Chamonix 3.0CS Restoration

bmwski

Reaction score
Well, looks like I will be rescuing a 73 3.0CS four speed that has lived it’s whole life in California and was last registered in 1989. I won’t have it in my garage for a week or two and I wasn’t looking for a project but my local enablers convinced me it could be a fun if not tedious project. I will post more photos when I bring it home.

View attachment 130912
Check out that turn signal lens!

View attachment 130913
Coupe fever is alive and well. No sunroof, good call. Looks fairly unmolested. Congrats!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can’t keep up with Paul’s pace and attention to minute details but when this coupe is done it will be very nice as well. Rebuilt alternator, brake booster and power steering pump with powder coated oil can with new stickers.
EB0D2CED-53CC-4A11-96CA-DCECE35968FA.jpeg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, the fender and core support look great! Please share the process you used to clean and prep and then paint.
Remove everything, sand with 120 grit and/or a scuff pad, etching primer on any bare spots, wipe down with Prepsal, mask and shoot. A local paint shop put the Chamonix in rattle cans which are fine for engine bay and trunk.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I will use tin foil and blue tape but only lower half first then upper the next day while the catalyzed paint is still good.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Doing the drivers side inner fender well is horrible work. years of brake fluid damage are immediately followed by rust on the lower rail. It’s messy, hard to get too and results in many small cuts to the hands.

Good job Chris! It’s going to look spectacular!

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Nice work! Seeing your Chamonix car unfold has been especially interesting as my car is the same color and similar condition. It has been especially fun to watch two projects, yours and Mr Cain’s, in relatively close states of renovation (loosely). Combined, they’ve been giving me courage and encouragement to think about doing the same. Thanks for keeping us motivated!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you, if I can do it then anyone can do it. I’m just a self taught wrench and I started when I was in high school. I just don’t relish working under cars anymore but it can’t be avoided with some tasks, just no more pulling motors or transmissions for me.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’ve been busy today but I don’t work on it every day as I have to walk away when the frustration starts, e.g. trying to put the clutch reservoir pipe into the clutch master. I will need to to remove it again and try to do it on the bench. I shot the Cerakote myself after the parts were vapor honed, I even shot a bit on the oil can to protect the lettering.

2CA94632-0835-40B0-B18C-CB4623F6E350.jpeg
F4B6331E-6241-46DF-86EF-76563DD2B10B.jpeg
20553DEF-2A66-4E91-8330-4FBAC5794A3D.jpeg