The end is near....SCOTTeVEST's Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Regarding the altitude changes, I am familiar with cars tuned to sea level that have some trouble with performance when driven up to a higher altitude - for the reasons noted: air fuel ratio. I'm wondering if an engine is perceived to behave better going top down versus bottom up?

I would add that tire pressures can be equally finicky when changing altitude. I recall a road trip: leaving Chicago and heading to Colorado. After driving in the mountains for a few days, the center of the tire tread was worn thin because the tires were severely over inflated once in the thinner atmosphere. I would assume there is a relationship here... :D
agree

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Damn it, after all this, it appears that I will not be here for the painting after all. Just got this text from Benny. "Spot priming all the bad areas we had to fix yesterday at best we may be jamming by tomorrow then painting outside of car by Thursday Friday" Let me know what kind of videos/images I should ask them to take of the painting process, unless the outcome will speak to the process and leave as is.
IMG_4820.jpeg
IMG_4824.jpeg
IMG_4822.jpeg
IMG_4825.jpeg
IMG_4821.jpeg

"Spot priming all the bad areas we had to fix yesterday at best we may be jamming by tomorrow then painting outside of car by Thursday Friday"

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree. You see way more glossy "wood" in modern cars that looks like plastic and likely is. I prefer satin. I sent your instructions to the wood guy. Thanks1

Scott,

If your wood guy is not skilled in automotive paints, don’t force him to use them. If your car will never see temp extremes (below freezing and above 105C you should be fine with furniture grade synthetic finishes. My favorite is H17 alkyd varnish by Pratt and Lambert but your guy will have stuff he knows how to work with. I’ve always sprayed it rather than brushed. But again that’s probably because I learned to paint cars first and brushing a set of 7ft bubinga bookcases is inefficient.

http://www.prattandlambert.com/product-selector/homeowner/stains_clears/38_clear_varnish

John

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
@bfeng, will pass onto painter, Russ.
Just got this from Benny: "You will need to sight the car with us and sign off for paint"
So, tomorrow I will swing by at about 2pm MT and record the sign off. So, stay tuned for one last video before painting commences when I am gone.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would leave the bumper on, there are lots of jerks that park by feel
I would sooner driving in rain or snow versus parking it in the situation where someone could do something. I will go out of my way to ensure that no one touches the bumper or paint. Not worried about that

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
B6046051-E283-480E-B648-BFF6C7E316FE.jpeg

Someone backed into mine in the parking garage at work. The overrider was cockeyed and the left bumper rubber was hanging down (along with rusted bits of the attachment strip on the ground). Replaced the gouged rubber and riveted new strips (both sides). I accept the risks of occasional damage that comes with the rewards of daily driving but it would have been a lot worse without a bumper.

I would sooner driving in rain or snow versus parking it in the situation where someone could do something. I will go out of my way to ensure that no one touches the bumper or paint. Not worried about that

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
View attachment 44518

Someone backed into mine in the parking garage at work. The overrider was cockeyed and the left bumper rubber was hanging down (along with rusted bits of the attachment strip on the ground). Replaced the gouged rubber and riveted new strips (both sides). I accept the risks of occasional damage that comes with the rewards of daily driving but it would have been a lot worse without a bumper.

Given where I live and drive, there is NEVER a situation like this that I can't avoid 99.9999% of the time.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
very good point. please don't tell my wife. she would agree that by saying that, on day one I am likely to get hit.
Hopefully not - after all of this work your car will be too beautiful to take take that kind of damage. Maybe don't drive it at all. JUST KIDDING!!! :D

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
@bfeng, will pass onto painter, Russ.
Just got this from Benny: "You will need to sight the car with us and sign off for paint"
So, tomorrow I will swing by at about 2pm MT and record the sign off. So, stay tuned for one last video before painting commences when I am gone.

What does Benny mean by "sign off for paint"?
Does he mean approve of everything that was done because once he paints, you can't change your mind without paying him more $$?
Are the modifications done for the front bumper mounting scheme? What about the areas on the inner fender that require fixing/painting? Last I remember these areas were still pretty rough?

John

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing the next video. Not sure if I am looking at the latest photos of the car above, but it looks like more than a day away from "sign off". Looks like there is still welding to do on the nose related to the bumper conversion, and more feathering and blocking. You are still painting it black?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing the next video. Not sure if I am looking at the latest photos of the car above, but it looks like more than a day away from "sign off". Looks like there is still welding to do on the nose related to the bumper conversion, and more feathering and blocking. You are still painting it black?
I am painting at Black. Not sure what I am going there to sign off on but apparently they are about to start painting later in the week and want me to make sure that I am happy with the prep work

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stated
What does Benny mean by "sign off for paint"?
Does he mean approve of everything that was done because once he paints, you can't change your mind without paying him more $$?
Are the modifications done for the front bumper mounting scheme? What about the areas on the inner fender that require fixing/painting? Last I remember these areas were still pretty rough?

John
You were all making me very nervous. I have no idea what I am supposed to be looking at but if you give me a few more of these specific questions I will ask in advance and will not sign off until these things are done. I really appreciate all of your help

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You were all making me very nervous. I have no idea what I am supposed to be looking at but if you give me a few more of these specific questions I will ask in advance and will not sign off until these things are done. I really appreciate all of your help
My comments related to two topics. The easy one is the front bumper conversion. Not sure if this is a current photo or not, but it looks as if the large, gaping holes from the later bumper supports have not been patched/welded to result in thin slots for your new (old) bumper brackets. The other comment is harder to describe. But I would assume that the car will be fully primed (after several iterations of blocking and sanding). What I suspect they would ask you to sign off on is the fairness of the resulting surface that they are about to paint. Sorry, that is a boat building term, but that is all I know for this. The pics above seem to show some spot patching, but there is not yet evidence of those patched areas being faired into the rest of the metal work. Hard to tell from photos, though...
IMG_4824.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.