UK Classic Car Magazine article 3.0 CSi vs Jag XJ6 Coupe

Roland Grant

Reaction score
The UK guy's will probabaly have seen this already but there is an interesting comparison / test article in this month's Classic and Sports Car magazine between two contemporary pillarless coupe's available in the UK in the early to mid 70's. Both are rated 5 stars from a 6 possible so a draw in other words. It's interesting to see another point of view of our car. I particularly remember the jag as my best friend's father had one - I recall especially the space inside, leather seats, the very quiet progress and really good (autobox) pick up. All these features were rightly remaked upon by the present day tester too.

Whilst I love my E9, I wouldn't say it's the most relaxing car to drive, the engine tends only really to wake up a above 4k RPM, and the wind noise above 50mph is an irritation too. Again picked up by the magazine's test. However, a friend drove me some distance in my CSi recently, and from the passenger seat it all felt very brisk and comfortable progress. (Again another point of view). The obvious plus points picked out by the mag was the classic styling and attention quality and detail.

Have look out for the article and see what you think. If I can work it out I'll attempt to scan and post it here.

Regards

Roland Grant

Reaction score
The UK guy's will probabaly have seen this already but there is an interesting comparison / test article in this month's Classic and Sports Car magazine between two contemporary pillarless coupe's available in the UK in the early to mid 70's. Both are rated 5 stars from a 6 possible so a draw in other words. It's interesting to see another point of view of our car. I particularly remember the jag as my best friend's father had one - I recall especially the space inside, leather seats, the very quiet progress and really good (autobox) pick up. All these features were rightly remaked upon by the present day tester too.

Whilst I love my E9, I wouldn't say it's the most relaxing car to drive, the engine tends only really to wake up a above 4k RPM, and the wind noise above 50mph is an irritation too. Again picked up by the magazine's test. However, a friend drove me some distance in my CSi recently, and from the passenger seat it all felt very brisk and comfortable progress. (Again another point of view). The obvious plus points picked out by the mag was the classic styling and attention quality and detail.

Have look out for the article and see what you think. If I can work it out I'll attempt to scan and post it here.

Regards

mark

Reaction score
factor in the points comparison that the poms cannot help but talk up the home grown (sure thing the e type is the best sports car ever)

mark

Reaction score
factor in the points comparison that the poms cannot help but talk up the home grown (sure thing the e type is the best sports car ever)

gmad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why do the Australians refer to Brits as 'poms', or 'pommy bastards'? Just checking. Thanks.

gmad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why do the Australians refer to Brits as 'poms', or 'pommy bastards'? Just checking. Thanks.

Paul02

Reaction score
Reminds me of the old joke "why wasn't Jesus born in Australia ?

"because they couldn't find three wise men and a virgin"

Anyway I haven't given up the day job for a career in stand-up so regarding the article .

I haven't driven one of those jags for ages but I don't remember them handling as well or performing as well as an E9 . That mag done this a while back favouring an alfa romeo 2000gtv strongly over a 2002tii.
I just think they don't class these 70s bmws as classics.

Cheers Paul

Paul02

Reaction score
Reminds me of the old joke "why wasn't Jesus born in Australia ?

"because they couldn't find three wise men and a virgin"

Anyway I haven't given up the day job for a career in stand-up so regarding the article .

I haven't driven one of those jags for ages but I don't remember them handling as well or performing as well as an E9 . That mag done this a while back favouring an alfa romeo 2000gtv strongly over a 2002tii.
I just think they don't class these 70s bmws as classics.

Cheers Paul

mark

Reaction score
there's some debate but i think more accepted is Prisoner Of Her (his) Majesty.

and the full name is whinging pommy b*stard. don't know why.

mark

Reaction score
there's some debate but i think more accepted is Prisoner Of Her (his) Majesty.

and the full name is whinging pommy b*stard. don't know why.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
the brits do like to whinge but they have got the arrogance in check ;-) - just a bit of banter!

Rohan
(an irishman)

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
the brits do like to whinge but they have got the arrogance in check ;-) - just a bit of banter!

Rohan
(an irishman)

Malc

Reaction score
Australian Joke...
How do you know when a plane load of poms have arrived?

The engines shut down but the whining continues......

I've always liked that one :D

Malc
(A Brit)

Malc

Reaction score
Australian Joke...
How do you know when a plane load of poms have arrived?

The engines shut down but the whining continues......

I've always liked that one :D

Malc
(A Brit)

corsachili

Reaction score
Yeah, the Jag is quieter but it's certainly not a sports coupe by any stretch of the imagination. And I disagree that an E-type is a sports car. I'm not sure any Jaguar can be called a "driver's car". They're big, heavy, luxurious GT cars, but not Sports cars. I guess a C-type qualifies, as does it's sister the D-type. Comparing an E9 to a XJ-6 is stupid but if you were going to do it, the only truly objective manner would be to put em on a racetrack and see which runs quicker lap times. I bet the E9 would be the winner there.

-tj in Los Gatos

corsachili

Reaction score
Yeah, the Jag is quieter but it's certainly not a sports coupe by any stretch of the imagination. And I disagree that an E-type is a sports car. I'm not sure any Jaguar can be called a "driver's car". They're big, heavy, luxurious GT cars, but not Sports cars. I guess a C-type qualifies, as does it's sister the D-type. Comparing an E9 to a XJ-6 is stupid but if you were going to do it, the only truly objective manner would be to put em on a racetrack and see which runs quicker lap times. I bet the E9 would be the winner there.

-tj in Los Gatos