Will have to start somewhere

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And a question

A little more each day. I finally got around to assembling the front sub frame and changing/replacing all the bushings. Not really a bad job once it's on a table. Sometime before this car was put away the subframe was replaced as it is in perfect condition and one of the inner washers behind the thrust bushing was bent; this car, like most I guess is a real archaeological adventure. The next step is the engine/trans, then the interior. Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Question: has anyone rebuilt their power steering pump? Is it easy or should I look for a new one?

Also, is there a consensus on whether or not to recondition the head? I would prefer to just re-seal everything as the engine pretty reliably only has 79K on her. Your thoughts are hopefully anticipated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• subframe clean.jpg
    subframe clean.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 197
  • stripping her down.jpg
    stripping her down.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 195
  • she's a mess.jpg
    she's a mess.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 204
  • parts is parts.jpg
    parts is parts.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 197

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
ZF gearbox? With engine and tranny out I'd look at all the PITA seals and do the ones difficult to get to: front and rear crank, timing chain covers, tranny seals, pilot bearing, et al.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve, I'm not too familiar with gearboxes, did they make different 4 speeds for these and is there anything I should know about this one- I think it is a ZF. I really want to leave it all original but absolutely will change every seal I can get to while the engine is out. Thanks.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think 2800's originally came with ZF's, not sure when they switched to Getrag.

Steve, I'm not too familiar with gearboxes, did they make different 4 speeds for these and is there anything I should know about this one- I think it is a ZF. I really want to leave it all original but absolutely will change every seal I can get to while the engine is out. Thanks.

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I rebuilt the pwr steering pump on the Bav and I pretty sure Luis did the same. It is a bit tricky but not bad if you are patient. There are a bunch of o-rings inside and a bearing and seal. Worth the effort if yours is leaking.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
what a mess

I wrote to the men at La Jolla to see if they have a kit (or the necessary parts)- thought I would include a shot of what the engine looks like today :-(

Attachments

• mess1.jpg
    mess1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 201

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I just looked at real oem and picked out all the seals and parts still available and then ordered them from the dealer. But if La Jolla has a kit, might be the way to go.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oil pan suggestions pls

Well, I ordered the seals for the P/S pump today as a rebuilt was a bit expensive, I'll at least try first. Got the engine up on the stand today and removed the oil pan and cleaned it up. The surface is very rough with casting marks and lots of nasty spots for oil and dirt to collect. My pan on the 74 was much smoother?

What is a good way to treat this piece so it looks like it should but can be easily cleaned? Any ideas are welcome.

Also, what is the correct color for the block and what is the best paint for the stock look?

I decided against pulling the head unless the compression is bad which I hope to test before putting it back in the car but doing the head after the engine is installed is not much harder than doing it when it's out, though if anyone disagrees please yell!

And thanks-

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Front cover head gasket question

I removed the top front cover, oil pan, V/C and it looks like the gasket that goes between the upper and lower front cover is part of the head gasket? Is this the case?

Also, should the timing chain tensioner be replaced at this stage? I'm really just attempting to re-seal everything not rebuild the engine... please.

If all goes well I think I'm only about 3 weeks away, much sooner than I thought. May need another project may need a lobotomy .......

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, head gasket extends out over timing cover. Make sure you use the gasket sealer in the corners like the manual says.

If there is no noise from there I would leave the tensioner as is unless it looks very worn.

I removed the top front cover, oil pan, V/C and it looks like the gasket that goes between the upper and lower front cover is part of the head gasket? Is this the case?

Also, should the timing chain tensioner be replaced at this stage? I'm really just attempting to re-seal everything not rebuild the engine... please.

If all goes well I think I'm only about 3 weeks away, much sooner than I thought. May need another project may need a lobotomy .......

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, is there a preferred gasket sealer that should be used for the front covers(s) and the oil pan? Also do you suggest putting any sealer on the edges of the new freeze plugs? It's just been a long time since I have done allot of this stuff.

I appreciate the help!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used Hylomar for the edges of the covers to the gasket. Find the Hylomar made in UK vs usa. There is a difference in the way it applies. Ebay.

The oil pan and plug questions are sfdon material!

Thanks Steve, is there a preferred gasket sealer that should be used for the front covers(s) and the oil pan? Also do you suggest putting any sealer on the edges of the new freeze plugs? It's just been a long time since I have done allot of this stuff.

I appreciate the help!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Apologies plus

First of all, for those of you to whom I have promised to send parts please forgive my procrastination. I have been using the excuse that I'm working but actually have been trying to get the Polaris done to a point where I can move it and then get to some of these parts. I thought I would post some pictures of the progress-or lack thereof. I Asked Ben and Carl to send me a kit with al the parts I need to "seal" the engine... there are lots of seals! I got the front covers on and the front and rear seals on the crank, the oil pan, freeze plugs- well you get the idea-

Attachments

• front cover before.jpg
    front cover before.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 214
  • front cover after.jpg
    front cover after.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 214
  • clean painted block.jpg
    clean painted block.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 221
  • new rear crank seal.jpg
    new rear crank seal.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 216
  • hellofamess.jpg
    hellofamess.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 218

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, things are starting to get back to normyl so Dave, I have your baked elephant skin going out this week, de Q, I have the badge gaskets going out and I also have a muffler going out as well. If I forgot anyone please yell. Last parts (right) coming in from Ben & Carl this week so I may get the engine back in, I'm at the library with my punk kids doing their homework so I'm on a public computer to which I can't upload the latest shots but hope to post a few tomorrow.

Anyone ever bend front brake lines? the fittings on mine got trashed trying to remove them from the calipers. I would post some pictures but then no one would ever let me near their car.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Progress and

Chris, I'll send you a picture of what I have and try to match them up with original badges. As for the progress, I hope to have the engine in soon like tomorrow- so I can get to the boxes and assorted parts to sent out.

Attachments

• clean engine.jpg
    clean engine.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 199
  • clean engine1.jpg
    clean engine1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 204