WTB Set of black (anodised) wiper arms and blade holders

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe the black wiper arms/ face lift cars are bolted onto the spindel and not snap on type like the pre face lift cars have.
The black arms have a cap under which is the bolt and spindle itself is threaded on top for the bolt. This was surely the FL fix for the arms detaching themselves inflight!
Although @Michael Kaye has a face lift car, it’s a known fact that earlier FL cars ended up with the surplus Pre FL parts like chrome arms, 5 black slat kidneys etc.
Either way, a direct sway is not possible.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We need a photo! Thanks Keshav, I thought this too but the 2002 got black arms in 74 and they snap on just like earlier arms so I though I must be wrong.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@mpgandco could clarify or anyone with a late 74 onwards.

1623702453729.jpeg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe the black wiper arms/ face lift cars are bolted onto the spindel and not snap on type like the pre face lift cars have.
The black arms have a cap under which is the bolt and spindle itself is threaded on top for the bolt. This was surely the FL fix for the arms detaching themselves inflight!
Although @Michael Kaye has a face lift car, it’s a known fact that earlier FL cars ended up with the surplus Pre FL parts like chrome arms, 5 black slat kidneys etc.
Either way, a direct sway is not possible.
Mine is a 74 and has the bolt-on black arms… I do not know if it’s original.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine is a 74 and has the bolt-on black arms… I do not know if it’s original.
Surely original. Maybe you could take a couple of pics to show the set up. One has to have the spindles with the bolts on top

Simufly

Reaction score
I know the e3 went from clip on to bolt on wiper arms, but my old e9 43500** has clip on bases. It was delivered in the UK with chrome arms.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know the e3 went from clip on to bolt on wiper arms, but my old e9 43500** has clip on bases. It was delivered in the UK with chrome arms.

So as Simon pointed out, his old E9, now mine, has clip on arms. Until @Keshav told me there were bolt on versions for the facelift cars, I had assumed the changes for the 74' car were just that the arms were anodised black and mechanism for attaching was the same.

So it looks like I will be staying silver…which as Simon says is what were original to the car (unless someone out there discovers BMW did do sets of black clip on arms!)

Thanks all for posting…always interesting to get into the details of our cars.

Simufly

Reaction score
Yes BMW did do black clip on arms! Indeed I was not aware that the e9 ever had bolt on arms. You life and learn!

2002turbo

Reaction score
If someone finds a source I could use a pair for my US 74 CS .. not sure what the difference between a notch and a rim is but my wiper drive axles have what I would call fine splines. I believe I need black as well, all my grilles etc are black. Right now I have a set of 2002 chrome arms on the car with the wing on the driver blade. On my 2002 Turbo, same arms but they are black.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If someone finds a source I could use a pair for my US 74 CS .. not sure what the difference between a notch and a rim is but my wiper drive axles have what I would call fine splines. I believe I need black as well, all my grilles etc are black. Right now I have a set of 2002 chrome arms on the car with the wing on the driver blade. On my 2002 Turbo, same arms but they are black.

You need to first determine whether your current wiper arms snap on or are bolted to the spindle. If they are the snap on type then the new black ones won’t help…… in which case you’ll need silver ones, snap on type. Removing one wiper arm will show you what you have.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can confirm that later E9s have the arms bolted. I can clearly see them sticking alone as someone stole the arms...

and he must have been equipped with a wrench to unbolt them ;-)

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Latest models (at least according to the BMW brochure) have had black arms (can't see if there was a wing on the driver one or not)

1623780337553.png

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agreed @Krzysztof but my car is a facelift car. Built in December 73, and shipped in 74.

But although it is a facelift car, it does seem to have come with Silver wipers and blades and a black 5 slatted anodised grill.

During this period BMW used their old stock. So its seems there are probably early facelift cars and later facelift cars :)

The outstanding question is whether there were black snap on arms or only black bolt on arms.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Get your silver ones professionally painted black mat and you’ll have what you want……

Wladek

Reaction score
Couple years back i had one late bolt-on wiper arm version, shape of arm is the same, but it will surely require different wiper mechanism.
I also had several e9 wiper mechanisms & none had splines that will fit that "late bolt-on wiper arm version".
As i mentioned earlier i had 2x NOS Black wiper arms for e9 & they where 100% the same snap version as stainless, the only difference was that the alloy splines part was sort of anodized, & main part of the arm itself & spoiler was from zinc plated steel painted in black. Original black colour was SATIN.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good to know,

Does it mean the two numbers which I have detected according to BMW part catalog can (differ) as being for snap on and bold on?

Is it true than that the arms for late E9 are (as catalog is telling) as for E12 and E21?