Will have to start somewhere

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You guys will think I'm sick(er) but the throttle crank has some kind of "coating" on it and if I sanded all the rust off it it would just rust faster so I polished it up as best I could and clear-coated it. This way I hope to achieve the "clean but old" look. I could not do that to any parts that would get extremely hot because I don't think they make 400 degree clear coat- but it would be nice. Thanks for the comments, hope to really get things done this week, just waiting on some parts.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
VHT makes a high temp clear coat

You guys will think I'm sick(er) but the throttle crank has some kind of "coating" on it and if I sanded all the rust off it it would just rust faster so I polished it up as best I could and clear-coated it. This way I hope to achieve the "clean but old" look. I could not do that to any parts that would get extremely hot because I don't think they make 400 degree clear coat- but it would be nice. Thanks for the comments, hope to really get things done this week, just waiting on some parts.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Might be nice to spray the tranny with that just to make it look all perdy :) I'll try it and report back. I tried to match the trunk badge gasket up to an old one I had but yes, it seemed a little small. I included a picture. I left it off the blue coupe probably for that reason.

Attachments

• trunk gasket.jpg
    trunk gasket.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 150

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pilot bearing question

So I got my new pilot bearing and when I took the old one out- sort of, this is what I see. If you look at the bottom of the picture you will see the order the pieces came out and the new bearing beside those pieces, then in the center of the crank there is a ball bearing.

Please help me with the process from here -

And thanks!!

Attachments

• pilot bearing.jpg
    pilot bearing.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 180

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gotta get that old one out of the crank, the new one you have is sealed so you don't need the dust covers that were used with the old ones.

So I got my new pilot bearing and when I took the old one out- sort of, this is what I see. If you look at the bottom of the picture you will see the order the pieces came out and the new bearing beside those pieces, then in the center of the crank there is a ball bearing.

Please help me with the process from here -

And thanks!!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks, I may have one in my chest of pullers :). I just wanted to be sure that I was not pulling out a main bearing :)

Help much appreciated- Transmission goes on tomorrow!

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Pack the bearing and cavity completely full of grease and slide a big bolt in there that just clears the I.D. of the bearing and give it a whack. Should pop right out if all the grease does not spurt past the bearing without the seals on it. Might want to cover with a rag.

m_thompson

Reaction score
You guys will think I'm sick(er) but the throttle crank has some kind of "coating" on it and if I sanded all the rust off it it would just rust faster so I polished it up as best I could and clear-coated it.

I had all of the steel parts from my engine cadmium plated and then yellow chromated so they look pretty. The original parts might have been zinc plated instead of cadmium.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Moving along

Thought I would post some pics of the "big six". If anyone sees anything on backwards please yell! (at me). Just opted to have a set of 205/70/14 BF Goodrich T/A radials mounted to freshly painted rims; they'll be mounted with the lettering on the inside and I'll put an extra coat of black over the letters.

Attachments

• big six1.jpg
    big six1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 236
  • big six2.jpg
    big six2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 215
  • big six3.jpg
    big six3.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 217
  • big six.jpg
    big six.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 227

eludvigs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Speaking of fan ... if you want my brickish red clutch fan I'm probably going to switch to a black one.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fan

EV, is your fan "more better" than the one I have? (pics below).

Also just posting some information that may be helpful. Tire size 205/70/14

Carb just washed with gasoline to remove gunk- I will see how they operate before rebuilding-(having them rebuilt) as i am not attempting that one myself.

Engine weight: as pictured

Attachments

• big six.jpg
    big six.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 236
  • carb cleaning.jpg
    carb cleaning.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 227
  • engine weight.jpg
    engine weight.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 218
  • new tires.jpg
    new tires.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 223
  • big six3.jpg
    big six3.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 215

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
back to "work"

After doing my regular job for a few weeks it's time to revisit the e9 again. Before I can put the engine back up I have to prep the front wheel well area. This area is allot more difficult to clean than the rear and I'm already not liking it much. The PO had some off-brand undercoating sprayed up there which did a great job of catching the sand off the road (and keeping it there for years). I don't plan on removing all the undercoating, just the damaged bits and the layer of dirt impregnated goop. From there I'll re-undercoat the necessary spots and repaint as in the rear (picture). My goal is to get the front wheel wells as fancy looking as the bits behind the grill, just not the same color :)

Attachments

• inner fender1.jpg
    inner fender1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 203
  • inner fender2.jpg
    inner fender2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 200
  • inner fender3.jpg
    inner fender3.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 204
  • inner fender4.jpg
    inner fender4.jpg