaggerating.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Seriously, I think I hit 90 mph when the car was a 3 speed automatic and 110 mph after the 5-speed conversion.
In other words, every gear adds 10 mph to your E9...
I know all BMW speedometers are optimistic by about 5 mph.

Barry.b

Reaction score
I once went, flat out in 2nd gear.
With standard getrag 262 transmission and factory 3.0 csi diff running on the factory wheels and tyres.with the standard 12 volt battery and factory starter motor.
I held nothing back , whatever I could get from under the hood was put down to the tarmac that day !!!
( please check the link for more details)
:) :) :) … p.s. I’m just kidding for now but hopefully I’ll get there some day!

Last edited:

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Back home in 1997 I had a blue 3.0cs everything original with over 80,000 kilometers on the clock I was driving with total 4 people in the car wide open road night time and it was cold I couldn't go more than 180 kilometer clock was down to 170 and up to 180 I believe if engine was new and good health it would make easy 200 kilometer