group buy on Stahl headers ??

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting. I am getting a picture that headers on my stock engine would be mostly a cosmetic improvement that makes the car more temperamental.

We all need some temperamental beauty around us, but not me at the moment.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arde,

why on earth would you make that statement? look at the attached picture - same engine, same exhaust, same dyno, same everything - except test 1 is a stock manifold and test 2 is a header. there is improvement at every rpm in both torque and HP. you just can't put a giant diameter tube header on a stock engine.

Attachments

• stock vs header.jpg
    stock vs header.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 148

TodB

Reaction score
RSporsche,

Where did that chart with the before and after #s come from?

My modded B34 is fuel injected with the maps modified via a Miller warchip.

TodB

Reaction score
And I'll have to peer under my E28. I believe I extended the header collector pipes before going into the X pipe and back into the OEM catback but I forget.

Brian D

Reaction score
Good Lord. Why has this GROUP BUY thread turned into a debate, when there's a separate tech thread just 2 clicks away?

I'm interested, but my budget can only do this if we get the +6 pricing. Hopefully the rest of you guys don't talk yourself out of this. Some details about how this will work from the money end would be appreciated.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Brian,

i haven't figured the money part of this out, and won't until we get more people (at least 6 committed). i am happy to collect money, coordinate and get Stahl paid once we can place an order (if need be), hopefully we can each order them separately and paid for as part of a group buy. i will need to coordinate / negotiate that along with individual shipping with stahl to keep the shipping costs to a minimum ... as well as my time moving boxes to a shipper to have them sent to those who order. any premium we pay for that is far less than double shipping. i can't carry very much in my porsche.

if you want in on this, please PM me. i know that Stan and I are in, and Brian ... 3 more people in and we will get this rolling. if you don't get information to me within the next 2 weeks ... we are going to close down the idea.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
RSporsche,

Where did that chart with the before and after #s come from?

My modded B34 is fuel injected with the maps modified via a Miller warchip.
Tod,

i got the chart from one of the articles that the links given in the general discussion forum on stahl. these are the articles that i have been suggesting that people read. yes, the engine tested was a chevy 350ci v8 ... but the dyno doesn't care if it has a BMW, Ferrari or lowly chevy label on the engine.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
ceramic coated

can Stahl get them ceeramic coated prior to shipping?
I would go for the grey like Tom P has on his headers

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
can Stahl get them ceeramic coated prior to shipping?
I would go for the grey like Tom P has on his headers
somebody else can figure out where we can get them ceramic coated. if they do, we can have them shipped there ... then sent to us. i don't think stahl does the ceramic coating - there is nothing on their website about that product.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
somebody else can figure out where we can get them ceramic coated. if they do, we can have them shipped there ... then sent to us. i don't think stahl does the ceramic coating - there is nothing on their website about that product.

I will investigate

DerSchwede

Reaction score
I suppose a set of 1 5/8 would suit my 10:1 euro 3.4 with a 284 deg Schrick and 3x45 DCOEs or what do you say? Any of you guys have an idea what the shipping would be to the old world?
Cheers
A

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Arde,

why on earth would you make that statement? look at the attached picture - same engine, same exhaust, same dyno, same everything - except test 1 is a stock manifold and test 2 is a header. there is improvement at every rpm in both torque and HP. you just can't put a giant diameter tube header on a stock engine.

Apologies if I read too much into the thread, I got the feeling that the system was very RPM dependent and my notion that it was all about removing backpressure is wrong. I learned there is exhaust gas speed and standing waves to consider, which means that you can actually do worse than stock in some configs and ranges.

I can be talked into the group buy and wait to install it until some other stock car proves the benefit. If there is no benefit I will sell mine to somebody that has the 3.5L hot cam cars, and will not ask anybody to eat their hats in public. In private would be just fine.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone have an estimate how often these come up on Ebay (used) I have headers of unknown mfg, but they do have some corrosion and might not last forever. With how much I have driven my Coupe, forever might be thousands of years. Anyway, I hate the feeling the train is leaving the station.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
they don't come up very often. currently there are 2 BMW - stahl headers, a 1600 (1 1/4") new from korman and a used 320i. i have only seen a couple come up for an e9 in the last 2 years.

Stan, the jet hot price is cheaper than some prices - i have heard 400+. get it done in bright silver. no idea of who has the best prices / product.

DerSchwede - i don't even know what it would cost to ship within the USA. i am afraid to guess as i know it will not be inexpensive.

Arde, no worries - just didn't know if you were going for humor (usual and usually funny - i look forward to your posts) ... so i decided to answer seriously.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
+1 i am a serial eBay stalker and Stahl's dont come up very often at all, mabe once or twice in my 3 years of lurking.

they don't come up very often. currently there are 2 BMW - stahl headers, a 1600 (1 1/4") new from korman and a used 320i. i have only seen a couple come up for an e9 in the last 2 years.

Tom P

Reaction score
Ceramic Coating and Stahl vs. Ireland Headers

FWIW, sending my headers out to Jet Hot and back didn't compute so I found a shop specializing in high temp ceramic coating locally. I chose their Titanium finish and I love the way they turned out. Black and Chrome were two other options however, for a spirited driver they didn't recommend the chrome since it can discolor especially when carbs are running too lean or too rich. They say the chrome is best for show cars. The cost was $200 for the set to be coated.

As for Stahl vs. Ireland, I bought both sets to compare. While I do appreciate Ireland and their products I have to say it was an easy choice for me to select Stahl even at the higher price point. The Stahl workmanship and materials used were superior - the Stahl welds were of artisan quality. Ireland accepted theirs back without question and I will continue to support Ireland for other parts in the future.

Anyone interested in the this group buy should run towards this purchase at this price.

Here are a few close up shots of the Stahl welds...

Attachments

• 2013-10-04 21.34.37.jpg
    2013-10-04 21.34.37.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 185
  • 2013-10-04 21.29.20.jpg
    2013-10-04 21.29.20.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 2013-10-04 21.39.13.jpg
    2013-10-04 21.39.13.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 2013-10-04 21.38.44.jpg
    2013-10-04 21.38.44.jpg