The Great Sanden M30 Compressor Bracket Mystery

dascoupeguy

Reaction score
Great!!Your picture shows both the problem and solution all in one. Did you cut the adjustment bracket it self or is it full size being around 4" long"? Can you get moremade or at least give us the dimensions of the plate you used to connect the two tubes?

Will get measurements shortly. Please be advised that the compressor used is a 'ZEXEL', part # 506211-0410. Uses r-12. (Its original application was for a 1992 Isuzu Rodeo)It requires its proprietary hose assembly that attaches both hi/lo via a manifold to the back of the compressor with one bolt and o-rings. I used it because it was given to me! Fortunately it worked, and is still working.

I did not use the 'outer' metal bracket Luis asked about either because I did not have it to begin with or thought it was unnecessary at the time of installation.

Wayne (DCG)

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
For further reference, here are photos of the "wing-cell" Bosch compressor just installed (round bottom ears and square top ears).

Attachments

• ACwingOpen.jpg
    ACwingOpen.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 384
  • ACwing2.jpg
    ACwing2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 367
  • ACwing3.jpg
    ACwing3.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 362

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
For further reference, here are photos of the "wing-cell" Bosch compressor just installed (round bottom ears and square top ears).

Sven, This is a different set up than the photo in Rob's post at the start of this thread. Why did you change? Do you mind sharing the cost of that new wing cell compressor? Is it from BMW? Thanks.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Luis,

I am still running the original set up on my coupe. This one is for a different coupe I am working on. We are doing a complete rebuild of the engine and suspension. We had intended on using the same set up, but when the compressor arrived with the square top ears, we changed directions and went with the appropriate brackets. The compressor was about $480 from BMW of Atlanta. It is a new Bosch unit (PN 64.52.1.374.558 ). The brackets I found used on ebay.

Last edited:

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
A/C compressor brackets

well now....I have come to understand that I have a certain level of patience and resolve when attempting to reverse engineer a great idea that comes to me when I think I have all the facts and info I may need to perform an upgrade on my Coupe. Especially if these "upgrades/improvements" require a lathe, creative bracketry, or a large amount of luck. I have looked at this A/C retro install and have concluded that if an M30 engine ever had a compressor bolted onto it, then I want that bracket, and especially the compressor that fits said bracket. M30s had A/C up to 1994, so a bracket from a 735i that will accept a Behr/Bosch compressor will likely fit my Coupe. Sven's photo seems to support this. (wing cell compressor). Procuring a compressor first and backwards sourcing brackets and bars to fit seem like too much trial and error for me...I just do not have the OCD level that is required for this exercise. Behr/Bosch compressors are available new and rebuilt, $150 and up, depending on source. You may even acquire an original R12 and rebuild it yourself for your new R134a system. Anyway...just my thoughts, don't limit yourself, try other options. Mike

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
A few pictures of brackets

The car in picture is a E34 iirc

Attachments

• download_20160131_142343.jpg
    download_20160131_142343.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 284
  • download_20160131_142224.jpg
    download_20160131_142224.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 265
  • download_20160131_143434.jpg
    download_20160131_143434.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Paul I have a set from a previous run I had done. I can do another if 10 guyts step up. $40 plus shipping to Canada

What you show in your pictures probably won’t work as the sheet metal bracket for adjustment will be 2 large. The solution is to use a slotted bracket about 2 1/2” long that will bolt one side to the mounting bracket on the engine the adaptor.

On my car after several montyhs of mocking up different hinds of brackets, I came yup with an arched piece with an arched groove for adjustment. Thge reason it is arched is so the engine side of the bracket doesn’t ride on the block and bt having them arched, will slide along the block. It also eliminated the need for the expensive adapter brackets you show.

Did you get my message about shipping your adapter? Shiupping cost me $15 to Canada and my price has always been USA shipping included. USA shipping runs me $5 so I will credit you the $5 and would appreciate it if you sent me the remaining $10

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I will take pictures and also do a hand drawing and post it later in the week and what I have said will make sense.

I made these by hand as I am not sure a small machine shop will be able to cut the curve and the curved slot.

As I said, I am in a posion to make the ones you have pictured. They will work fine just using a 2-3” straight and slotted bracket, 1 on each side for stability. If you look at the pictures you posted, you can see how a slotted bracket between the adaptors you show and the mounting plate on the engine side will allow the conpressor to adjust

The brackets I am using will work on a Sanden or Seltec compressor. Both are very similar in size, shape, quality and to me, are the compressors to use.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have this style, the slots needed to be elongated and washers in between the compressor and the bracket in order for it to line up cottectly, otherwise works great. Trim the bolts to allow more adjustment closer to the engine, makes getting the belt off easier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YORK-TO-SAN...ash=item2361e0a033:g:BM4AAOSwm8VU0k5i&vxp=mtr

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well! The options seem to be multiplying. Steve's bracket looks like a good bet with limited tweaking required. But as I'm in no rush here, I'll be hoping that a consensus emerges...

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
A solution!! Order-able adapters to fit a Sanden to the wing cell bracket!

Hey, folks, I was revisiting this issue and following some of the leads on myE28.com. If you read this thread:

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=126830&start=175

Youll see that a gentleman -- Will Nolan -- has adapter plates made in small batches that allow you to fit a Sanden to the standard E28 wing cell bracket.

I just swapped messages with Will, and while he says they're not exactly click-and-buy, he DOES sell them.

They're $50 shipped. He says you can e-mail him at [email protected].

I just ordered mine. Happy days!

Attachments

• sanden brackets.jpg
    sanden brackets.jpg
    1,017.7 KB · Views: 254
  • sanden brackets2.jpg
    sanden brackets2.jpg
    834.4 KB · Views: 274

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
So Rob... For those of us with no AC (in a CSI), is a recommended solution an E28 bracket (is there only one?) And this connector? This is one of the more confusing coupe issues I've come across...