Some classics damaged by hurricane Ian

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Friends,
BMW 2002 Turbo 4290151 is now on it's way to NH. I acquired the car directly from the owner after he received his insurance settlement. I'll be doing a full restoration on this car, dipped, stripped, neutralized to get rid of the salt and all of the rust. Long detailed process, with lots of cleaning beyond a normal nut and bolt restoration.

Mario L.
VSR1.com
that's wonderful news Mario ... looking forward to seeing some pics of the car when you are done.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score

I thought this 74 Bav with the automatic looked familiar. It once belonged to Jackie O. The VIN (3180458) checks out.
Its a 3.0s so it has leather, wood trim door cards, extra trim and alloys

Looks like it was available in 2016 for $295,000 from a Florida owner. Hope he had agreed value insurance

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I acquired the car directly from the owner after he received his insurance settlement.
@Mario L. did the owner "cash out" with your purchase or did it get tagged a total loss? Clean FL title versus salvaged. Not sure how much it would matter but it might to some people.

Mario L.

Reaction score
@Mario L. did the owner "cash out" with your purchase or did it get tagged a total loss? Clean FL title versus salvaged. Not sure how much it would matter but it might to some people.
Seller had to work thru the whole process with his insurance company, I bought it from him once the insurance came back with a buy back price. It does have a salvage title, but my restoration will make this car newer than even the most intense restoration. This will be documented with several thousand pictures.
The salt water bath submerged the car to the bottom of the instrument cluster. I will disassembling everything, and what I can't restore gets replaced. Fortunatley the body has no previous rust, so a full chemical dip is planned. NOT and acid dip. All the critical stuff is already out of the car.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
This will be documented with several thousand pictures.
It would be cool to do a YouTube documentary of the process. It would be very popular. Maybe work with an established YouTube-er so you don't have to worry about the extra time it takes.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm particularly interested in how much can be salvaged. Definitely would love to see project and I'm sure they guys on the Turbo discussion section on the FAQ would like it too. Could be a real learning experience and also show what it takes to restore a car without cutting corners. Maybe it will help to make me more excited about my project, so it might be an entirely selfish ask. :D

jamesw

Reaction score
It's good that you got your hands on the car fast. The ones that go through the auction houses don't even get TOUCHED until everything is settled - they just sit and rot for months. It's such a shame.

James

Mario L.

Reaction score
Getting my hands on the car quickly was certainly a chase and essential. A few things fell into place, the original owner was very helpful, the car was insured by Chubb, so no protracted communications thru an insurance agency, and lastly I had transportation arranged before the car was free to leave. Much of the car is already apart . .