What is an average age?

tmason

Reaction score
With the cars getting close to and over the age of 40. What about the age of there drivers?My age is 53 and feel like 33 when driving Miss Lazy today! (an automatic)
Also I have a trip planned this summer to take her to Tahoe and will post photo's and if anybody else take's a trip to post photo's so we can see some places to add to our bucket list.
Thanks Tim

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score

An acquaintance accused me on Friday night of being the youngest person to own an E9. I doubt that's the case; I'm 28.

I'll wait to commit to exotic locations until she's off her support stands and back on 'er wheels. Hopefully she will be after two more weekends of work!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After seeing one drive by one day, I searched for months then bought my first coupe in 1984 at the age of 22. Sold it in 1987, regrettably, but it was for a good cause - just ask my wife :) - I wanted another ever since. Bought #2 last year at age 48. Feel 22 when I drive it (but not after working on it all day!). I get more enjoyment out of owning this particular model car than any other I've had - some were faster, some more valuble, but none that I connect with like the coupe. Here it is from this morning's early drive through the French Quarter, in front of the Cornstalk Hotel on Royal Street, followed by a stop for tea where it drew a crowd of curious youths who've never seen one. Then home for oil change, wheel cleaning, wipe down, and interior Leatherique before into the garage and the cover went back on for the week.

Cornstalk.jpg

Last edited:

mr bump

Reaction score
39 when i first got my cs (last year), then 40 when i got the csl (jan 2011), the cs is nearly done which i must say is a plesure bolting it back together as ive got a big double garage, and cannot wait to get it back on the road. As for the csl, i must have been mad, its a terrible state,i would say 5 years+ to get it back up and running and thats part time. but it beats being dragged to the local diy store every weekend. But while the coupes are un-useable at present, i also have an E34 alpina to cure my fix so its a bit easier for me. It is hard having a car on stands, while the sun is shining and you keep passing other great classic cars..:cry: Im sure these will be the only cars il dabble in till i settle in the big wooden box!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
okay i'm going with the average ... bought it late in the 53rd year ... will be 54 in a week. fell in love with the car when i was a teenager ... finally have one

JohnHein

Reaction score
Currently living in Houston North suburbs
I am now 55. The following is part of a post I sent last year that explains my early and continuing fondness for the Beemer badge:

I was in high school in 1972 and one of my friends had his mom's Bavaria out on Friday night. Bear in mind that this is Oklahoma City; not too many Beemers around. My friend had a few too many I get to be a designated driver of the Bav. 17 years old, never been in an exotic anything and the then proud owner of a '63 bug! Are you freaking kidding? I am there baby as that Bavarian dream car fires up. Nothing like I had ever seen before. That was no bug, no Detroit muscle; just pure German subtle class. It is an experience that I can still remember vividly.

As I understand, these were very expensive and exclusive. You could have had a big Cedes, an ultimate Caddie or any performance luxury available in the area. My folks ended up 4 years later with 2002. I got one later myself and now have the coupe.

But even still, that Bav experience, on a Friday night after the football game, a couple of cold ones and a "roll your own", Led Zep on FM, it will never be any better.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
in the words of Groucho Marx

" A man is only as old as the woman he feels"
In this case the car.... I am 57 and bought her at 47.
Stan

polaris68

Site Donor
Reaction score
My first car was a '76 2002, but I have always wanted a coupe since the age of 16. My goal was to have a coupe by the time I was 40. I purchased my coupe last year one month after I turned 40.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Somehow I got dragged into seeing "When a Man Loves a Woman" in 1994 starring, from what I remember, a polaris 3.0 CS coupe. I was 22 at the time and from that moment on the e9 became my favorite car and I had to have it. It was five years later until I bought my first one; now, at age 38 I am on coupe number four.

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was 31 when I bought my '73, and 54 today.

The coupe is still graceful, athletic, and spirited. I however.......

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
56. I was 29 back in 84 when I sold my first car (a 74 2002) to buy my 72 CSI (which I still drive everyday).

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
52! Fell in love with the E9 in my early 20's and fantasized day and night about owning one. Bought my first 72 3.0CS in 1988 at age 29. Purchased my present 72 coupe in 2002 at 43. In 1992, I bought my 1988 M6 at 33.

steve in reno

Reaction score
1983 never seen an e9 before.
Saw a 2800cs, polaris, at a garage for sale and took a drive.
I was 34 at the time and had some cash in my pocket.
I still own that very car 28 years later. I have had several reasons to put it for sale but just couldn't do it.
I wish that the internet and this forum had been invented during my early years of ownership!
It is in much better condition than when I bought it 28 years ago, mostly in the last 10 years.

My wife used to complain that her new car was always out in the rain/snow and wanted the bmw moved so she could park in the garage. I politely pointed out to her that the car was there when she arrived, and would be there when she was gone. She has given up since it is in much better shape now.

I turn 62 this year and the pride I feel while driving this car can't be described. I personally have turned nearly every bolt during my ownership. It is now an heirloom and will be given to my son when I die.
steve

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
E-9's and ages of first E-9

In 1968 test drove the first 2002 in Orange County--promised self that would be my next car after disposing of the 912 Porsche I then had.

WHOA--saw a dark blue Coupe parked at entrance to our neighborhood and another on the base at Los Alamitos Naval Air Station. Easily broke promise of 2002 plan as now have found the Holy Grail of wheels. Checked prices of new ones in late 1971--too much (around $12.5) as $ was shrinking in face of Deutchmark--no difference in 40 years. Began search for used--found the BLUMAX in February 1972. At 43 years of age--now over 39 years later, two other coupes and wives have come and gone--but still have my first born.

In spite of its high miles today (417,800) BLUMAX is a far better drive than when almost new. Its faster, more planted and stops better--not so with the driver and can't claim it makes me feel 43 again--maybe 53 or 63--but when out and about for a drive it's like a favorite dance partner--smooth, elegant, beautiful and occasionally noticed.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
41 years

I don't think I saw my first coupe in "the flesh" until the early 2000s. I don't recall ever seeing one in my hometown of Richmond, Va. I do remember wanting one badly after seeing a 10 best used cars article in Road and Track in the 1980s. I was probably 15 at the time, so it just wasn't going to happen.

While I was living in Charleston, SC in the early 2000s there was an immaculate green automatic coupe that frequented my repair shop, Autometrics. A coupe then entered the bucket list.

I drove a string of e36 M3s, a 318ti, Audi A4, 318is, etc, over the years.

Finally, last year, I had the extra money to get a strictly hobby car, and I found this forum somehow, and soon found my coupe on bmwcca.org.

I'm a sucker for design and pillarless coupes in particular.

Scott

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm 52 and feeling it because I don't own a Coupe. Currently have more cars than a sensible man should, but I do plan on owning a Coupe. I got a ride in my Best friend's Dad's new 72' CS. We left early in the morning on a road trip from Montreal to Toronto to see the Canadian Grand Prix. I had never been in a Euro car other than a Beetle. I rode in the back. I remember watching the speedo climb to 110 MPH, and we cruised at that speed most of the way.
Those were the days.

71-2800 CS

Reaction score
First one...

I am 43 now and saw my first one in about 1975 at the age of 8. I remember the tool kit in the trunk, the thin pilars in the back, and sitting for a drive in the back - very comfortable at the time. The car belonged to an uncle who just imnmigrated from Portugal. About 12 years later I visited the island of Terceira in the Azores. My uncle and family moved back home and took the car with them across the Atlantic. My second time driving in a coupe was in this same coupe and this time it was my cousins car. I remember some rust the second time around but had no knowledge of the history of E9's. A year ago I was thinking about buying a BMW 2002 as a third car. In my search I once again came across the beauty of the coupe and decided why mess with a 2002 when I can have a coupe. I bought one 6-months ago and plan to keep it forever. I recently tried to search for my cousin in the Azores but had no luck. Wonder if the car is still alive.

JhwShark

Reaction score
My first German car was not the BMW but the VW (bug) a hand-me-down shared with my twin as we headed off to college in ’74. Just before college I saw my first ’02 and was impressed, I thought “I was going to buy one of those as soon as I could”. I met a future roommate in line buying ski tickets and he gave me a ride to Tahoe in his 1600; and I confirmed my BMW appreciation when I saw a 2800cs and a Bavaria enroute!

A few years later (which was two years prior to buying my coupe) I bought a 1972 2002 near Edam Netherlands, drove south then east through Deutschland over to the “Iron Curtain” Prague and Pills down to Vienna over to more “Curtain countries” to Budapest past Lake Balaton down to Beograde then south to Thessalonica (fuel pump issue caused me to tear it apart to clean the screen during a lunch stop) down to Mount Olympus then Volos and south to Athena… then back north through Macedonia and Meteora up and over to costal Yugoslavia Dubrovnik up to Trieste then up the Alps back into Germany before the Rotterdam port. What a trip, some great roads, and what an idea…fly to Europe to see the world, buy a car and bring it home to pay for the trip (previously did this between Utah and California, market price differential allowed the car to pay for the ski trip)…but kept the ’02 for 250,000km then sold it, the first of many trips and German cars…

At the age of 27, in 1983 I bought my only coupe (3.0CSi) from the original owner outside of Aussen. I drove it through Baden Baden and the Schwartzwald, to Neuschwanstein and east to Bavaria’s Munchen and Salzburg up the mountains to Innsbruck over to Interlaken to Basel to Colmar, then to Heidelberg, Koblenz, and Treir then on the final leg to Rotterdam prior to shipping it home to the Port of San Francisco and ultimately to Davis, CA…How many km’s…priceless??? In California my longest drive was from Davis to Laguna Beach and back, nothing as long as my first trip. Now nearly 30 years later…where to go next in my only coupe???

At 54...The road not traveled is opportunity yet to come; anyone up for a “ride”???

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Really impressed by how long you Coupe owners have been delighted by your cars. I hope to buy mine off a long termer. I just gotta get one to part with one. I get the feeling the good ones come for sale when tragedy arrives . Death, divorce, financial ruin.