Upgrading to a Parallel Flow Condenser

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Luis,

in all fairness, the summers in the south are a bit hotter and more humid than mid 80's. in stevehose's case he has 6 to 8 months at above 90 degrees - all with 95% humidity. atlanta is not quite as humid, or as hot, but we do spend a reasonable quantity of time in the 90's

i do take your point about a replacement of a stock blower ... but i also hear what a few people have said about freezing their forearm off

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you Luis, for your direction towards the blower. I have thought about that and how to spray some magic, steroid/WD-40 type "juice" to get more effort from that critical piece of the a/c system. Anyone ever rebuild one of these? Are there any parts that can be made "heavy-duty" or just made to perform better? I have tried to google a/c blower rebuilders, but no joy. :(

jefftepper

Reaction score
Interesting discussion. From the description of marginal cooling from stock A/C, it appears that the volume of air flow across the evaporator coil may be a limiting factor in cooling the passengers. Assuming the capacity of the evaporator coil to extract heat from the air circulating through the evaporator box is not a limiting factor, and the existing cooling ducts and grills are not so small they are at or near maximum capacity now, air flow may be enhanced in at least a couple of ways.

First, if the squirrel cage blower fans can be made to spin faster (more powerful motor?), I would think that air flow could be increased and, in theory, provide a greater volume of cool air from dash vents. Also, fan blades of a different size, shape, and blade pitch may allow for greater volume of air handling to incrementally increase the speed and volume of cooled air.

Second, if E3 style eyeball vents are installed at either end of the E9 dash with connective ducting, adding in-line fans in the ducts, similar in function to the pancake fans in a desktop computer box, may enhance air flow by pulling it through through the evaporator box the way forced induction rams more air into a combustion chamber (Think supercharger).

Controlling the additional fan flow would need a thermostatic relay controller similar in operation to those used to run aftermarket electric automotive radiator cooling fans.
Not sure how best to assemble such an airflow augmentation system but the individual components appear to be available off the shelf.

Who is up for the challenge??

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Makes you wonder how people even survived summer in a car in days past. Or is it that modern expectations take precedence?

I'm not saying put up with discomfort for the sake of nostalgia but there is a case for accepting that you won't get the car to reproduce the Arctic tundra in January.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hey we are all getting older and less tolerant of the current conditions of summer ... we can easily get arctic conditions in january up here where it is winter (just sayin ... but i realize you are from the land of OZ ... where it is different most of the year). these days i would much rather have arctic morning than tropical noon.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
hey we are all getting older and less tolerant of the current conditions of summer ... we can easily get arctic conditions in january up here where it is winter (just sayin ... but i realize you are from the land of OZ ... where it is different most of the year). these days i would much rather have arctic morning than tropical noon.
+1, Scott. Why not try to improve creature comforts? We all like to work on our cars, finesse some advancements. If there is a way to enjoy a cooler interior while we sit in 2017 traffic, not 1972 traffic, well then, I'm in!

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am fitting a parallel flow condenser and am considering having brackets made up, possible water jet cut, depending on cost
For each bracket I would have 2 bolts to the condenser for stability
Each bracket would be more or less a triangle with 3 holes
These would be to fit the condenser: Nostalgic AC Parts 1 44-1618 16 X 18 Superflow R-134a Condenser
Would anyone want to help amortize the cost?

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know yet, I am just now drawing it up
Then I will have to find a place and get a quote, but the quote will be for a number of units
Probably early next week before I can do this

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
okay ... let me know, i might well be interested as i need to get a parallel flow condenser

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Would like to see the drawing and fitment details as I may be interested. I'm in the process of fitting air con' and Don is sending a condenser but I don't know which brand.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have to remeasure, make and make a prototype, but the bracket(s) would be similar to the drawing attached, assuming my attachment works
The holes in the condenser I bought are about 1.6 CM apart, so you could slide it up and down by that increment
Steve used a simple strap, (one hole on car and one on condenser for each bracket), I think I want 2 on the condenser for vertical stability, but you could do as Steve did

Attachments

• AC bracket rough design in CM.jpg
    AC bracket rough design in CM.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 180

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I also need to proof read...
The side with 2 holes would go on the condenser, the vertically elongated hole would go on the car / original bracket
I think with the vertical slotted hole one shape would fit all 3 locations

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mark99,

When I installed my system, I cut 3 triangle pieces nearly identical to your design from 1/4" sheet aluminum. Put 2 on the left side (drivers side) and 1 on the right.
The right side has 2 hose connex that add to the rigidity.
I used a hack saw, drill press, and grinding wheel to produce them. When they were complete and had been test fitted, I painted them in flat black and lnstalled them. The condenser is very firmly held rubber with O rings between it and the chassis.

Gary

Last edited:

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Gary,
I thought I would go plasma cuter over saw, but yep same thing
Do you happen to have accurate dimensions for the mounting holes in the car (transverse and vertical)?

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Gary,
Did you make 3 different shapes or use slotted holes to make up the difference in the vertical spacing between the car and the condenser holes?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Would like to see the drawing and fitment details as I may be interested. I'm in the process of fitting air con' and Don is sending a condenser but I don't know which brand.
i have heard Don speak of this same condenser when discussing my coupe

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IMG_5629.JPG
Old stuff replaced with new stuff....

Anyone else seen the new CK air conditioner stuff?
Over the top new ideas.