Chamonix 3.0CS Restoration

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does cerakote need to be baked after shooting? Cathy is not a fan of car parts in the oven (and alas, it did not occur to me to ask her opinion before I started baking a set of e39 headlights so as to soften the adhesive so I could get them open).

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does cerakote need to be baked after shooting? Cathy is not a fan of car parts in the oven (and alas, it did not occur to me to ask her opinion before I started baking a set of e39 headlights so as to soften the adhesive so I could get them open).
Susan has told me in no uncertain terms that the ovens and warming oven are off limits to car parts:(. I was looking at the Cerakote website this morning after I found @HB Chris 's update and it looks like heat treatment is necessary for the higher temperature resistant products.

What temp resistance is needed for the aluminum bits @HB Chris?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Making some more progress, slow but steady.

632FFE2A-71F6-4127-A7D3-752D2A0EE307.jpeg

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Remove everything, sand with 120 grit and/or a scuff pad, etching primer on any bare spots, wipe down with Prepsal, mask and shoot. A local paint shop put the Chamonix in rattle cans which are fine for engine bay and trunk.
Chris. I assume the paint from the shop is base and you are following up with a clear coat?!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The rattle cans are single stage 2K paint which includes a clear. The whole car will be repainted, most likely base coat plus a clear like my Malaga coupe. Next step, install rear shocks, bleed brakes with new MC once I get hose into clutch master.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Removed both front regulators today, even when out the windows stayed up, it took quite a bit of effort to make them move. I scraped out the 40/50 YO grease, installed e28 motors, greased the tracks. Another job that is not fun: to remove, lower glass, undo three regulator bolts, slide arm out of glass support, wiggle arm backwards, remove three bolts holding motor to regulators, remove regulator, now you can remove the motor. Install is reverse but even harder getting bolts into regulator with motor flopping around and no way to hold it. At least they work now!

I also tested compression dry as it hasn’t run in four months and got around 150 on all, with some oil in cylinders it should do better. Once new starter arrives carbs will go back on and I will start it up, yippee!

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Made a bit more progress as the Bosch SR441X arrived with the correct small case. I added an extra ground cable to the valve cover, swapped the battery ground cables to no avail. Radiator back in along with all new hoses and new hose clamps, expansion tank in to.

5305792C-B807-4D19-A3EC-BF1D191522F6.jpeg
863FB8B0-75B2-489C-9A08-401DB5BF427C.jpeg

I also laid out the Fritz Bits exhaust that will go in Malaga and its fairly new stock exhaust will go into Chamonix.

881EE450-E2B3-4C22-8E96-13649E94382B.jpeg