Who repairs RHD Brake servos

Barry.b

Reaction score
Hi Sandhu
That is perfect.
Apologies for using the word cheap earlier , I’m just a bit swamped at the moment with how many parts I have to buy for her.
I am delighted that you clarified that they are highly recommended .
And I think at this stage they might be the way to go.
Thanks again for your advice
It is really helpful and I can move forward now and get 1 more piece of the puzzle sorted.
Thanks
Hi guys
Should I remove the “banjo connectors “
Beforehand or is it okay to send the servos with them still attached ?

Attachments

• 2E860F03-765E-424F-8C05-F9CF7B02093B.jpeg
    2E860F03-765E-424F-8C05-F9CF7B02093B.jpeg
    676.8 KB · Views: 80

Barry.b

Reaction score
I removed mine, as I didn’t want them to go missing.
Okay
That is what I was thinking too .
The drawback of that is I would then need to find my own seals / gaskets for them.
Did you purchase those seals somewhere ?
What material is good to seal against brake fluid ?

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi guys
It seems my information was incorrect above.
I got clarification today , that if I buy parts in the UK for export to me here in Ireland, I don’t have to pay the 20% UK vat tax , so it is not as bad as I thought.
I have to pay 26% importation tax instead.
My plan this weekend is to get my master cylinder and 2 brake servos off of the car and packed up ready to ship them off to Past parts UK
The sooner I send them away the better as they are saying they might take 6 to 8 weeks to get them sorted.
Why not send the clutch master cylinder and Slave cylinder as well, especially if they are original.
I had issue with clutch master cylinders when I fitted a cheap replacement, I broke the push rod. The original must have been tough to last 40 years of use.n

Barry.b

Reaction score
Why not send the clutch master cylinder and Slave cylinder as well, especially if they are original.
I had issue with clutch master cylinders when I fitted a cheap replacement, I broke the push rod. The original must have been tough to last 40 years of use.n
Hi
I did consider sending those also but I thought I could find new replacements locally, so I would not have to deal with shipping costs and import duties , then the dealbreaker last night was my clutch slave cylinder is seized inside the bellhousing, so I decided not to fight with it late last night.
My servos and brake master cylinder were boxed up today and I have now posted them off to Past Parts UK
So they should be ready in about 6 weeks.
Hopefully they won’t have any trouble with them.

sdoyle

Reaction score
Hi guys
It seems my information was incorrect above.
I got clarification today , that if I buy parts in the UK for export to me here in Ireland, I don’t have to pay the 20% UK vat tax , so it is not as bad as I thought.
I have to pay 26% importation tax instead.
My plan this weekend is to get my master cylinder and 2 brake servos off of the car and packed up ready to ship them off to Past parts UK
The sooner I send them away the better as they are saying they might take 6 to 8 weeks to get them sorted.
Hi Barry B.
I am in Waterford. I need to get two RHD brake boosters reconditioned for the '74 CSi that I'm nrearly finished.
My question is did you get yours sorted. I would very much to know the details, where / how much any pitfalls.
Many thanks, Seán.

Barry.b

Reaction score
Hi Barry B.
I am in Waterford. I need to get two RHD brake boosters reconditioned for the '74 CSi that I'm nrearly finished.
My question is did you get yours sorted. I would very much to know the details, where / how much any pitfalls.
Many thanks, Seán.
Hi Seán
Apologies for not replying earlier, I was tied up with mother’s day duties :)
I sent mine off and got them rebuilt by past parts uk
They did a great job on them , now I haven’t actually got my car running yet , so as such they have not been road tested but I was definitely happy with the service they provided.
I had asked them if they did repairs to the proportioning valve also , but they don’t.
Because of Brexit you will have to pay import duties to get your own parts back , which is a bit sad , but I don’t think we have any options to get them done in Ireland.
Plan ahead also as you are looking at approximately 6 to 8 weeks turnaround.

I didn’t realise you were in Waterford , I thought you were up the country somewhere, I am in Cork so we might cross paths someday when we both get our cars up and running.

Attachments

• C0002870-38AF-4EDF-A368-088876B1AB80.png
    C0002870-38AF-4EDF-A368-088876B1AB80.png
    408.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 45DBD338-0F75-44C0-B8DE-69C6902A31C4.png
    45DBD338-0F75-44C0-B8DE-69C6902A31C4.png
    416.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Barry.b

Reaction score
Here are before and after pics :

Attachments

• DF01DCDC-FBBB-4E98-BC75-CB8DAD99BFC1.jpeg
    DF01DCDC-FBBB-4E98-BC75-CB8DAD99BFC1.jpeg
    715 KB · Views: 43
  • 546BA100-0613-46BD-BCD6-AC0B1F0BEFCD.jpeg
    546BA100-0613-46BD-BCD6-AC0B1F0BEFCD.jpeg
    648.8 KB · Views: 50

Rek

Reaction score
Hi guys
I am just wondering if anyone can recommend someone who reconditions RHD brake servos and RHD brake master cylinders
I have heard of Linwar motors in the UK
And I might use them to be honest, the only drawback of that is because of brexit I will have to pay 26% import taxes to receive goods from them .
Which is painful !!
Anyway
Does anyone know of anyone in Ireland that does brake reconditioning ??
Or someone in Europe that does RHD work.
I know that is a long shot , but it’s worth asking anyway.
Thanks again.
Surely you know someone in N Ireland who needs Linwar to refurbish their brake servo's. Somewhere close to you near the border.

Rek

Reaction score

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
This was my solution. Twin circuit booster from the same company @Rek purchased from. Only issue I had was that the outlets are 3/8 UNF rather than M10. I have reused the original banjo bolts and unions from the bmw servos but retapped the banjo bolts to 3/8 which is about 9.5mm rather than 10mm. Frees up a lot of space, is lighter and less than half the cost

Attachments

• IMG_20240317_131054.jpg
    IMG_20240317_131054.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20240317_131640.jpg
    IMG_20240317_131640.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 37

sdoyle

Reaction score
Here are before and after pics :
Hi Barry,
Another question. I have sent the servos and the master cylinder to Pastpart in the UK . I have just found out that they are being held pending payment of customs charges. did that happen in your case. Thank you, Seán.

Barry.b

Reaction score
Hi Barry,
Another question. I have sent the servos and the master cylinder to Pastpart in the UK . I have just found out that they are being held pending payment of customs charges. did that happen in your case. Thank you, Seán.
Hi Seán
Mine were also in customs when they got to the Uk.
I was not aware of it at the time though.
Past parts took care of it themselves.
I only found out when mine seemed to be running late on the scheduling.
I only had to deal with customs myself when they were coming back into Ireland.

Attachments

• ECBD3D57-BBD1-4AD2-BE1E-CF3919133FAF.png
    ECBD3D57-BBD1-4AD2-BE1E-CF3919133FAF.png
    428.9 KB · Views: 9

sdoyle

Reaction score
Hi Seán
Mine were also in customs when they got to the Uk.
I was not aware of it at the time though.
Past parts took care of it themselves.
I only found out when mine seemed to be running late on the scheduling.
I only had to deal with customs myself when they were coming back into Ireland.
Hi Barry,
Ok, so I am experiencing the same situation. I had been checking on the tracking number, I could see the package being held. I have sent Pastparts an email and I will ring them tomorrow. Thanks again for the help, Seán.