group buy on Stahl headers ??

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If I am #6 count me in. I will plan their use later. My son plays woodwinds worst case will make the first Stahl bassoon for the symphony.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Guys,

if we are going to do this, i need some commitments. so far, its Stan + I for sure. then there are some possible maybe candidates (you know who you are). by this sunday, 13 june at midnight eastern time (or by the time i get to the office on monday morning when i open email) ... we are either going to do this or we are not.

so let me know ...
thanks

scott

June???

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
If I am #6 count me in. I will plan their use later. My son plays woodwinds worst case will make the first Stahl bassoon for the symphony.

Keep those ideas coming !!

I am 90% likely to jump aboard the list. (My Son plays Tuba so I should get the Big Tube ones)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
okay guys, looks like scott (me), stan, bob, brian, david, arde + john are in so far - so we have the best price. brian, david + arde, please send me a PM with your email address - i have stan, john + bob's already.

let me know which size each of you want, and who is interested in ceramic coating - extra cost ... or if you want to deal with that on your own.

cheers,
scott

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
It would be good if we all went in on ceramic coating and had Stahl ship directly to one place that will also give us a discount.. I know when I did my shorties, it was very expensive (They coated inside and out). I can't imagine anyone will buy these and let them rust. I still need to decide on a size that would be best for my application. (Leaning towards 1.5).

You think Kormann would be OK giving some guidance to another guy buying factory direct?. I suspect they built my motor anyway.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
He's got it right

Ceramic coating prices seem all over the map.
Here's a place that was recommended to me:
http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/automotive-coatings/automotive-coatings-price-sheet/

$275 is the generic estimate with exact pricing dependent on the specific piece.

I agree that we should get a much better price if we did the coating as a group buy.
My previous experience with Stahl headers says that they are going to rust and a coating is a good idea.

I wonder if Stahl would make them out of stainless if we offered $200 more per header?

Brian D

Reaction score
I think I would still want ceramic for heat reduction

Yes. Amazing stuff if done correctly, I had a set of Jet-Hot coated headers on a Camaro and it was amazing the difference it made in underhood temps. If a suitable discount comes up I'd be in to do the coating as part of a group, I planned on eventually getting them done anyways. At this rate, my car will never be painted...

But a good deal is hard to pass up.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes I am in for 1 3/8 ceramic coated Jet-Hot in Arizona and then delivered to my front porch in Cupertino. Just let me know the grand total and preferred payment. Move over bitcoins, headers are the new currency.

Thanks!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It would be good if we all went in on ceramic coating and had Stahl ship directly to one place that will also give us a discount.. I know when I did my shorties, it was very expensive (They coated inside and out). I can't imagine anyone will buy these and let them rust. I still need to decide on a size that would be best for my application. (Leaning towards 1.5).

You think Kormann would be OK giving some guidance to another guy buying factory direct?. I suspect they built my motor anyway.

all korman rebuilds, except stock rebuilds come with a stahl header. email korman and ask if they rebuilt an engine (vin number). i'll give you a clue, they probably can't tell you. the cam that you have isn't a stock cam. so i wonder if they built the engine. you might also ask VAC motorsports if they did the work - they also paint their engines blue, but lighter blue. the cam may be the key. you also have 45 dcoes. korman would have used their intake manifold. if you have a hot cam and the 45's, you might be in need of the 1.5" headers.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Did we land on 1 3/8" for normal engines and low-end torque ?

Scott, PM is on the way. Thanks for handling this.
that's where i am. did you look at the torque calcs / primary tube size for different engine displacements under the general discussion?

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
that's where i am. did you look at the torque calcs / primary tube size for different engine displacements under the general discussion?

Yep. Very helpful. Shows just what you said. Im still confused about the interaction of the cam and collector but that can wait.

1 3/8" 1 1/2" 1 5/8"
2.8L 3933 4779 5667
3.0L 3671 4460 5290
3.5L 3147 3823 4533

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
all korman rebuilds, except stock rebuilds come with a stahl header. email korman and ask if they rebuilt an engine (vin number). i'll give you a clue, they probably can't tell you. the cam that you have isn't a stock cam. so i wonder if they built the engine. you might also ask VAC motorsports if they did the work - they also paint their engines blue, but lighter blue. the cam may be the key. you also have 45 dcoes. korman would have used their intake manifold. if you have a hot cam and the 45's, you might be in need of the 1.5" headers.

When I bought the car, I phoned Korman to see if they might have built the engine, but they said they did not keep serial number records.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Now that you've seen the cam, could they ID yay/nay based on the various clues you have? blue block, dcoe45, alpina cam etc?

Either way, with your Alpina engine bits, you hit the jackpot

When I bought the car, I phoned Korman to see if they might have built the engine, but they said they did not keep serial number records.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Now that you've seen the cam, could they ID yay/nay based on the various clues you have? blue block, dcoe45, alpina cam etc?

Either way, with your Alpina engine bits, you hit the jackpot

I spoke to Korman today. To say they were friendly is an understatement. The guy I spoke to gave me a lot of advice, but they do not know if they built the engine. I am going to pull the pan in the next day or so and see if it has an Alpina crank scraper.
I guess I am leaning towards the 1.5 headers. I hope when all is said and done, driving a higher strung M30 is a good fit for me. I have had one cammed car in the past (A Golf 1.8 l) It was nice, but certainly was kinda one dimensional when it came to driving it.
My previous daily was an E36 M3. This car had good pull, but a really uninspiring red line. Before that car I had a Corrado VR6. Fantastic engine that wanted to play every time you drove it.
I agree that I got lucky with my E9. Every time I go to the garage, I admire it and ponder something.