E3's for sale in Southern California

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wait a minute, it’s not the original color, but it is a color I have seen on a E3 before. Look at the under hood shots, looks like a white car.

Larry Louton
Larry, that under hood paint is the Florida Green. It is a very light shade of green.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Love the Florida Green...especially with that color interior. :love:

Here's another nice one that was on BaT in December...

Last edited:

rblongboarder

Reaction score
Here's a '73 Bavaria for sale at BHCC (VIN #3106764):

Looks like one of the last manual transmission 1973 3.0S Bavarias according to:

Last edited:

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here's a '73 Bavaria for sale at BHCC:

They also have this one in “Macaw” green!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
love the pic with the crooked front license plate ... you would think that if you were going to put your own BHCC plate on the front that you would spend 10 minutes to straighten the bracket

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
The E3 does not hide its rust like the E9. What you see is what you get. I see lots of surface rust, no shots from below though. Pending the undercarriage, looks solid.

otter74

Reaction score
Given that I could have bought the Sahara car (which was really, really nice) that sold recently on BaT for barely more than that (sigh...), that seems overpriced by a good bit, despite the maintenance given in the post. Car appears to be in approximately Humboldt Park (I can see the 606 in the background, and a quick ride can get me the cross street) so it very local to me. If someone is interested, I could take a look.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This one is in CA, if it were here on the east coast I would go check it out...

Listed as a "Bavarian", but it appears to be a 3.0. It is sitting low in a field, so rust is likely to be an issue...

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@rblongboarder - My 2 cents to you looking for a '71 Bavaria, as much as I love them, buy one that is already restored, maybe one that needs minor personal tweaks, little things here and there. Restoring a coupe vs. a Bavaria, the cost in restoration is relatively the same assuming the wood on the coupe is in decent condition. The trend in coupes prices (in general) seem to be coming down quite a bit, even from a couple years ago. So now is a good time to get into one.

My advice is to buy the best coupe you can for the money and spend time on it, restoring the coupe. The resale value when you are done will be way more than a Bavaria. Just the fact that a coupe is two door vs. four door. Not to mention such a beautiful design on the coupe. But I understand the barrier to entry price wise. It is what made me go down the Bavaria route, that and a couple other things.

But in hindsight, I would have gone with a coupe. The rust issue however (again, in general) seems to be much better on a Bavaria. The coupes that have not been redone, 50 years of wear and tear and weather generally isn't kind to a coupe. However, looking at these Bavaria's the rust issue looms large as well.

Anyhow, again, just my 2 cents. Good luck on your search!

rblongboarder

Reaction score
I'm still looking at E3's.. here's a few more I found...

Here's a 1972 E3 in New York (VIN #3101827)

The CL ad for the 1972 E3 in New York:

And a modified 1974 E3 also in New York:

Did anyone ever get a reply from the seller of this 1973 E3 in Southern Florida?

Here's a 1974 Bavaria in Missoula:

Last edited:

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There is still a ad running on the black one in the Tampa ad. If your interested I can go up there and give you a unbiased review?

Larry Louton
(941) 416-4030