Excessive Engine Movement

Rek

Reaction score
I have performed some research, if you can call looking at the individual mounts whilst revving the engine research.

The left side mount seems to take little load. The right side mount squashes when the engine is revved and the engine twists clockwise on the axis of the right mount very slightly. The rubber softens when the car warms up, as its just below the exhaust, exacerbating the squashing/twisting and making the engine movement more pronounced. I have found that the problem I have is more pronounced with a warm car and is only really relevant in first gear when pulling away. This is when the torque through the mounts is probably at its highest.

There is a lot of rubber in the mount which means more compression is possible.

So, the solution might be to investigate E34 mounts. The original mounts were for a car with 170 bhp. Putting 256 bhp 0r even 211 bhp for a 535i through the car might well test the original mounts.

Another solution might be to beef up the mount on the right by using a stiffer aftermarket part. I feel I can leave the left hand side as is unless the dimensions are different. I just need to get the dimensions of the E34 part now to check its the same, or a feasible engine height.

I know it might sound stupid, but a heatshield preventing a build up might be feasible, if a little of an overkill.

I cannot be the only one with this problem, so I will post the results.

As always, everyone is so helpful.

Don - the centrebearing is Febi. Once in the air I will investigate but it has less than 2,000 miles on it.

Stevehose - thanks for the advice. My driveshaft was flush with the output shaft face, such that I don't think the tightening of the bolts would have produced an imbalance. Also, once going, the draintrain seems fine, or at least fine enough to leave tuning it further for another day.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do you have a light weight flywheel?

You know I have a built a dozen 200 hp+ engines a year here and at Coupekings for years and years now. Fired up 8 in 2 weeks once.
No problem like yours.

" Putting 256 bhp 0r even 211 bhp for a 535i through the car might well test the original mounts. "

Not likely- the e9 coupe uses the very same mount as the M1....

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For the record it can appear to be flush when mated but rotation before tightening can expose otherwise. Been there.

Stevehose - thanks for the advice. My driveshaft was flush with the output shaft face, such that I don't think the tightening of the bolts would have produced an imbalance. Also, once going, the draintrain seems fine, or at least fine enough to leave tuning it further for another day.

Rek

Reaction score
For the record it can appear to be flush when mated but rotation before tightening can expose otherwise. Been there.

Thanks for the warning. At some point the driveshaft will be replaced with the correct one, but the noise is not from there and its not constant. Mine sounds like the guibo is stuttering as its out of line - or something.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you or we're re talking about two different things, but this is what testing the tranny/DS flange mating does, it makes sure there's a straight line between the tranny flange and the center support bearing and ensuring that the guibo is aligned.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you sure it’s the driveshaft vibrating and not the exhaust?

My exhaust system was replaced 3 years ago but just recently started making a banging noise only when accelerating hard in first gear. The front center section bounces and hits the frame.

inovermyhead

Reaction score

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
98A0BDA7-957A-4216-98A6-7316B17F83AE.jpeg One way to replace mounts....

inovermyhead

Reaction score
So, showing my ignorance here, what’s the pic of?

To answer a couple of further questions.

The flywheel has been ‘ lightly ‘ lightened, didn’t go mad because I didn’t want it to stall to easily.
No movement with the engine running or revving when the car is stationary, only under load, such as a hill start or 75% or more full throttle on the flat.
The knock comes in at approx 4000 rpm and is violent enough to be felt as well as heard.
The sound appears to come from around or behind the hand break.

I’ve ordered the vibratecnics mounts so one fitted I’ll report back.

John

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Handbrake=centerbearing

The pic shows an engine support - Gazz has one leftover in Goldcoast from my trip last summer.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Knocking under load especially in first gear is classic center bearing failure. Revving without load won’t produce this effect.

inovermyhead

Reaction score
So as I have already ordered the new engine mounts and they are on there way down under, I may as well order a new Center bearing too. Which brand is the best, I think the one in the car is a Febi... same again?

Honolulu

Reaction score
A rythmic knocking under load is also a certain sign that the rubber bushing at the back of the trans has separated. BTDT.

Guys, no matter whether your mounts are soft, hard, or rigid: when the engine twists one way as it's trying to twist the driveshaft the other way, the load gets taken up at the same places. Action/reaction. Hard on the gas, soft on the gas, on overrun-the load is taken up in the same places. Some seem not to recognize that simple fact.

I'd add to the OP to make sure the exhaust isn't thumping anything when you get on the gas.