E3's for sale in Southern California

rblongboarder

Reaction score
I found an E3 project in Southern California while on a hunt for a 1971 E3 Bavaria. If I'm
doing an E3 I want to do a '71 'cause that's the year I was born.

Here's the craigslist link for a 1972 Bavaria:

I've corresponded with the owner, and verified it's the same vehicle in this Barn Finds writeup
from back in Aug 2022... so this project car has been for sale for quite some time.

rblongboarder

Reaction score

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
"L" means stretch model. Probably came with the larger engine to pull the extra weight. Usually loaded, power windows and mirrors, etc'

L for Limousine?

Christoph

Reaction score
I think L for Lang (Long)? (@Christoph ?)

I've heard even "normal" E3s (and other sedans) referred to as limousines by Europeans.
Oh my. Asked to play the teacher again.
L means "Lang" = "long". On the E9, it means "Leicht" = "light".
S means "Super", like on the 502 V8, the Porsche 356 or the Alfa Romeo Giulia.

Only the 3.3 L & 3.3 Li came fully equipped. The 3.0 L had the normal 3 litre outfit, the 2.8 L looked like a 2500 or Bavaria. Both used the same engines as the ordinary E3.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as "Europeans" when it comes to language and denominations.
German - "Limousine", speak "Lee-moo-zee-ne".
Comes from the Limousin (Lee-moo-zang), a region in western France, said to be rather humid.
Polish - "Limuzyne", pronounced as in German.
Read that only once, so not all sure.
Dutch - "Sedan", speak "Ze-done".
Comes from a city in eastern France, Sedan (Ze-dong), where the weather can be very unpleasant.
French, Italian - "Berline" (Berr-linn) , "Berlina" (Ber-lee-nah).
Comes from the German city Berlin (Ber-lean), that used to have very cold winters with lots of wind and snow.
English - "saloon car".
It seems coachbuilders looked for the best-sounding names, everyone in their own language, they could find for their bodies with spacious interiors and a fixed roof that extended over the chauffeur's bench. Before the French word "Limousine" became common in Germany these bodies were called "Innenlenker", a more patriotic (or whatever) German term. "Innen" means "inside", "Lenker" might be "steering (wheel)" or "chauffeur/driver". Very accurate, though hardly melodic. End of lesson.

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Christoph

Reaction score
This is as beautiful as an E3 Series 3 USA can get. Riviera is such an unusual colour on a 1974 car. Available, but rarely ordered. The light grey vinyl gives it a roomy look inside. The smog equipment for USA and Sweden cars always looks as if it was done by the local plumber. Would someone tell me where the accelerator pedal has gone? But again, beautiful car.

rblongboarder

Reaction score
Here's a 1971 2500 series in Massachusetts on eBay motors:

And a 1972 Bavaria I'm looking at in the LA area:

Finally, this 1973 model just appeared on CL:

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I might add this one to the mix-
HNGJNhd.jpg

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello TedS, What can you tell me about this tasteful looking Bavaria? I have been looking for about three months, Then I found this forum waiting for something like this to show up and here it might be. If this Forum has a private mail system, please send details and price. If not,
[email protected]
Thank you.
Larry Louton

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello TedS, What can you tell me about this tasteful looking Bavaria? I have been looking for about three months, Then I found this forum waiting for something like this to show up and here it might be. If this Forum has a private mail system, please send details and price. If not,
[email protected]
Thank you.
Larry Louton
Hi Larry, I sent you a message on this site.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is as beautiful as an E3 Series 3 USA can get. Riviera is such an unusual colour on a 1974 car. Available, but rarely ordered. The light grey vinyl gives it a roomy look inside. The smog equipment for USA and Sweden cars always looks as if it was done by the local plumber. Would someone tell me where the accelerator pedal has gone? But again, beautiful car.
Just look at that tool tray!

all the scarce items are there!
1681306550015.png

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve seen the 74 in person. It has a large rust hole in the driver’s door and the two ball sockets for the gas pedal are gone due to rust. The car came from my neck of the woods and was at Doddi’s Auto in Monterey. They are infamous for leaving windows down in the rain.

Last edited by a moderator:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OC, I think you misspelled Doddi, auto correct should have changed it to Doddo. Sad about the '74.

rblongboarder

Reaction score
In my E3 quest, I continue to go look at cars when I have the time... Ted's '73 vanished
off LA craigslist before I could see it.

1) This E3 for sale at Beverly Hills Auto Club is from Wisconsin, and has some serious rust,
in addition to a front-end collision that needs to be fixed:

2) This green E3 is in better shape. Far less rust. Quite a dent in the rear passenger
door panel. There appears to be some epoxy holding on the chrome trim. Engine put out
bit of oil smoke, idled a bit rough and had a rich F/A mix. Seats, interior and headliner are in
great shape. Engine compartment looks good - no sign of rust on the shock towers. Car gas
been repainted green w/ metallic flake in it. Trunk, seal and rear looked good. Bizarre stereo
strapped under the steering column... all in all, not a bad vehicle from Idaho(!).

3) I haven't been able to view this '72 Bavaria down in the San Diego area, but the photos
look pretty good.

4) I can't verify if this car is still for sale. The driver's signal light is damaged. Consignment
group says it could be in SoCal..

5) This NorthernCal '74 Bavaria is still for sale:

Larry Louton

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello rbl, I too have been searching for a E3, Nearly went to the Netherlands to purchase a Fjord blue 2500 but it turned out to be a scam. I was going to contact TedS again about his white one which only needed paint but was too late. How about we split our search talents by you taking the West coast and I'll take the East coast. Check in every once in a while, Maybe we will get lucky and find two in one garage.

Larry Loutonhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/2758067546...k9SR7jLsoH4YQ&LH_ItemCondition=3000|1000|2500