Chamonix 3.0CS Restoration

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great question! I am thinking of going with new 14” Alpinas but the XWX tires are currently not available but I have time. And 16” Alpinas have become very hard to find and very expensive too!

With the direction you have taken the car, I
think 14” make a ton of sense. You know so much about factory specifications, it is great to see your new car so period correct.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
With the direction you have taken the car, I
think 14” make a ton of sense. You know so much about factory specifications, it is great to see your new car so period correct.
X2...but the wheels that came with it ARE the factory specification and are quite attractive and absolutely period correct. My vote is to stay with those (but maybe have a set of the 14" Alpinas with tires mounted so you can change its personality every now and then. :cool: )

D2CDD4E4-A622-412D-A920-876DE342D68A.jpg

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am a fan of the 14" Alpinas.
But I think more modern tires, the Pirelli's and Michelins of the past are not as good as new technology
If the truth be known, there aren't many parts on these 50 year old cars that new technology can't beat. But sometimes appearance wins out over latest and greatest. ;)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am a fan of the 14" Alpinas.
But I think more modern tires, the Pirelli's and Michelins of the past are not as good as new technology
there just aren't many good choices in 14" tires. and most of the choices have goofy sidewalls that don't look period correct. these are the tires i have seen

General Altimax (comes in 195/70 + 205/70)
Michelin Defender (performance plus tires for $103.86 / tire)

Vintage looking
- Michelin XWX (only 205/70)
- Pirelli CN-36 (only 205/70) - performance plus tires has them for $322.8 / tire
- Vredestein Sprint Classic (comes in 195/70 + 205/70)
- Goodrich Radial T/A (only 205/70 + 225/60)
- Dunlop Sport Classic (195/70 + 205/70) at performance plus tires for $285 + 343 / tire

Chris, i saw that Longstone Tyres in England have the XWX but the CN36 is out of stock. 4 of the xwx is 1169 gbp. 5 for 1400 gbp or 1 for 317 (prices without VAT) Coker has them for $416 each

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the Dunlop in 195/70 is the most reasonably priced. the Vredestein in most places is north of 300 bucks ... i am a long time fan of the cn-36 and its at 324, had them on my first 2002. had a similar Dunlop on the last 2002.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
X2...but the wheels that came with it ARE the factory specification and are quite attractive and absolutely period correct. My vote is to stay with those (but maybe have a set of the 14" Alpinas with tires mounted so you can change its personality every now and then. :cool: )
I too like the wheels on the car. My first coupe had 225/60s mounted on those skinny wheels. Silly I know, but that's what the PO had on them and they worked.

I recently put a set of General Altimax on my car. I'd noticed that @JMinPDX had them mounted on his E9, and he spoke well of them. So far I'm a fan. They have very low key sidewalls and the tread doesn't look out of place either. Of course they're only categorized as "touring tires," but given modern rubber compounds, casing materials and tread designs I'm sure they would run circles around the original rubber that came on the car (if they were available).

If I had the space for an extra set of wheels, I'd probably go Dick's route and put the Generals on the stock wheels and a set of Pirelli CN-36 on the BBS Mahles that the car came with. Of course if I lived in So-Cal I might just stick with the Pirellis. There are lots of winter days here when you can drive the car if you feel like it, but not on summer tires.

What is your suspension setup on the Malaga? I can't remember who spoke so fondly of its ride, maybe occoupe or rsporsche?

-Dan

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Malaga car has B&G progressive lowering springs in front and Ground Control springs and adjustable perches in the rear, tires are Conti Extreme Contact DW. If I go 14” I will explore Michelin and Pirelli only I think. I don’t like the Vredstein look and Dunlop were never known as a long wearing tire. Michelin just introduced a 175-14 tire which is a bit skinny and my friend Loid received a set for free for showing his e9 in the Michelin tent at Legends this week.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
there just aren't many good choices in 14" tires. and most of the choices have goofy sidewalls that don't look period correct. these are the tires i have seen

General Altimax (comes in 195/70 + 205/70)
Michelin Defender (performance plus tires for $103.86 / tire)

Vintage looking
- Michelin XWX (only 205/70)
- Pirelli CN-36 (only 205/70) - performance plus tires has them for $322.8 / tire
- Vredestein Sprint Classic (comes in 195/70 + 205/70)
- Goodrich Radial T/A (only 205/70 + 225/60)
- Dunlop Sport Classic (195/70 + 205/70) at performance plus tires for $285 + 343 / tire

Chris, i saw that Longstone Tyres in England have the XWX but the CN36 is out of stock. 4 of the xwx is 1169 gbp. 5 for 1400 gbp or 1 for 317 (prices without VAT) Coker has them for $416 each
I have the Goodrich 225/60/14

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, i saw them on Performance Tires Plus website today ... if you like those tires, it would be worth asking them.

if you wanted to go the route of 175-14 - longstone has the michelin xas for 168 gbp

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I recently put a set of General Altimax on my car. I'd noticed that @JMinPDX had them mounted on his E9, and he spoke well of them. So far I'm a fan. They have very low key sidewalls and the tread doesn't look out of place either.
I put those General Altimax on my e30 and really like them too. Nothing outstanding but really good for the price. Great reviews on TireRack

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I got mine from Longstone, apparently also oos. They handle just as good as the Michelins they replaced.

grnder95

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve been busy cleaning and painting. Wheel wells were cleaned with wooden handle wire brushes and a scraper then prepped for paint. After using Chamonix base coat in a rattle can which took two coats didn’t achieve my desired results, I listened to Paul Cain and bought white DTM primer with a catalyst and reducer which I applied with a 4” foam roller and a cheap brush. Black undercoat is now invisible, over this I shot single stage rattle can Chamonix and the results are outstanding. Front struts are done and painted with the factory yellow brush strokes, strut bearings cleaned and repacked with grease, backing plates powder coated, calipers yellow zinced and rebuilt, new control arms, tie rods, idler arm bushing and track rod ready to install along with new brake hoses and tension strut bushing, subframe painted, rear springs painted as well. I just have to decide which shocks to use in the rear, the current red Konis, a used pair of Boge from Paul or find some gently used Bilsteins to match the front. I still need to paint front frame rails and finish the subframe and then install everything and get it back on the ground. I cleaned the spare tire well of the nasty black undercoating by using charcoal lighter fluid and a brush, I shot some paint but it still needs more work as you can see.

View attachment 135937View attachment 135938View attachment 135939View attachment 135940