What's the fastest you've driven your e9/e3 (allegedly)?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We did a spirited drive out in the swampland Sunday, where I (allegedly) hit 115 on the GPS, which broke my previous mark of (allegedly) 110. It had more room to go but I chickened out. Got me thinking re: other owners' top speeds (allegedly) in their e9/e3's. Track or in the wild...

Mike Goble

Reaction score
3.25 rear gears with a 3.64 speedo...

IMG_0312.JPG

TodB

Reaction score
~125ish indicated which would be ~118 mph, allegedly, on I495 east in MA. Part of my early Sunday morning loop. There is a nice 2-3 mile straight before cresting a hill and the I93 junction. Was getting a bit light in the front.

Age, my wife probably not bailing me out of jail and animals running across the road in front of you all have a way of slowing you down.

Last edited:

shanon

Reaction score
With my old dual 38s Webers, I topped out w/ the speedo reading 220kph (@136mph) on Hwy 4 coming back from Mt Lassen once ...but my nephew read 115mph on the GPS. We kept that run between us. ;)

With the new triple 45 Weber set up, was hitting about 185kph (@115mph) before running out of straight-away on Thunderhill Raceway last Friday. Haven't found the 'new' top-end yet...

The old speedo readings are more fun than the GPS' ;)

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
Many a times…….German autobahn 245 kmph/ 152 mph
Alpina Group A engine/ 286hp on last dyno
5spd dogleg
3:07 rear diff
Keshav, your comment doesn't count. I have gone as fast as a CSI and a CS will go on the Autobahn. That's just driving as far as I am concerned, in Germany. on a German road in a German maintained car with a housewife in a 160MPH Audi estate pacing you. Driving fast in this United States is a stunt. Pot holes, cinder blocks, a mattress here and there and someone pulling into the left lane without warning...too much fun!

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had my 2002 up to about 105MPH once...

Going east out of Maricopa on HWY 166 - the road there is straight as an arrow for as long as you could see going through open country. I was heading towards the Edwards AFB Open House in 1985 or 1986... The road there goes downhill a bit and with a tail wind at we hit that speed about 6am on a Saturday. LOL I had a hell of a time keeping up with a 1972 or 73 Honda CVCC that a friend of mine had (and he had that car hot rodded up a fair bit - a real go-kart)

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fastest I’ve driven my coupe is about 45mph. It starts to shake. I think it needs a new guibo or center bearing. Nothing beats seeing the ground go by your feet at 45mph though.

Only other coupes I have driven are for PPI and haven’t really exceeded 35mph. :(

I’ve never ridden in an e9 as a passenger. Sadly my weekends are too precious to ride shotgun on a day trip.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
About 100 kph for me.

Sadly E9's are not that fast. They get along okay on highways, but are slugs getting up hills or off the lights, as they are heavy.

My little Alfa GTV 2000 is quicker than my 206 HP (on dyno) CSL.

Last edited:

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
135 mph on the four lane Rt 1 in Brunswick Maine. 3.5 liter, and it had Weber 32/36s at the time (now has 38/38s). Still had a lot of get up and go, but without any aerodynamics on the car it was getting a bit light on the front end.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The stated CSiL top speed was 135mph. In the UK the period publishers never got the CSL past 133mph. Motorsport Magazine clocked it at 146mph using mile marker timing, and it was 6mph off from the speedo.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Markos Too bad Steve said "How fast have you DRIVEN your coupe?" because I'm sure yours has gone faster on a trailer. ;)