Steering wheel leather re-wrap referrals

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
gents (and ladies)- working on a new project and need to find someone to re-wrap a mid 80’s e28 sport wheel. Prefer So. Cal. But willing to go with someone who has been referred by the coupsters!

Thanks in advance.

J.B.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had mine done recently by leatherwheels.com and was quite happy with both their work and the timeliness of getting the wheel back. Not cheap but I've found you usually get what you pay for- I paid around $250

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
PM to OCCoupe, I am sure he knows

I am pretty certain that Juan wrapped Mike’s Petri. He is doing big custom interior jobs so I think it would be better to send to a company that focuses on steering wheels

I had mine done recently by leatherwheels.com and was quite happy with both their work and the timeliness of getting the wheel back. Not cheap but I've found you usually get what you pay for- I paid around $250

That is Chris and he has done a number of wheels for folks on here and mye28. It seems like 80’s and 90’s factory wheels are his sweet spot.

I sent my momo to get recovered in eastern Europe in early October It’s gut wrenching to track it. It was last spotted in Romania but is on the move again today. :D

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I sent my momo to get recovered in eastern Europe in early October It’s gut wrenching to track it. It was last spotted in Romania but is on the move again today. :D

Any particular reason you sent it that far to get it recovered? Price? Craftmanship? I'm going to have my foam Petri leather wrapped, and eastern Europe isn't that far from me:)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Any particular reason you sent it that far to get it recovered? Price? Craftmanship? I'm going to have my foam Petri leather wrapped, and eastern Europe isn't that far from me:)

None of this really applies to the Petri, but hey you asked! :D. I will say that the leather stitching found on the 38cm CSL petri is pretty unique as well. You can recover yours in leather and it will surely look great. If you are attempting to replicate the look of a CSL wheel, you'll need to pay much closer attention and give the leather shop specific instructions. The CSL petri actually has a bit of Dr. Frankenstein stitching around the area where the spokes meet the wheel. If your goal is to feel leather in your hand, I wouldn't fuss about it.

Momo wheels have a bunch of special things going on with them that make it difficult for your average steering wheel shop to tackle. I actually had a long conversation with Chris about this. He was willing to give it a shot, but didn't think he could pull it off. He was particularly concerned about the thin spoke wraps. Momo wheels use glue and a parallel stitch to sew the wheels together. The leather wrap around the spokes is machine skived to make it very thin. Those with a momo wheel probably know what I'm referring to. Lastly, up until about 1980/81 the momo wheels had a "square stitch" on the back side of the spoke wrap. I want to replicate this also. In short, I've only found two people that actually do this. One was a mediocre job out of california and the other was a guy in eastern europe. I have a test wheel en route and my Alpina hanging tight at a member's home in Germany. I'll report back with the results.

Euro Stitch
IMG_3741_13.JPG

Momo Parallel Stitch. This one is interesting. What you see here is a new Momo Herritage wheel. They went so far as to include the "stacked" momo logo. The heritage wheel does not include the square stitch which ended in the early 80's

Early Momo Square Stitch on the back:

momo 2.jpg

European Stitch Diamond/Hexagonal:

Parallel Stitch:

Machine Skiving (Hey I found one in english):

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am pretty certain that Juan wrapped Mike’s Petri. He is doing big custom interior jobs so I think it would be better to send to a company that focuses on steering wheels

Juan is not who I would use for this type of wheel and this type of stitch. In addition Juan does not like doing wheels since it is a lot of work and he does it by hand, not machine which after two days of hand stitching your hands are toast.

Glen, I'll pm my number is you would like a good referral.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris did my Alpina s wheel, handbrake handle and shift knob all to match. I was more than happy when they came back . And a Momo wheel on top of it.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
After a long pit stop in Romania my prototipo arrived at the proper destination.

Here is an old momo wheel in the flesh. I’ll post some pics when it’s done. This one is from the mid 70’s after the stacked logo but before date codes started. I’ve seen his before with Shanon’s alpina wheel. Underneath the spoke wrap of a prototipo you will find a third hole (see upper right spoke). The prototipo, Indy, Le Mans, and Daytona all use the same blank.

37598425454_a8d510c8b5_b.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Teaser pic, coming along well!!! The momo wheel is also glued down at the seam and that hasn’t happed yet.

325FB31C-F41D-4B32-8BA3-F13EA005D685.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh My! This is why I sent my wheel overseas. I have been looking for a decent restoration shop for a good year and I have never seen anything near this quality. If you have an old Momo wheel that you want to restor PM me for details. My Alpina is up next.

My finished 350mm Prototipo! This wheel is from the mid 70’s!

2495A584-3692-4810-A36A-D99618A81624.jpeg
D313DE51-5C0A-4E80-A929-CAA7878EB0D4.jpeg
7C5607FD-AE6A-40FB-96B2-5427D4CBD422.jpeg
C7709DCE-3788-41EB-A3CB-5FEC98465CB4.jpeg

Last edited:

aguirola

Reaction score
Momo is the hardest to recover.
1st pic is a USA mashed potato filled item,
second one is one done by an ex Momo employee.
Same exact wheel.
You be the judge.

Regards, Alberto

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG