Will have to start somewhere

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No they do not come with the rebuild kits , one reason I never split them apart . Luckily My stubburn boss has always found a way to get the pistons out , Me , I order new ones , haha
hopefully someone will know where to get some orings that will work , I think a few months back there was a whole thread here on rebuilding calipers ?

good luck Peter

BD
so where do you order new ones ... penske recently listed the calipers as NLA.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hi

@peter, the rubber washers are EPDM rubber washers, available from walloth, but probably from bmw too, the bolts for front calipers are available too, the bolts for rear i think are NLA,
nuts are available, and should be replaced in any case

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17483&highlight=caliper+rebuild

This seems to be the definitive post on the caliper rebuild so I wanted to keep it on this thread for easy reference for me, but after reading it looks like this will be yet another job I'll have to do twice. This is becoming a VERY common theme with me. :-(

Hey Peter -- I'm likely to send my calipers off to this guy even though I've done some rebuilds myself. His article, posts here and recommendations are all top notch.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing myself but I figured I'm already more than half way there and I have never had any trouble with any rebuilds I've done and the plating is 98% there so I'll make sure they work. I'm sure this guy is awesome however I have found that caliper paint works pretty well in place of expensive plating and I usually end up servicing my brakes pretty often. Back in the 70's you never got new calipers, always just cleaned up the old ones and put in new seals so unless he's doing these for less than 200.00 a pair......

I did learn an awful lot from reading his post and it was very kind of him to go into such detail for us all, another reason this site is so awesome!!

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
SS bumper runners from the coupeguy

These were really easy to put in and worked well. I posted a couple shots below

Attachments

• bumper strip.jpg
    bumper strip.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 192
  • bumper strip1.jpg
    bumper strip1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 188

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, I used the original rubber, they clean up pretty well. When I come up I'll have a look at yours. Of course the look I'm going for on the Polaris is "old but perfectly maintained" so that may be a little different than your vision but we'll have a look :)

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
That is the look I too want. The rubber is in good shape, but I wasn't sure about the ability to recycle it. Glad to hear that worked for you.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Did a little work at lunchtime, put the bumper back on. I had a few extra sway bar bushings laying around and I just had a problem putting raw metal against the paint so I made these functional washers. I used that handy craftsman tool to safely slice the bushing easily. When putting the bumpers on (and taking them off) it is helpful to loosen the bumper rod nuts at the bumper to allow the bars to twist a little to get them over the carriage bolts. It also helps to have everything a little lose when leveling the bumper. I think I will try to pull the engine off the sub-frame tomorrow and get that sub-frame up the road to the blasters for cleaning and powder coating. Sorry Erik, I will not be "zinking" the sub-frame, but I bow my head to your level of rust prevention.

Attachments

• bumper bushing.jpg
    bumper bushing.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 220
  • bumper bushing1.jpg
    bumper bushing1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 205
  • bumper level.jpg
    bumper level.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 228
  • blur.jpg
    blur.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 217

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I rarely get a semi-identical before and after but working on the A/C lines I thought I would post this. I replaced all the crush washers but these lines seem bullet-proof so I thought I would try them out before spending hundreds of dollars on new ones because the fittings are definitely expensive.

Attachments

• ac lines before.jpg
    ac lines before.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 213
  • ac lines after.jpg
    ac lines after.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 213

Bwana

Reaction score
I've looked but can't find it in this thread? What is the distance between the posts of your MaxJax? I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one this summer but I want to be sure it will fit in my shop.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
BW, I don't have a Max Jack, my lift came from a car dealership that closed and I paid 1400.00 for a 2 post lift and a couple of years later had to replace the cylinders which cost about 500.00 X 2.

Sorry, can't help with the Max Jack.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just some more stuff

Nothing too spectacular but I'm having fun piecing this car together. So many of the parts just need a good cleaning and the parts that I had/have to buy really fit into the maintenance category. Of course, there is one or two more "big pieces" Namely the engine/transmission and then the interior. Below are a couple of things that got done in the last few days and the dirt block I will have to muddle with. Got some help finding the stock exhaust with the stainless down-tubes from Carl & Ben, I figure if it's going to sound like a stock BMW it needs to be as close to stock as possible- and I do have the originals in good shape for the purists out there. The power steering system will have to be pretty much rebuilt. I may be able to get away with flushing out the box but the pump seems a little crusty- anyone have experience rebuilding those? The radiator was pressure tested and held perfectly and I found a tag on the side so I know it was replaced with an original BMW part as it had BMW and some other name stamped on the top like my other original radiator. Those little rubber buggers that go in between the front sheet metal are a little tricky but went in OK, the condenser checked out so that went in. When sfDon came to visit a while back he expressed his deep disgust for replacement wire ties so I made sure I saved the originals, cleaned them up and re-used them... Happy Don? :)

Attachments

• front subframe.jpg
    front subframe.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 227
  • block of dirt.jpg
    block of dirt.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 213
  • semi fresh radiator.jpg
    semi fresh radiator.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 215
  • semi stock exhaust.jpg
    semi stock exhaust.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 213
  • little bits.jpg
    little bits.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 220
  • more little bits.jpg
    more little bits.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 199
  • ready for engine.jpg
    ready for engine.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 213

m_thompson

Reaction score
I an interested to see how much your red AC hoses leak. I have the same 42 year old hoses that will likely need to be replaced. I hate to give up on the red and replace them with modern black hoses.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I an interested to see how much your red AC hoses leak. I have the same 42 year old hoses that will likely need to be replaced. I hate to give up on the red and replace them with modern black hoses.
i was wondering the exact same thing. i also like the red hoses ... wish we could find replacements

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I guess that is the $400.00+ question. When I took everything apart I inspected the hoses, not only were they seemingly strong, but after washing them with soap and water they came out pretty clean. I will have to connect everything up and test it but my guess is if they leak at all they will have to be replaced. My hope is that they will hold the pressure- I can't see why they wouldn't. But I won't know until the car is basically "finished".

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I tried and could not find red replacements, especially if you eliminate the vibration damper cannister. Regrettably I have black hoses but they haven't leaked a micron in 3 years.

i was wondering the exact same thing. i also like the red hoses ... wish we could find replacements

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I guess I could check with an industrial hose place, they should be able to get any color you want, black, green, red, yellow, I was more worried about the fittings-

Finished the engine area today... now it just needs an engine :)

Attachments

• engine bay done.jpg
    engine bay done.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 210