E3's for sale in Southern California

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It’s always fun to see what’s available across the pond.
Scroll down to the Turkis 2500 and the Inka 3.0 on page 2. :oops:

Last edited:

Christoph

Reaction score
It’s always fun to see what’s available across the pond.
Scroll down to the Turkis 2500 and the Inka 3.0 on page 2. :oops:

This is only a fraction of the E3 currently on offer. Some of them are grossly overpriced or worse. However, a few might be worth an inspection.

It's not Inka, it's Phönix, the autumn 1976 successor of Inka and correct on this car. The car itself is on a journey for two or three years now: one privateer and three or more dealers. A club friend looked at it twice, drove it once and was very much not impressed.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score

rblongboarder

Reaction score
I've been able to obtain VIN numbers for several E3's available in the Southern California area.

1. VIN 3134740 - 1973 Automatic from Wisconsin:

2. VIN 3132552 - 1972 Automatic from Idaho

3. VIN 3131178 - 1972 Automatic in SoCal

4. VIN 3100338 - 1972 Manual in San Diego area:

5. VIN 2460665 - 1971 2800 Automatic Import from Europe near Las Vegas:

The CL photos do not show the rust damage, which was discussed in another forum thread:

6. VIN 3131806 - 1972 Automatic E3 Project car in the Los Angeles area:

This car has more photos on Barn Find:

7. 1974 Automatic in Northern California:

8. VIN 2150658 - 1971 2500 Automatic on Ebay (sale pending):

9. 1972 Bavaria Manual on Ebay:

This one looks like it has some pretty serious rust on the passenger front panel - near the headlights.

10. A 1972 Bavaria Manual on Autotrader

This one looks pretty rough.

Last edited:

Christoph

Reaction score
I've been able to obtain VIN numbers for several E3's available in the Southern California area.
Thanks a lot. The BMW E3 Club's registry appreciates it. Two of these were new to me.

On Barnfinds the VIN for no. 6 is stated as +3131806+.

No. 5 sure is an import from Europe. That happened when the car was new as it is a USA version, indicated by the +246NNNN+ VIN. An ECE version 2800 A Series 1 would start with 244. When new, it was quite special with its full trim, leather upholstery and so on. The 2500/2800 USA were short-lived models before the equally short-lived 2800 Bavaria arrived.

Christoph

Reaction score
I found an E3 project in Southern California while on a hunt for a 1971 E3 Bavaria. If I'm
doing an E3 I want to do a '71 'cause that's the year I was born.
Not the most hopeless of causes. BMW built a good 4100 USA version E3 in 1971. The next two years would be even easier, but that doesn't count. Methinks only athletes and actresses have successfully changed their year of birth to date.

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello RBL, Found and bought my car at the Vintage BMW show in Asheville, NC last weekend. Good luck on your search and endeavor. I saw something about a Fjord blue car
that you were looking at. I have not photographed or registered my car with this site yet. Not sure of the color yet. Bakail blue with tobacco interior.

Larry Louton

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This won't last long. Someone is going to get a real original car at a more than fair price. Don't dwadle.

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To RBL, This car is in Minnesota not Michigan. It is what it is but it is closer. I agree with Csteve, jump on it.

Larry Louton

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yeah, I got pretty excited about it when I saw it here in Larry's post. I like the original color, and the fact that it is an early car. I also like that I could drive it home from its location (assuming the seller's comment about 'driving it anywhere' is accurate, which may be a stretch). But my wife is supposed to choose the next car, so I'd be usurping her spot in line. Plus, it has no AC, the lack of which is causing her not to enjoy driving in our 1600 that much. So I'd be in double deep doo-doo at that point. And to reference the more cogent discussion of the car in Dick's thread, I don't know that it is priced well. Seems like a really good $7,500 car as so much would need to be re-done. But Florida, come on!

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wait a minute, it’s not the original color, but it is a color I have seen on a E3 before. Look at the under hood shots, looks like a white car.

Larry Louton