2231367 Underway

Discussion in 'E9 Projects and Restorations' started by Wes, Jan 13, 2018.

1. mr bump

mr bump Member

I've got a 223 chassis number car Wes, 2230897, only a few numbers apart but thousands of miles!!LOL.

2. Wes

Wes Active Member Site Donor $

More work happening down at the workshop.

IMG_3934.jpg

This is the last of the rust repairs for the body. Still cant believe the chassis was in such good condition having seen countless horror stories on here.

This week the chassis was put into primer.

IMG_3944.jpg

The engine bay is also getting some love with a re-spray as well but we won't start on that until the rest of the bodywork is done.

IMG_3942.jpg

My wonderful spray painter, rust repairer, fabricator and counsellor reckons we will be in a position to start applying top coat next week. Cant wait to have a Ceylon E9 in my life :)

3. Wes

Bit more activity today. Picked up the boot and bonnet from the abrasives shop. They've done an excellent job of cleaning all the gunk off from the inside of the panels.
    Still need to do a metal repair around the top of the bonnet, see below, where there was a bit of rot. Rest of the bonnet is really good and it's not like I can just go down the road and buy one.

IMG_3953.jpg

We also did some investigation on a couple of rust holes around the left hand shock tower. I'd feared this was evidence of a larger problem hiding inside the fenders.

IMG_3949.jpg

IMG_3951.jpg

Was very pleasantly surprised to find that the bodywork below the rust hole, inside the fender, is in excellent condition with no signs of rust at all. The only explanation I can come up with for this is that there is a dip in the chassis at this point where water could have collected and been trapped in the insulation causing the corrosion issue. We went down to bare metal on the right hand shock tower, which had no sign of rust at all.

The chassis and most of the panels are now all in primer and we plan to start shooting colour in the next few days.

4. Wes

It's been a busy week on the tools for the body works with some major progress to show for it.
    Have also ordered new carpets, black from KHM and I've also had the alloy windscreen trims re-anodised (forgot to take a picture of that).

The final rust repair for the job is nearly complete.

IMG_3977.jpg

The top of the shock towers has also been repaired. We fabricated a new panel, which is now in place.
    Pretty happy with the result.

IMG_3979.jpg

Perhaps the most exciting thing is that we have some GOLD going on some of the car.
    Our Project Manager was most impressed.

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3976.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

The colour is amazing, certainly never going to lose it in a carpark. If I'm totally honest I'll probably never park it in one :)

By the end of next week we should have the bonnet and boot lids prepped for topcoat.
    We will then turn our attention to the engine bay.
    Hope to be on the road by Xmas, this year :)

Gransin likes this.
  5. Aussiecsi

Aussiecsi Active Member

The colour looks amazing Wes....my friend here in Perth recently bought a csi that is same color (but very faded) ....this will inspire him ! . Cheers, Simon

6. Wes

I know right.
    This is the factory colour.
    I apologise for the crappy phone pics but the paint is amazing.
    Has an almost gold leaf look to it, with lots of metallic flecking.
    It also changes colour depending on how the light hits it.
    Used to have a hot wheels as a kid that did a similar thing when it got warm.

7. Boobouna

Boobouna Member

I am planning to repaint mine at some stage in the not so near future so I might seek your advice on paint when I’m ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Wes

Done.

What's your body work like?

9. Boobouna

Boobouna Member

Looks pretty solid and I’ve had several say the same but I’m sure once it gets stripped for paint there may be some gremlins around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Wes

I reckon there's a good chance :)
    Wine was pretty good but still had some around jack points and sills.

11. Wes

Been another big week at the workshop.
    Rust repair to the bonnet was finished a few days back.
    The underside of the bonnet, boot, sunroof and air dam have been painted.
    How good is Ceylon?

IMG_3993.jpg

Air Dam all done and ready for fitment.

IMG_3992.jpg

This picture is pretty interesting. It shows the inside of the engine bay just below the shock towers on the right hand side.
    Look at the paint runs and how they are horizontal (parallel to the ground).
    These runs are in the factory primer and original ceylon. The car must have been suspended in the vertical for spraying at the factory.

IMG_4001.jpg

The floors are all cleaned back and ready for some tar and two pack primer. Pretty happy with their condition and lack of rust. Doesn't happen everyday on an E9 :)

IMG_4012.jpg

Also found this original sticker on top of the heater behind the firewall. No idea what it says or means..

IMG_4003.jpg

We are now full steam ahead on cleaning the engine bay and another rub down of the body ahead of spraying in the next week or so.

Keshav likes this.
  12. Keshav

Keshav Well-Known Member Site Donor

Some old pics but simply gorgeous in gold! Specially with the two tone, grey/ black interior

33850F7B-E1F1-48B1-BCB6-AD090821EC3E.jpeg 7D9FA618-AB03-4EC1-A3F2-5D2B9ECE9E42.jpeg 502DF17A-AF12-49A0-B54D-C801F0AB49B0.jpeg

sfdon likes this.
  13. Wes

Love it :)
    It's really hard to show in the pics but the finish actually changes colour as the sun moves across it.
    Going to need a pair of welding glasses just to drive the thing it will be so bright.

sfdon likes this.