Some classics damaged by hurricane Ian

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Local Porsche guy was telling me there is a specialty company, I think he said in GA, that specializes in flood cars. He went there looking to buy a Porsche to turn into a race car; said the car he saw was too nice to chop up.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if i bought a car like the turbo, i would make an appt with Mario and send it directly to him ...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The turbo 2002 will always be the "flood car" or the "Hurricane Ian" car. In today's world maybe that would increase the value. ;)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you are thinking of buying a used DD do it now. In a month or less, perhaps at this moment, thousands of cars will be washed and cleaned, their titles will be scrubbed and dumped on used car markets all over the country. This is truly BuyerBeware time.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you are thinking of buying a used DD do it now. In a month or less, perhaps at this moment, thousands of cars will be washed and cleaned, their titles will be scrubbed and dumped on used car markets all over the country. This is truly BuyerBeware time.
I thought scrubbing titles is both a federal offense and nearly impossible now?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought scrubbing titles is both a federal offense and nearly impossible now?
It's still done. Where there's a will...

The difference now is the online history of most vehicles. Especially if it goes through an insurance auction.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
not all states brand titles. i look at this subject a little differently. if you could buy a cool car like the 2002 turbo for a song - fix it correctly ... you could actually drive it with a rebuilt title and not be so worried about the value or potential damage ...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's still done. Where there's a will...

The difference now is the online history of most vehicles. Especially if it goes through an insurance auction.
probably less issue if sold internationally where it might be a little harder to trace those things

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
very true ... but there is a hope ... might be microscopically slim (like winning powerball - maybe better)

D-jetronic

Reaction score
BMW Belgium N.V.S.A. KONTICH

Hmm, That plate looks unusual, but I don't have enough experience to know if it is or isn't.
Kontich was official BMW dealer in Belgium in the 70 ies .
I have seen many BMW 2002 with Kontich plates at that time ...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the 2002 turbo has some updates to the listing. still not open for bids

1. Vehicles listed as "Enhanced Vehicles" are those where: (i) the seller has authorized Copart to perform an enhancement service to the vehicle such as a wash and vacuum or protective covering or (ii) the vehicle is under a program that gives Copart discretion to utilize enhancement services to maximize the value of the vehicle. This designation does not guarantee that any enhancement service was completed but rather indicates that qualifying vehicles would likely be enhanced. It is the Member's responsibility to inspect and verify the utilization of enhancement services.

2. This vehicle was recovered from a storm event and has undergone special treatments to extract water and to attempt to prevent mold, fungus and odors.

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Photo of plates of a BMW 2002 turbo
from belgium and owned by a relative
I think this car has spent some times in belgium .

Attachments

• EDC2978D-8A3F-469C-A63E-96D937A0BBC7.jpeg
    EDC2978D-8A3F-469C-A63E-96D937A0BBC7.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 74

Redrumm3

Reaction score
I went to the Copart Punta Gorda South site today to try and preview some of the lots including the 2002 Turbo. Unfortunately, I could not get in, they are not allowing previews of the inventory at this time and probably will not for at least the next 30 days. Too much volume and traffic at the location is the reason.

Cars are still coming into the the lot by the hundreds daily.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went to the Copart Punta Gorda South site today to try and preview some of the lots including the 2002 Turbo. Unfortunately, I could not get in, they are not allowing previews of the inventory at this time and probably will not for at least the next 30 days. Too much volume and traffic at the location is the reason.

Cars are still coming into the the lot by the hundreds daily.
They opened the Sanibel causeway yesterday, and therefore now is the first time there was even a chance for a waterlogged car to leave Sanibel and Captiva Islands. Probably 95 percent are flooded and destroyed. Only the Sanctuary neighborhood on Sanibel avoided flooding. The other 95 percent of the island had 5-8 feet of water in or under every structure.
My dead Tesla is still in my driveway. The fire dept moved it away from the structure.
Over 1,000 people did not evacuate as ordered. And they almost all have no car to drive. Really hard to buy or rent anything in this area.
And really hard to negotiate a good deal on a car when you arrive in a taxi!
Four people are dead and countless businesses destroyed. It's rough out there.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ugh, this will be a long road back. What happened in Andrew was people took their insurance payout, sold their waterlogged wreck for what they could and moved farther north thinking Broward county and north was much safer.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott, thanks for the update. all of us that have lived in hurricane prone areas relive the pain with you and your neighbors. its hard enough to buy a new or used car in most parts of the country ... can't imagine how hard it might be down there. could save money flying north and driving home with a car

Mario L.

Reaction score
Friends,
BMW 2002 Turbo 4290151 is now on it's way to NH. I acquired the car directly from the owner after he received his insurance settlement. I'll be doing a full restoration on this car, dipped, stripped, neutralized to get rid of the salt and all of the rust. Long detailed process, with lots of cleaning beyond a normal nut and bolt restoration.

Mario L.
VSR1.com