Coupe Value

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
John,

fantastic condition sport evo e30 m3 (evo 3) and cecotto variants (evo 2) are selling in similar ranges as csl. it is not easy to import a sport evo into the US. there are only a couple and they took acts of god to get in ... in fact i think only 1 (that i know of) can be driven normally on the street (licensing issues).

normal e30 m3 - low mileage / excellent condition can sell between 30k + 45k. most normal nice condition are selling between 18k + 25k - depending on work done on them.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree, prices have gone up. Decent examples start around $20k. That wasn't the case a few years ago. I bought a nice, pretty much rust-free, auto, '74 coupe about 4 years ago for $11k. On eBay now there is a guy selling a '74 5spd that is in similar condition to the car I bought for $24k. So lets say there is $3000 premium for a 5spd over auto, that's still over $10k more than I paid not too long ago (I am assuming he gets his BIN price).

Two years ago I bought another fairly rust free auto coupe for $17.5K (more proof prices went up) and dropped a 5spd in it and a few other modest upgrades. I sold it for just under what I had put in it, but probably could have come out even or on top if I had taken my time searching for a buyer. I sold it quickly due to a deployment.

When the coupe I have now is done I wouldn't part with it for less than $40k. Sales with those in the coupe community who are well known often go north of $50k.

I think what holds prices back is the fact that our cars are drivable classics. If it had that element of extreme rarity and/or unaccessible beauty that compels one to squirrel it away in a garage never to be driven, only to be stared at and polished, then the value would be greater. But then owning one wouldn't be as much fun.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like it sold for $8K, at least until the buyer looks at it and it returns to eBay shortly thereafter...

A jpig with lipstick online, - and then you meet her in the flesh and she's got a rusty butt.

I think your hunch was right on the money as he listed the car on Craigslist Los Angeles yesterday.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sport Evo

Evo II's are still reasonable. Yes, Sport Evo's are tough to find for less than $50k.
Import: 25 year rule should apply (waiver of Federal requirements), so maybe you have to wait a couple years for the Sport Evo's. Good excuse to travel to the UK for Goodwood, Silverstone, and imagine the drive over to Germany for Techno Classica!

loloe13

Reaction score
Evo II e30

this one?

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page/190158/1988-bmw-m3/

just '805 miles on clock.."
anyone knows if the tri-stripped engine head is standard?

Evo II's are still reasonable. Yes, Sport Evo's are tough to find for less than $50k.
Import: 25 year rule should apply (waiver of Federal requirements), so maybe you have to wait a couple years for the Sport Evo's. Good excuse to travel to the UK for Goodwood, Silverstone, and imagine the drive over to Germany for Techno Classica!

TravL350

Site Donor
Reaction score
"barn find"

I may be late to the party on this one, and sorry if this has already been posted. Similar to Chris' original post, another eBay gem, this one nearing $6K, and it doesn't run. Every square inch of the interior appears to be utterly ruined...the list goes on and on. Not even an under-body shot. Someone is about to get a handful!

I used to live near Pompano Beach and you'd be hard pressed to find anything resembling a "barn" within a hundred of miles of South Florida ;-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261158918315#ht_500wt_1183

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
27 bids! Looks like a hyena chewed the rear seats

I may be late to the party on this one, and sorry if this has already been posted. Similar to Chris' original post, another eBay gem, this one nearing $6K, and it doesn't run. Every square inch of the interior appears to be utterly ruined...the list goes on and on. Not even an under-body shot. Someone is about to get a handful!

I used to live near Pompano Beach and you'd be hard pressed to find anything resembling a "barn" within a hundred of miles of South Florida ;-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261158918315#ht_500wt_1183

TravL350

Site Donor
Reaction score
Indeed! When I go to sell my coupe (never), remind me to sprinkle it with leaves and dust and say I found it in a barn, down by the river, etc.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Those kids with the basketballs are going to miss having this Coupe around. I loved playing in wrecks when I was a kid.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
IMO the Florida car looks pretty nice. I am impressed by the front fenders on the inside and the sides and character lines look very straight.

It may need "everything" done but it also could be a solid start for a full restoration...the earlier "flip" car was much worse than this one.