Sweet coupe at Hunting Ridge Motors

TodB

Reaction score
resto

That's the car I'd do if I was ready to spend $60k on an e9.

I'd say that would be a minimum # for a complete restounless you were doing it yourself and/or sourcing the partsdepending upon what you started with for a shell and what your overall expectation was.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm not looking for an all original E9. Just not my cup of tea, unless it's a CSL.
If I'm going to own a normal E9, it needs to be souled up w perid correct upgrades, light that full documented 60k mile car I sold to fund the CSL purchase that went sour.

that's kinda where i am. one side of me wants an original car like this or Peter Tackas' former ceylon. another side says csl - but i would be afraid to drive it.

my 2800cs already has a 3.5 injected w/ a 5speed. looks period, except for the air intake. performance is good, not great. i have given some thought to sending it to Mario and make everything as right as i can ... perhaps even go the s38 route or at least make it a fire-breathing 3.5. a really fun car to drive that is incredibly sound and pretty.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FWIW, they are beautiful cars but I love driving them.
Given a choice I would rather have one I was comfortable driving!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan, exactly

I've already got an original classic car that's 99.9% original/correct.

My whole goal (CSL or not) is to build a 3-season, dry-day driver that I can put 2-3 thou on every year. I'm not dissing you guys who are building museums or trailered show cars. There's beauty in perfection as there is in using them as they were intended to be used. That's why a low miles original doesn't interest me.

John

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Given that, I would start with a dry shell and make the car you want.
Perhaps with fender liners and some other upgrades you could even drive it in wet weather!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's why mario suggested a bare, restored shell

Given that, I would start with a dry shell and make the car you want.
Perhaps with fender liners and some other upgrades you could even drive it in wet weather!
I think the shell was in really good condition w great workmanship. But it's a non sr body.
I figured $5k for a donor car,
$15 drivetrain (Incl any rebuilding etc)
$4k brake/susp
$4k exterior trim
$6k interior
$25k for the shell, finished in any color, to and bottom, inside and out, show quality

Total $60k ish, assuming free labor (yours truly)

I just did not want to spend that much.

If any one is interested in this shell contact Mario.
Based on pics and his opinion, this is that rare e9 body which is correctly build and actually rust-free inside and out ... And won't start rusting again if it gets wet (possible because Mario is starting from a totally stripped, bare shell)

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the shell was in really good condition w great workmanship. But it's a non sr body.
I figured $5k for a donor car,
$15 drivetrain (Incl any rebuilding etc)
$4k brake/susp
$4k exterior trim
$6k interior
$25k for the shell, finished in any color, to and bottom, inside and out, show quality

Total $60k ish, assuming free labor (yours truly)

I just did not want to spend that much.

If any one is interested in this shell contact Mario.
Based on pics and his opinion, this is that rare e9 body which is correctly build and actually rust-free inside and out ... And won't start rusting again if it gets wet (possible because Mario is starting from a totally stripped, bare shell)

For what you want, features, quality, etc. I think that will be your price

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Shoulda kept the Polaris car and

Finished the bumper conversion @ Mario's.

But, hindsight is 20/20

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Beautiful car. My only nitpick is with the front and rear seats. Just too much sagging with such a low mileage coupe, even the front seat backs show the same effect. Everything else looks almost showroom fresh. Hope the seller gets top dollars.

I kind of wondered about the seats myself. My coupe has 108K or 208K miles on it and here’s what my seats look like. The lower front covers have been replaced with vinyl but the rest is re-dyed original. I think only the lower front cushions are rubberized horsehair, everything else is foam cushions. ~ John Buchtenkirch
DSC00002 (4).jpg

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00003 (2).jpg

DSC00005.jpg

ny30cs

Reaction score
Beautiful car.
The nitpicking list is pretty short:

- Sealed beams :(
- 4 speeds only :(
- Missing one tool
- Is speaker wooden grill separating from the back? Is the other speaker in the side console stock?
- I thought only driver side wiper should have wind wing
- Gas tank is half empty
- Needs a story, specially to explain the low miles. Something like owner had amnesia and forgot he owned the car so 20 years went by and found it cleaning the basement.

The part that gets me is people that can take car pictures in a runway. If I try to get inside an airport runway on a car with no license plates they will shoot me cold. How do they do it?

I just read your post!!! Nearly pissed my pants. You are funny!!!! To answer a few questions........The seats are all original. We all know that regardless of how well we care for the cars and how they are stored, it's still horsehair and nothing can be done to keep that fresh. Time takes it toll on that as it does all of us unfortunately. Strange with the VIN. This is the photo I used. perhaps Hans who made the plate that day left out a number or my eye sight is really bad!
This car has to be driven! It'll put a smile on anyone's face! It still smells the way they did when they were new. Yes, I am that old. Worked for Hans Eichler at Bavarian in Queens NY when these were new.......I was a kid but I was there!
Hey Arde, You have to move quickly on the tarmac.

Attachments

• DSC_0390.jpg
    DSC_0390.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 135

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The last 73 was 2240975 for a stick, 2250738 automatic. It is not possible, there can't be a 2248698. What is stamped on the engine wall?

Mark, I can't tell from the photo, what is the actual VIN? Does it match the firewall stamping? I think Andreas would confirm there is no 2248698. Thanks,

Chris

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The BMW 3.0 CS US VIN 2240698 was manufactured on April 1st, 1973 and delivered on April 19th, 1973 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Fjord metallic, paint code 037.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Andreas Harz

Chris,

i got the vin from Scott Lyman ... here is the report from Andreas.
scott

Mario L.

Reaction score
We have placed the bare shell, and it will become a showpiece, as we convert it to a sunroof coupe.
We,ll do this without cutting roof pillars.

Mario