What did you do to your E9 today?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My previous one was a Rustoleum job. Worked ok but I kept having to touch it up. Am hoping this is more durable. I also put a dab of epoxy on the top and bottom of each slat to keep them from rattling around.

That grill is sweet, sure beats my electrical tape job. I'll get the info from you at The Vintage in Asheville.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like I'll encounter some rain during the Vintage trip, so in go the temporary fender seals.

PUcbEQbdH7iRbRbw9gA3AL576sCB2-bxaZ3f2K0i1TvhEuOKFghQ8fj42ADk4Wxw6qLgrITQb00Ci54mAVclt6D8aY0txCJYzrOs4Nt6WNPch9AEqf-BStE87mpvR4pc_5oHazKAVUXrSyI63RT_cZXGOuXbMXMGnGF7SmIl09VJklF2zr1noCcjZfT9bJdd32sPu_4KEb_QU5Q3WtyM-A9etnrDX-3kLWIDVPcZ8gkpgXqMc4D1E11xzgh2zeSqhvbi9G9VV43tqN37x5L-kfXOI2MubfxbQ-fpA6knyDohlkYJbHumLzp-hwJn2OwVEQYAlLvblcGl-mfKjh_N-9i101meCmzOOO9OgSpiJn3wN96Z_m3WBV7OZGyUCzcGAHc7XH2JCfstuEuQeosHyF9HpWEUeCLKaYBgo54KKKkh5eDa-RtsOHDNm9INasHroTDbshqdM6BtkNKOJHSFjOZcQ8eDikjX4j_i-ldTF0CM7FLx6FpTfIacZyXTWNll_YvYrFp2dLkVPloQd6aLcVbe8T0IFrsW6vl3VsX8Xg3LpzsTh9RpmArkO8ubganfKO7npDyH5rrHrcIwl1JKq8A4-axXM6W5-sGd52pjIzkqaCOQ=w488-h650-no

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes, it is pipe insulation split in 2 lengthwise then tapered and trimmed to fit in the seam gap as it goes from large in front to small towards the rear. costs a couple bucks and comes out when the weather is clear on the home stretch. I use it for long road trips to keep water and debris out.

Steve, is that he hollow black foam stuff you can pick up at Ace or Home Depot? Great idea!

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
yes, it is pipe insulation split in 2 lengthwise then tapered and trimmed to fit in the seam gap as it goes from large in front to small towards the rear. costs a couple bucks and comes out when the weather is clear on the home stretch. I use it for long road trips to keep water and debris out.
Great idea! i think i have some of that left over from when i painted my coupe. used it as an inset mask at the door jambs. worked great. Hadn't thought to use it for rain proofing though. Any other rainy day tips?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I received a set of 15" alpina style wheels ... delivered by e9 royalty in his coupe (nicely wrapped in bags) ... thanks Steve. Steve and his coupe are here at the house on his way to the vintage tomorrow to join up with a lot of others. hope you guys have a great weekend, wish i was going to be there.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
finished my big stop this year, tasks included,

change fluids: oil, coolant, brake fluid to ate typ 200, gear box plus ceramic aditive, differential oil plus cerqmic aditive
new water pump
new belts
new performance brake pads

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
finished my big stop this year, tasks included,

change fluids: oil, coolant, brake fluid to ate typ 200, gear box plus ceramic aditive, differential oil plus cerqmic aditive
new water pump
new belts
new performance brake pads

a couple of results/ consequences:

ceramic aditive worked lovely over stock gearbox and differential oil, add 100 ml into each, smooth, less noise, good, reccomend

new water pump has resulted in a very positive outcome, as temp has dropped 5 deg average

suspicion on bad water pump, temp was always closer to 90deg than to 85deg
plus a little spill of coolant a couple of times in 2 years from the pump holes, you might know there are one or two holes in the front section of the pump, those holes are there to tell about problems in the pump, so i had these spills and i was worried

was not urgent so i took my time
these days hella, or walloth water pumps have a plastic rotor, i recommend hepu german brand

new belts too, found a very nice model from gates, rated up to 200 deg for the 1125x9,5 steering belt,

https://ww2.gates.com/spain/brochure.cfm?brochure=13684&location_id=20499

i am using a nice industrial type belts for the 13x990 main belt as my setup is pretty peculiar

i found i needed half size for it (automotive belts are set between certain size steps, industrial belts come in half of those)

bleeding was laborious, two times in the garage and another two after a spin, the tstat hole worked well

happy as a drunken squirrel ;-)

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Say some more about the ceramic additive, what does it help with?
The noise I have is bearings not gears in the Getrag, does it help that?

ceramic aditive worked lovely over stock gearbox and differential oil, add 100 ml into each, smooth, less noise, good, reccomend

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Say some more about the ceramic additive, what does it help with?
The noise I have is bearings not gears in the Getrag, does it help that?

Xenum VX Gear / VRX-Gear 200ml
reduces friction noise, that includes bearings and gears, but it wont fix bearings problems if they are present
it is amazing how 100ml of this white product disperses almost instantaneously in the gearbox oil EP80
i prepared a 1,2liter transparent contanier and poured half of the vrx bottle

it was recommended by a friend that flights his own plane and uses this additive in the propeller gears

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan that invites both a celebration and a round of banter!

Did you fix your knee with DQ's ceramic additive?

I am happy to report that the Great White started and drove well for the first drive of the year and my newly repaired knee managed the clutch pedal!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Drove 670 miles home from Asheville to New Orleans, the first 4 hours in torrential rain. Witnessed an idiot who blew past me downhill hydroplane into a guard rail. Several other cars on the side of the road, one had slid off and up the side of a bridge overpass. I now have water in front and back driver side footwells so I yanked the carpet and seat to begin the drying process. Will have to cut out the rubber matting that is glued to the floors. Car will be out of commission for a while but ran with the best of them today.

The Vintage event was great, but the best part was meeting more forum members. I hope you all made it home ok.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
so Steve, how did the pirelli cn-36 tires work in the rain ... i know there was a lot of it during the time period you were driving thru north georgia. glad you made it home safely

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Could not detect any lesser qualities than previous michelins, but i did not push it, just kept saying - if you get me home i'll do same. And thanks for your hospitality!

so Steve, how did the pirelli cn-36 tires work in the rain ... i know there was a lot of it during the time period you were driving thru north georgia. glad you made it home safely