Upgrading to a Parallel Flow Condenser

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A third vent in drivers side would be nice. Leave passenger side as is. Probably enough fan cfm for that. For crotch cooling. :)

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
so the fan would have enough cfm for another vent on the drivers sidee
well that's what I'm thinking. Not a long run to under steering column, as opposed to end of dash in a Bav. x 2. Would be helpful to have a way to select fully closed also if just want cooled air through console.
Still investigating if there is a way to get more output from stock blower. Wonder if anyone has tried.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
now the search is on for the right time of vent. time to collect different types and figure out how we can get them out of the panels.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i was wondering if you could install a linear type of grille at the back of the panel (above the pedals) or by the kick panel. i don't want to cut my panel either. i went looking on ebay, and the only thing that i could find of interest was a round Mini grille. i looked at a bunch of BMW grilles and the e28 seemed pretty good visually - just too big.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good work gents! It is early yet, I feel we are Zero-ing in on a possible solution/upgrade. Let's keep looking. Remember, that under dash panel is way under there. We can hopefully incorporate a vent from a period correct BMW that will just blend in. But any suggestions or improvements most welcome.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Why send cold air under dash towards knees when where you want it is upper torso? The squirrel cage fan blows right out the front, will it divert enough to the side? I can not test as the 2800 air is not working but the side vents get marginally decent fresh air at speed but it doesn't reach my face that I can tell. It may send air to the side better with the heater fan which shuts off when the A/C fan is on. Just thinking out loud.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why send cold air under dash towards knees when where you want it is upper torso? The squirrel cage fan blows right out the front, will it divert enough to the side? I can not test as the 2800 air is not working but the side vents get marginally decent fresh air at speed but it doesn't reach my face that I can tell. It may send air to the side better with the heater fan which shuts off when the A/C fan is on. Just thinking out loud.
fair enough Chris. I find significant heat in driver footwell, so was thinking of channelling some cooled air to that area. Wonder if there is any other location that could accept a vent. No one will put a hole in their dash, but what about that speaker opening? Is there any room behind that? Also just exploring thoughts, opinions.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you could blow air thru the speaker grille ... but that is still in the center and just above the standard grille. i have a '74 lower panel along with the telescoping '74 column ... and there are 2 holes in the lower panel for the window circuit breakers (which i don't use) ... i was wondering if i could get something to fit there ... or up higher where the fog light switch is or the rear window defog switch ... using a small circular type air grille (air plane style or enlarge it slightly and put one from a mini). i have a spare '74 panel so i might decide to cut one

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just get rid of the highly overrated speedometer- plenty of room there to cool your nose with some creative plumbing.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My Olds 442's had a small vent that blew cold air up and out to "down there" and it worked well, and since I am in shorts 99% of time I think it would help.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
My Olds 442's had a small vent that blew cold air up and out to "down there" and it worked well, and since I am in shorts 99% of time I think it would help.
back to "down there"...having just looked under the dash/console area, there is an opening beside where the heater "air guide" accesses the footwell. Could be just enough space for a vent to be added there. Have to find out if there is room to route hose. Haven't taken console apart yet, and I know once I do, I will be in it till solved, so I am waiting to add more reasons to take up console, add evaporator unit, perhaps fix those heater bowden cables.
SAM_3370.JPG oh, here is another reason, remove rust from heater air guide!

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Adding even a little cold air to the foot wells would actually make a big difference.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Based on my E3 experience, I don't feel that adding vents w stock blower will improve anything noticeably. Find a way to fit a stronger blower and many AC ills will be solved. I am pretty happy with my coupe's AC performance in mid 80's weather and I have no modern, added on insulation or tinting. Focus on getting the air blowing in the 30's. It does take time to cool off the interior. A quick trip today the store is just not long enough to completely cool it off however.