Monterey Memories

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, I believe you are exactly right. Doug had a terrible time for a while with his triple Webers at altitude and the restored '67' E-Type that was with us on the 500 was sputtering like crazy at 10,000 ft. No issues with FI!

Yes, but the triples sang beautifully across the valleys between the mountains and of course back here at sea level in Miami............ Although I could be looking for some higher ground soon depending on the path Matthew takes. I am guessing even FI would not run well below sea level!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tod, thanks for reminding me that I have no memory! and now that I think of it, Chris M, we would have been better off sticking by you-

Let's see what next year brings:)

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Let it be known that Peter is being modest:

-- On our first day of driving, when I wasn't firing on all my cylinders and was wondering if I was going to make it to Carmel, Peter opens the hood and spots my loose spark plug wire. My engine ran great thereafter.
-- That same day, Chris couldn't get into his trunk. This was more than a little inconvenient, Chris was having his car judged at the Quail and would flunk without being able to open his trunk. Peter layed his hands upon the lock and coaxed it open. Chris won the Quail.
-- When the nut fell off the bushing holding up my shifter platform, leaving me to pull up on the shift lever every time I needed to shift, Peter rigged up a fix that got me home.

Not sure what Christine or Heather or Miss Mexico would say, but we took to calling Peter the guy with the magic hands.

1973PolarisCS

Awesome stories! Love the one about James Woods - I follow him on Twitter so was hoping I would run into him too, but no luck.

I sold my 1972 3.0CS to m5bb a few years back so I have been out of the E9 world for a while now, but I never stop thinking about them. My wife and I celebrated our 30th anniversary by spending 10 days driving coastal California from San Diego all the way up to Eureka and back to Monterey for the Concours weekend. This was a trip with many firsts for me, including playing golf at Pebble Beach, attending Festorics and attending the Concours d'Elegance. I must say the memory that still lingers most vividly in my mind are the visions of beautiful E9s everywhere! It was almost sensory overload! I am sure the folks here know this, but you are all fortunate to have these special cars and the special relationships among other enthusiasts. I hope to get back into the ownership fold someday soon!

A final takeaway from our trip was my wife's statement - repeated several times during our trip - that she wishes I never sold my coupe. Funny, because she was always very indifferent about it when I owned it! I am thinking that iron will be hot for a while, so maybe I can strike before it cools down...if only coupe prices weren't going nuts!

Cheers,

Richard

1973PolarisCS

Richard,

I think your wife will like my mother's car:

This car, in original Polaris Silver with a new (re-built) engine and transmission, originally belonged to my mother, and spent its entire life in a heated garage. Now a pristine, classic collector, this CS has been lovingly maintained and looks brand new. My father was an engineer, and early-on he had the undercarriage plating of this car modified to eliminate the rust issues endemic to E-9s. The car has never had any accidents or dents - and it shows. Very light usage and low miles (61k) maintained by a small army of BMW mechanics with a lot of time on their hands (in those days). All but the newly installed engine, transmission and cooling system are original, refurbished, or reconditioned, including the powerful, fully-operational Air Conditioning (!) so she never overheats in traffic on hot days, and blue velour and leather interior with chrome trim and electric windows front and back. 5 SPEED TRANSMISSION: Getrag 265 with 139,000 miles that has been cleaned inside and out, inspected and resealed by Pete’s Gear Shop of Hayward, CA. Custom rebuilt driveshaft. Also installed (March 2016) a BMW M30B35 208 HP 3.5 litre engine from a E-32 735i. Turns on a dime, goes like stink, and, best of all, this car (unlike most) increases in value every year.

All paperwork, maintenance, receipts, and warranties available for scrutiny.

If you own and drive this car, you may get a lot of attention, whether you like it or not! People want to talk or take their picture with the car. People constantly give you their business cards and phone number. Are you ready for that? It's a bit like driving around with a movie star in the passenger seat. If you can handle attention, or are perhaps seeking constant attention (unlike me) then this car could be for you. I can be reached at [email protected] . Let me know if you are interested.

tightbox

Reaction score
Is there a planning thread for car week this year? Excited to meet more forum members!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
But since y'all have resurrected the 2016 thread, here is my favorite 2016 picture:

Monterey Smaller.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, Doug has a set of 16" closed cap Alpinas on his car. He also has an S38 under the hood.

The wheels are very hard to find; I considered looking for a set, but then decided to go with 15s. I think our cars look better with more tire in the wheel well.