Excessive Engine Movement

Rek

Reaction score
An update on the state of my mounts a rubber bits and pieces (on my car).

After a reasonable run, I had the car on a lift and noticed that:-

• Engine mount was softer through heat.
  • Gearbox mount was the same - and in the past had partially melted
  • prop shaft bearing was fine but the rubber surrounding it was.......very soft through heat.

It appears that the SS exhaust I have gives off an inordinate amount of heat. It explains a lot. The exhaust was built and fitted. The excessive movement started. This then damaged the rigid exhaust, where the solution was a flexible section. The slow cooking of my rubber continued.

The only solution I can see it to fabricate some heat shields for each of the parts to reduce the effects.

Has anybody made heat shields for parts of the car before? Any tips gratefully received.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
D99DFB81-86F1-44A8-A71B-F4B13ACC0C51.jpeg
This is the e60 material I am using.— 100.00

Rek

Reaction score
Both of these are excellent. The bore of my exhaust is higher than standard, so the E60 solution works, but for the car, not the rubber bits on the outside. I think I have found some products I can use for the smaller localised heat shields in conjunction with exhaust wrap.

If past efforts are anything to go by, I should get it right second time around

jc971

Reaction score
hello
I have the same problem with vibration on my coupe
I have a 3.5 with the 4 zf gearbox
I have a vibration that seems to come under the handbrake during hard acceleration
when I ride at a steady pace, even fast I have no vibration
the problem seems to get worse when hot
I replaced everything and rechecked several times
guibo, shaft bearing, gearbox and engine mounts, shaft/gearbox alignment
I suspect my engine mounts are poor quality and too flex
I saw that some have mounted vibration technics m3 e30 silent blocks
I would like feedback on this change

Rek

Reaction score
The centre bearing rubber section is quite flimsy so my plan was to beef that section up a bit by inserting a solid rubber tube in it. I have no idea how i will secure it in place though. perhaps some rubber cement as used on bicycle inner tubes.

jc971

Reaction score
I thought about the central bearing too, so I replaced it, even if it was already new, I took the opportunity to check the alignment, but the problem persists
it even happens that when I'm in a bend, without accelerating, the vibration occurs, even in neutral

jc971

Reaction score
View attachment 51158 View attachment 51159 So new bits arrived..
Just to be clear, I assume that we are looking at the rear of the center mount and to preload it you push it towards the engine by a mill or two then final tighten?

The engine mounts look more than up to the job and I will report back when fitted
I would like feedback on the assembly of these m3 e30 engine mounts on the coupe