Monterey Memories

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Finally home, after a 14 plus hour drive yesterday. It's all a wonderful blur, what a great trip!! It was so great to meet and talk to so many of you.

Here's a shot my friend took of 56 coupes at Legends.

coupes.JPG

Working at Pebble with my two bearded friends

pebble.JPG

The coupe with a couple of sharks at our Pebble house.

pebblehouse.JPG

Last edited:

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris, I wish to say I am in awe of your patience and graciousness. It was pleasure to finally meet you and those assembled in that beach house in Pacific Grove. I so wanted to speak to you at LOTA but you had so much to do. Then at the track on Saturday, well, it was the usual overwhelming experience of everything automotive. What an awesome day. To read that your son wants to return next year with his 2002, well, a father should be very proud! Happy for you man! Was so great to experience what Monterey really is during car week, and I got out of there without buying that Maserati Mexico, whew! Mike :)

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Okay all, some of the east coasters and our friend from Austin are officially coming back next year. I think Gordon McCall's post drew some added interest to our Carmel property so I just rebooked it for next year as two new renters wanted to secure this childhood house of Gordon McCall according to the landlord this morning! Thank goodness I asked her for first refusal rights. The question now is my E9. I will need to lobby hard with my COO/CFO but I'd like to send my car back and do the full Highway One drive and Carmel Concours, two things I was not able to complete this year. Plus, at LOTA, I'd like to be judged next year in the category after Mike Burger, of course. This is not a cheap date, clearly, but as I get older I think the things that matter most to me are those that have high emotional impact and car related carries bonus points. When I look back to the full remarkable week in Monterey, one of the things I liked most was just being in my car that much time, which is rare. Then there was my time with my E9 room mates and the swell time at those special E9 parties. Maybe Benji will have his car by then too.

So Chris Ohmes and Peter C are in, plus my son and I. Peter is bringing his E9 potentially!

Anyone up to celebrating BMW's 101st birthday?

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
This was one of those trips where I didn't get to spend enough time with friends. I would have really enjoyed spending more time getting to know all the e9 guys; but unfortunately I was also working while in Monterey. I am really glad to hear that all of you had a great time and that you are considering coming back next year. Hopefully I can be more involved and help facilitate the trip and activities!

cskid

Reaction score
Had a great time at Monterey car week, enjoyed meeting some of you. I've got about 1500 photos to go through but I'll sort out the good ones and post them up here in a few days time

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just watched Historic Cars: Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance on the CBS Sports Spectacular network and saw Andrew (wearing his very stylish lobster Bermuda shorts) near the front row of the lawn wating for the cars to cross the awards platform. The memories are still fresh but it was great to watch the show and reminisce.

Doug

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just watched Historic Cars: Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance on the CBS Sports Spectacular network and saw Andrew (wearing his very stylish lobster Bermuda shorts) near the front row of the lawn wating for the cars to cross the awards platform. The memories are still fresh but it was great to watch the show and reminisce.

Doug

That's awesome!

Bwana

Reaction score
We just made it home yesterday from the Santa Fe Concorso and the Santa Fe 500. 5200 miles round trip with no issues! But I've already got a list 3/4 of a page long of stuff I want to clean up before next year's BMWV&CCA run to New England.

From the 500. When a friend of mine saw this picture he said "why did you let all those crummy cars park near you? Where's James Bond!"

P9261027_zpssghkex9t.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That's an epic road trip, congrats. A testament to how reliable these cars still are if given proper attention. I drove 100 miles each way to Biloxi yesterday and my butt is sore, I can't imagine that much mileage!

We just made it home yesterday from the Santa Fe Concorso and the Santa Fe 500. 5200 miles round trip with no issues! But I've already got a list 3/4 of a page long of stuff I want to clean up before next year's BMWV&CCA run to New England.

From the 500. When a friend of mine saw this picture he said "why did you let all those crummy cars park near you? Where's James Bond!"

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's an epic road trip, congrats. A testament to how reliable these cars still are if given proper attention. I drove 100 miles each way to Biloxi yesterday and my butt is sore, I can't imagine that much mileage!

As much as I love the idea of listening to my triples on the open road, I think part of Jeff & Andrew's success over thousands of miles of terrain at different altitudes was the fact they are running fuel injection. ;)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So, time for my little story; of course I told my future-ex-wife 2 years ago that I was going to go on this trip but that didn't stop the AK-47 stare-down from her when the date was fast-approaching. I had to escape a little early to avoid getting caught in the cross-hairs so I took a flight to LA and Uber'd to the Cadillac Hotel in Venice where you can visit the world-famous beach, go to a 4-star restaurant for dinner and smoke cigarettes with homeless people within 40 feet of the front door. Wayne K was kind enough to pick me up on Sunday morning, grab Chris & Doug from LAX and scoot us down to Irvine to watch the cars get unloaded from the truck.

I was the only guy there without a coupe, that's because I was to much of a sissy to drive mine and too cheap to ship it out-but I'm working on it- Anyhow, I drove up quite a ways with Chris O and I think they were all driving a little too fast but I reasoned that hey, these guys are mature, they have allot of money tied up in these cars, we're not gonna crash... well, that part was right with the grace of God.

Were these guys in trouble, I was the navigator! First stop was to find coffee; truth was that I needed a smoke and there was no way that was going to happen in the coupe so as luck would have it I navigated us off the highway to a very nice shopping center where we parked the cars in the sunshine and got out to stretch our legs. Chris' coupe had a little mis-fire that developed into a rather harsh one but after poking around he determined that it must have been a spark plug wire coming off the cap since he was in there jacking around earlier. Yay, we're back on the road???

Chris' A's CSL was one I wanted to ride in and he had a little issue with the trunk lock which we were able to figure out in short order and the look of relief on his face- since he could now reach his libations- was very touching, I asked him if I could ride with him and he handed me the keys... oooh pinch me! Not you Chris, her. I was a little nervous, first because I know how dear the car is to Chris but more importantly because these guys drive a little fast, we passed the Porsche Club, the Viper Club, and the Shelby Club, I mean really passed them! so I figured that I was expected to keep pace and as mentioned above I'm a bit of a sissy. I looked at the speed and said to Chris, "I think your speedo is off, there's no way we're doing 190 miles per hour, he said that's kilometers ..idiot, ...oh, sorry..

When I got out of Chris' car (at the next stop) Doug, should we tell everybody what YOU did??? I asked Wayne for a ride which was a little less nutty but just as fast. Well, we had a little mishap with Wayne's Voltage regulator before reaching one of the "retreats" but things were pretty smooth after that.

Next favorite memories; the Alpha model (Christine) and the Beechcraft hostess (Heather). All-in-all a superior trip!!! Thank you all and Mr. McCall, you throw a great "gathering"!!!

Bwana

Reaction score
As much as I love the idea of listening to my triples on the open road, I think part of Jeff & Andrew's success over thousands of miles of terrain at different altitudes was the fact they are running fuel injection. ;)
Yes, I believe you are exactly right. Doug had a terrible time for a while with his triple Webers at altitude and the restored '67' E-Type that was with us on the 500 was sputtering like crazy at 10,000 ft. No issues with FI!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Didn't Andrew have an altitude issue?

Yes, I believe you are exactly right. Doug had a terrible time for a while with his triple Webers at altitude and the restored '67' E-Type that was with us on the 500 was sputtering like crazy at 10,000 ft. No issues with FI!

TodB

Reaction score
Next favorite memories; the Alpha model (Christine) and the Beechcraft hostess (Heather). All-in-all a superior trip!!! Thank you all and Mr. McCall, you throw a great "gathering"!!!

Apparently you forgot about "guess-where-Im-from" Miss Mexico