Monterey Memories

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
e86ca97bdd3d240281182f979854ecd4.jpg

Jackie Stewart extolling the virtues of the 1982 Ford Tempo (remember those ads?). Actually it is the class winning Ferrari P4, the only original one left.

Jackie Stewart on the Ford Tempo
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...kie-stewart-pitches-ford-tempo/1#.V74AX5grLcs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
2549e460553d4124dabfe30420a735ef.jpg

e9e6955e8b1b84df3a4e38c9e38f3361.jpg
291c5dfcf8e4b0bff0cd9ef8589a0e52.jpg
5198f02b04bd5f9c759e70b1ef24b8b0.jpg

TodB in the corkscrew.
BMW race cars in the corkscrew
Prewar madness
The first e9 ever to appear on the lawn of Pebble Beach!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
We noticed that the green Alpina E12 race car was pushing pretty hard during the races, aggressively hitting the corkscrew each and every time. We saw the driver back in the BMW area so the car must be owned by BMW. We were talking to the driver and asked if he was a factory driver.

"No, I am Andy, I own Alpina". Sure enough, this was THE Andy B the son of the man who started Alpina back in the 60s. Who knew.

After chatting a bit, we went back to the VSR paddock where the Auty Quail winner (shameless name drop there) was staged next to the freshly restored Schnitzer 02. Chris mentioned the story to Mario who suggested that he go get Andy, and bring him back to sign his car. Off goes Auty. Five minutes later, the two of them, Andy still in his race suit, are walking into the VSR paddock. Andy was genuinely interested in the car even taking pictures with his own camera, finally signing Chris' car under the hood.

View attachment 19834 View attachment 19835

Auty is such a wallflower...

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Friday should have been called "Legends of the Forum". I still cannot believe how many flawless coupes are owned by members (hope to restore mine to that level someday).

One of my final memories was after after loading my coupe onto the transporter behind the Gooding and Co tent, I needed to get back to my hotel in Pacific Grove . I walked down to the Pebble Beach Lodge and tried to use the Uber App that my daughter had installed on my phone. After numerous unsuccessful attempts I finally went into the lobby and got help at the concierge desk from someone younger. In walks Jacky Ickx who had been an honary judge at the Concours the day before. He was extremely gracious as I told him what an honor and thrill it was to meet one of my heroes. I mentioned that I had just driven my coupe from Miami to enjoy the festivities. His french accent almost seemed to disappear when he replied "that's a helluva drive"........ I assured him it was indeed.

Doug

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Okay, one more high point for my weekend at Laguna Seca. After the thrill of semi-hustling around the track twice in Blue Belle, I had an even better experience thanks to BMW CSL #59 racing car owner, Kevin Ladd. He joined our East Coast group with his E24 M6 and drove with us (Tod Bryant, Chris Auty, Chris Ohmes, Doug Dolan) from Orange County the week before with his wife Carolyn . Yes, you will see that I'm quite a dork starting a race car. I guess if my stock E9 had a master switch I would have figured this out. But nonetheless, Jack Deren, the original crew chief of this Daytona 24 hour winning CSL in 1976 literally added some priming to help things along. See this short video on You Tube:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
While I was taking this video I noticed right after the first rev, that I was standing next to the exhaust pipes. As you can see, I move my vantage point for the rest of the video. I think it was me saying "wow!"

latebrake

Reaction score
Aside from the awesome-ness of driving Blue Belle for a solid week (well, except from the one day down with the alternator problem!) I want to first acknowledge my MVP awards go to Chris, Shawn and Collin Macha for their huge efforts in organization and making the east coast gang feel so welcome. A special thanks to Chris for saving my E9 bacon with a new voltage regulator in Salinas upon my arrival in the peninsula. And one of my roomates, Peter Coomaraswamy, for getting a whole new alternator the next day in case my voltage regulator was not the right cure, as well as his unique sense of humor as he got our very important coffee maker to work again. My other room mates - Stan Chamallas, Doug Dolan and Chris Ohmes -- for making the whole event even more special on and off the track and events. My only regret is not spending enough time with Don Lawrence to catch up, but Benji and Peter C gave me several valuable updates! Several bucket list high points -- the drive up with my roomates, Tod Bryant, Chris Auty, Kevin Ladd and his wife Carolyn, occasionally at speeds well above the posted limits....the Carmel Concours while my car was in Salinas but seeing people drool over Chris Ohmes' and Doug's E9s...the Jet Center party which I told Chuck Moss doubled my net wort...too many craft beers over too many days from start to finish....Laguna Seca parade laps with Stan being chased by Paul Cain...and a great dinner party at Tod's place our first night.

A special thanks to Tim Wyman and the Walkers for sure. And I finally met Sven Larson in person. We megasquirt guys need to stick together!

The funniest part of the trip -- having my shoulder belt come off at the roof anchor point and land in my lap as Stan and I drove to pick up his Pebble tickets Sunday morning.

I'm already thinking of celebrating BMW's 101st birthday next year the same way, except completing the highway one drive and actually getting my car into the Carmel Concours this time.

Pictures attached are our beauties in front of our Carmel house and our group having Sunday morning breakfast before the Concours action in Pebble Beach. My son is next to me and we've been going to Monterey since he was 12.
View attachment 19831 View attachment 19832

Hi guys, Gordon McCall here......just wanted to thank you all for coming to our Jet Center event this year. As an E9 owner, I was very proud to see such a great line up of Coupes amongst the Jets.....thank you!! To top it off, it turns out that the house you rented was the house that I grew up in. My mom would have loved that you stayed there, as she was a 2002 owner from the early '70's. She passed in 2012, but was smiling for sure, as am I............

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What beats a view of 56 coupes lined up on the lawn? The party at Tim's! I have been to family events where I knew fewer people. Arriving close to on time was a challenge as my roomies, Wayne, Chris O, Doug, and Peter managed to stuff 6 days of fun into the 4 days I spent with them. Was fantastic to see a lot of old friends like Sven, Don, Chris M (Shawn and Collin too!!), Burger, Peter (Coupe King) Eric (Coupe Prince?), Carl, Chuck, Peter G, etc etc and putting faces with names with whom I have communicated on this board. Benji, Doug Mc, etc, great to put a face with a name. A veritable who's who in the E9 world! I was overwhelmed!
It has taken me this long to settle down and collect my thoughts! WOW what a spectacular time! So hard to pick one event or moment in time as the best. As Wayne said, a definite "bucket list" check off.

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi guys, Gordon McCall here......just wanted to thank you all for coming to our Jet Center event this year. As an E9 owner, I was very proud to see such a great line up of Coupes amongst the Jets.....thank you!! To top it off, it turns out that the house you rented was the house that I grew up in. My mom would have loved that you stayed there, as she was a 2002 owner from the early '70's. She passed in 2012, but was smiling for sure, as am I............

Hi Gordon -- Thanks for having us. This was my first visit to Monterey Car Week, and your kick off Gala made quite an impression. And needless to say, I got a handful of great pictures of my car:

Monterey%20Adventure%20306.jpg

Last edited:

Cabrio330

Reaction score
Awesome stories! Love the one about James Woods - I follow him on Twitter so was hoping I would run into him too, but no luck.

I sold my 1972 3.0CS to m5bb a few years back so I have been out of the E9 world for a while now, but I never stop thinking about them. My wife and I celebrated our 30th anniversary by spending 10 days driving coastal California from San Diego all the way up to Eureka and back to Monterey for the Concours weekend. This was a trip with many firsts for me, including playing golf at Pebble Beach, attending Festorics and attending the Concours d'Elegance. I must say the memory that still lingers most vividly in my mind are the visions of beautiful E9s everywhere! It was almost sensory overload! I am sure the folks here know this, but you are all fortunate to have these special cars and the special relationships among other enthusiasts. I hope to get back into the ownership fold someday soon!

A final takeaway from our trip was my wife's statement - repeated several times during our trip - that she wishes I never sold my coupe. Funny, because she was always very indifferent about it when I owned it! I am thinking that iron will be hot for a while, so maybe I can strike before it cools down...if only coupe prices weren't going nuts!

Cheers,

Richard

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
A final takeaway from our trip was my wife's statement - repeated several times during our trip - that she wishes I never sold my coupe. Funny, because she was always very indifferent about it when I owned it! I am thinking that iron will be hot for a while, so maybe I can strike before it cools down...if only coupe prices weren't going nuts!

For me it gets down to how much they get used. Years back I had an E-type Roadster and a 3.0cs at the same time but convinced myself that I only needed one because of lack of space. The decision got down to the fact that we jump in the coupe and drive two or three hours to a place, spend the day not worrying about the car at all, then make the trek back home. The E-type was a drive-around-town and not too far away from home car because of the feeling of unreliability (even though it never stranded me anywhere). Two seater car with a tow card in your pocket versus a two seater with jump seats and drive it anywhere car. The coupe won. Value wise I probably should've kept the E-type, but the coupe is coming back strong lately. :)

Cabrio330

Reaction score
For me it gets down to how much they get used. Years back I had an E-type Roadster and a 3.0cs at the same time but convinced myself that I only needed one because of lack of space. The decision got down to the fact that we jump in the coupe and drive two or three hours to a place, spend the day not worrying about the car at all, then make the trek back home. The E-type was a drive-around-town and not too far away from home car because of the feeling of unreliability (even though it never stranded me anywhere). Two seater car with a tow card in your pocket versus a two seater with jump seats and drive it anywhere car. The coupe won. Value wise I probably should've kept the E-type, but the coupe is coming back strong lately. :)

I understand completely. For me, it came down to my coupe being too unreliable for regular use. I am not as handy as I used to be (ability and space availability) and finding a reliable, reasonable & convenient mechanic that could trouble shoot a 40-year old carburetor car with electric windows was a challenge. I am now in a position where I can fit a less-than-100% reliable car into my 2-car stable, but still, for me, the best E9 for me would be fuel injected with manual front windows. If said car happened to be fjord blue, I could live with that too! ;)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I thought I would collect my thoughts on the events of the last week beginning with Sunday the 14th. The East Coast coupers arrived and we met for dinner at Javier’s on the Newport Coast including Tod B, Wayne K, Chris O, Chris A, Doug D and Peter C with a visit from Shane. But first we had the official debut of OCCoupe’s (Mike’s) Nachtblau coupe at Paul Cain’s home when we raised the garage door to music and champagne.

On Monday the east coast gang departed for Monterey and unfortunately Hwy 1 was closed due to the fire near Big Sur but they had a nice drive until Wayne’s alternator went out almost within sight of their destination. My son Collin left with me on Tuesday in the coupe with Paul and Mike Pelly in his Tii followed by Ivo Christov from the Netherlands driving Mike’s 3.3Li and Doug Park in his e39 M5. Collin and I arrived in Salinas with a new alternator brush for Wayne around 6:30 and had time to enjoy a beer or two and met Mike B. You have already seen pics of the boys’ adventures at the Concours on the Avenue in Carmel that day.

Thanks to the generosity of Gordon McCall we had ten coupes (and three others including Gordon’s) and one Tii at the Monterey Jet Center for his Motorworks Revival event on Wednesday evening. Lots of celebrities were in attendance and many stunning cars as well but free drinks and food were the order of the evening.

On Thursday I had help from Sven L and Gary C as well as Kevin Ladd, owner of the #59 CSL which was displayed at the track, at the golf course marking the parking spots for judged and display cars the following day. That evening we gathered in Pacific Grove for a coupe owners’ get together at a home rented by Tim Wyman and Don Lawrence and had at least 80 attendees! I met many members of this Forum, some for the first time, including Bwana (Jeff), Benji, Doug M, Mike from B.C., Richard W and old timers Chuck Moss, Kurt D, Shawn H, Dave D, John P, Ping T, Carl Nelson, Peter and Erik Sliskovich, Jon I, Gavin A, Vince M, David M, Lonny and LouAnn Shirk and of course Andrew. I am sure I left many others out so my apologies in advance.

The Legends event on Friday was amazing with a record turnout of BMWs including 55 or more coupes and over 75 2002s. We never would have gotten everyone parked if I didn’t have my helpers, Gary, Wayne, Doug, Stan, Chris O and more importantly Collin and my wife Shawn who parked cars from 6:15 until 11:00, well after judging had started. Judging started at 9:30 and lasted until noon or so, I had to judge 16 2002s and there were some incredible cars. Then it was time for awards and our son Collin came through again, he organized seven categories of cars on fairway 2 all by himself and got them into the awards lineup just in time. Did I mention he is only 16?

Winning first place in the Concours Coupe category was our own Mike Burger, second was Bob Brumfeld in another Nachtblau/white coupe with Sven taking third. Chris Kohler who posts here occasionally won first in Clean with his e28 Alpina B7 Turbo. As reported earlier Chris A beat 16 other BMWs to take first place at The Quail with his CSL.

Saturday found us at Laguna Seca for the Festorics and we arrived at 6:00 in darkness and fog but started parking cars in the parade lap area (thanks again to Collin and Shawn who never complained even though Collin was freezing). Everyone enjoyed the two parade laps where we were able to get up to 50 mph at times in a group of 110 cars of every vintage, color and model that we could accommodate. Drivers included Lonny, Tod, Paul, Doug, Gavin, Wayne K, Wayne W, Tim and I along with Shane in his Golf Bavaria. Don and Stan got rides as well and I was able to show my wife and son what turn 8, the Corkscrew, is all about and they were thrilled. In the pits we saw Mario, Carl, Steve Walker and their cars along with Pete Gleason’s beautiful machines. Somewhere I ran into Bo I think too. We finished with dinner at Larry Walker’s home in Pacific Grove with 80 guests, all BMW fanatics.

Sunday began at 4:30 when we left PG to drive into Pebble for the Concours at which many of us volunteer. I actually got to lead the first entrant onto the field at 6:15 in my golf cart and saw quite a few of our members during the day including Scott C. The one downer was Jay Leno who was fairly rude when asked to stand back so award winners could drive up to the staging lanes for awards. We didn’t finish until 7 or so, a very long day so Monday became the rest day. Tuesday was O’fest judges meeting, cocktail party and dinner.

The finale was the O’fest Concours Wednesday morning at Folktale Winery, 45 cars and many more display cars. Again, Mike brought home First Place in Concours Modified and Gary Collins was third. Concours Original was Chris Kohler, Vintage Super Clean went to Mike Pelly and his Tii, David M was first in 80s Clean and Vince was first (I think?) in Vintage Clean with his coupe. Then it was time to drive home arriving in HB around 9PM.

I know this was way too long but I wanted to thank those who helped out immensely and to recognize all those whom I met, many for the first time, and to recognize the award winners. I am sure I left many out but this event is not going to be equaled in our lifetime and I know everyone had just as much fun as I did. I am also glad it is finally over! Oh, and Collin told me he wants to drive up in his 2002 next year, I have a car guy, who knew? Anyone up for the Vintage next May?

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris Macha, and all of you who have written of your joys (and an occasional escapade) over the past 10 days. The Monterey weekend is indeed an automobile sensory overload (traveled west for it twice). BUT - the 100th anniversary and so many of you having your cars there made it extra special this year. My congratulations to all attendees on the effort you put forth to get there, and especially those of you from 'back east' (like me) who took the long trip either via your e9 (very special), or via a plane and transporter. It certainly was a wonderful week plus for everyone.

I do wish the timing for me completing my car's interior would have allowed there to be one other car/driver present. But, since we left for our 4 weeks in Kauai on 8/20, I'm quite sure it would not have worked out anyway. Guess - I'll just have to put up with the scenery and weather/golf/snorkeling, etc. here to help assuage my disappointment. BUT - I AM disappointed that it didn't work for me!!! I've attended 4 national meetings of P 928 owners over the past 15 years, and greatly enjoyed them with about 50-75 other owners who I primarily 'knew' via the internet. We had attendees from Germany, Australia, Canada, England, at those meets. It really is great to get wonderfully interesting 'gearheads' together who have a mutual interest in the same cars.

bcoli

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Our Monterey weekend story is a little different...
This was our first time to the historic races & with BMW's 100th anniversary, we were really excited to go.
We towed our travel trailer and stayed in the Chapparell campground, less than 300 yards from turns 2 and 5.
We left Wednesday evening after work, and by midnight I had come down with a nasty cold/flu (felt like I got run over by a truck).
Arrived at the track about 8am Thursday, only to find that none of the 12 volt equipment in the trailer would work (it had all worked fine at home). I tried everything that I could think of ( in my miserable condition) with no luck. About 12:30 my wife suggested that we just go to Carmel and see the cars on the Avenue (this was one of the must-do items on my list, I thought I was going to miss it working on the trailer). Not knowing much about where to go, we parked about 10 blocks away and followed the crowd into town; what an awesome reward seeing the tour cars lined up was! We stopped & bought some ice on our way home to keep our food cold, got home & putzed a little more and discovered a corroded connection that was causing the malfunction. That deserved a nap (we had stopped for a rest on the way down, but it was so hot that we didn't sleep much).
Friday we went to LOTA and really enjoyed seeing all the cars (especially the coupes), but I still didn't have much energy, so went home for another nap (Sue went & watched the races). Saturday we looked at many of the cars & watched the races. I bumped into Chris Macha parking the 100 BMW's selected to drive around the track at lunch and also ran into a friend from home that had been selected for that honor; he was totally stoked and showed us his very early 1600.
Sunday, we watched the rest of the races (I was beginning to feel nearly human).

Really sorry that I didn't get to meet many of you, but we did have a GREAT time & are thinking of going back next year.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
HBChris - I cannot thank you enough for your hospitality, for incorporating us into the festivities you had planned, for the docent aircraft tour and for facilitating a fantastic and memorable week. I regret that I neglected to see the engine you built, but we can rectify that little problem at the Vintage.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, As always it was my pleasure. Here are some pics for everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_2325.JPG
    IMG_2325.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2326.JPG
    IMG_2326.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2327.JPG
    IMG_2327.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2331.JPG
    IMG_2331.JPG