WTB MPH speedo

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is it possible that early 2800s were 1.1 because they used shorter 175 tires, and then later was 1.078 for their taller 195 tires?

I read:

"175 HR 14 (until August 1969)
195/70 HR 14"

Notice that both 1.1 examples were from 2800s?

Last edited:

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is it possible that early 2800s were 1.1 because they used shorter 175 tires, and then later was 1.078 for their taller 195 tires?

I read:

"175 HR 14 (until August 1969)
195/70 HR 14"

Notice that both 1.1 examples were from 2800s?

Surely the profile of the 175 tyres would have been greater - 175/80, to make up for this?

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Update

I am told (by Nisonger Instruments) that re-calibrating a speedo with a different W code would be a simple task as far displaying the correct speed is concerned, but the odometer would not be accurate. I would only do the MPH conversion if I could have an accurate odometer, as I would really want to record the miles accurately.

Looks like I need to wait for a MPH speedo with the correct W code.

Thanks all for the input and suggestions.

Cheers!
Dan

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update

I am told (by Nisonger Instruments) that re-calibrating a speedo with a different W code would be a simple task as far displaying the correct speed is concerned, but the odometer world not be accurate. I would only do the MPH conversion if I could have an accurate odometer, as I would really want to record the miles accurately.

Looks like I need to wait for a MPH speedo with the correct W code.

Thanks all for the input and suggestions.

Cheers!
Dan

I would run that statement by Hollywood Speedometer. They do this all the time and I don’t think that they are in the business of odometer fraud.

The odometer and speedometer are not mutually exclusive items. If you are traveling at the correct speed relative to the speedo drive, you should be logging the correct miles. If you changed the speedo face to match the needle position, that would be a different story.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They were, looks like mine is off a CSA not a CSi

I thought so....in fact I remember drooling over them as a young lad back in England. The fact that there is a W code for a MPH speedo in a Coupe with a 3.25 diff gives me hope that I will find one eventually.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought so....in fact I remember drooling over them as a young lad back in England. The fact that there is a W code for a MPH speedo in a Coupe with a 3.25 diff gives me hope that I will find one eventually.

Not trying to create confusion. I consider UK as part of Europe. :) CSL’s also uses a 3.25...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i went looking thru the 4 speedos that i have ... mixed bag, but no 1.078. so here are the numbers that i have (the one in my coupe isn't available to check right now, but it is a 2800cs speedo from a CSA)
6 / 69 = w-0.69 = 20/134/1
8/73 = w-0.67 = 20/134/5 (this one is in kmh)
10/73 = w-1.027 = 20/147/3
1/74 = w-1.027 = 20/147/3

so i'm a little puzzled as the only one that corresponds to the list is the kmh speedo. the one from a very early 2800cs (w-0.69) throws me for a loop. i would have thought that the late ones i have would have been the 1.2164 ... or possibly the 1.14.

also - very curious about the 20 / 147 / # ... i have 1, 3 + 5. anybody know more about these numbers ... i assume they are the VDO number.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
W=0.679 is kph 3.25 in the parts books. The numbers seem to be rounded on the instruments?

W=1.027 is a new one, not in the books, more mysteries.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, the w 0.69is the one i don't get. its a mph speedo ... but the number is more like the kph version than the mph versions.
the 1.027 is really bizarre as they are late '73 / early '74. and that would make you think it was for something lower than a 3.25 ... which seems like the wrong way for a late car

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris
I am guessing that the reason that 1.078 in not in the book is that it was not used with E9 . But was used on the 633i or 635i(E24) starting for Europe market with 3.07 LSD. I bet Carl N. Can answer that!!
This is now intriguing to me !
For what is worth the folks at “Palo Alto Speedometer” , owner Hermoth , knows VDO. I had a very good experience with them recently!

Last edited: