Stan's white E9

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Love it - what about some cap nuts for the strut tops? Where did you get your strut brace set up?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bob,

We had some of New Hampshire's fine White Birch Red Ale last night at a great restaurant that Stan and his lovely wife Pam took me to. Stan will have to relate what happened Tuesday night after a long day and some fine brews.

Chris

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Excellent work guys. Lovely looking Coupe. I bought the same strut brace Stan, so I'll also be looking for some cap nuts. My productivity this week was nothing more than hooking up an Oven (took a day to get the wiring done) and installing some chrome caps at the top of the door handles. Can't believe how two small pieces of plastic make the interior look newer, but your eye is drawn to them.

The Beers sound Tasty.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The button itself is plastic. The Nardi button is metal surround so that itmis grounded to the steering wheel. The BMW BUTTON has 2 wires, the Nardi button has one wire. There is only one corresponding wire coming from the hub...

Have you resolved the horn button wiring?

Great pics, looks great. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

tmason

Reaction score
Hi Stan
I love the colors of your car! My favorite and very nice restore. Can you tell me where you got that horn button. Thanks Tim

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
horn button

hi stan,
did you try this one... grounding one of the wires to the steering wheel - i don't think it matters which, connect the second one to the existing wire, and if it didn't set off the horn yet, it should once you complete the circuit by pressing the button?

the coupe really does look very nice! great job.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Horn button

The interior is completely in, the horn button...After working on the horn button situation I found that if i connect the yellow wire from the horn button to the black wire from the wheel hub and that connection touches anything metal, the horn sounds.

I connected the yellow to the black only because of the spades. the black wire on the horn button is a female end as it the wire from the wheel hub so they would not connect.

Holding the black-yellow connection so it would not touch metal. I then touched the ground wire (black from horn button) to one of the 10mm bolts holding the Nardi wheel to the hub and depressed the horn button. The horn sounds.

The fix: I need to make a small extension wire with a male end on one side and a loop connector on the other. I will buy a nut that will fit the 10mm bolt (which does protrude from the back of the connection). Connect the extension wire to the wheel bolt then to the horn button. connect yellow to black and wrap with tape. Push wires into the hub, insert horn button and replace trim ring.

Done

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Inspiration

Well I have made my pilgrimage and met the man himself...Murray.

After inspecting the BluMax and looking under the car of HBChris, i find the same feeling I had when I lived in Newport Beach CA. Where else can you pick up a brand new Volvo and feel bad about yourself because it is not a Lamborghini!

Although my car looks terrific (thank you Mario at VSR) the level of attention to detail given to Chris's car is intense. Murray's car likewise is immaculate. It gives me ideas of what I want to clan and add to my coupe. So much so that I had insomnia the night I got back from CA!

I have some rubber bits coming, acorn nuts for the shock towers, and some cleaning tools to start the process of under hood cleaning. And the funny part is, my engine bay is cleaner than it has ever been and this is the starting point!

Pray for me...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan,

You have now gone over the deep end, welcome to the club, sleepless nights are just the beginning. If you can keep your new found obsessive compulsive behavior regarding your coupe from your wife you may have a chance of completing your quest for the holy grail. Good luck my friend!

Chris

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Going off the deep end, Stan

Stan,
What you really need (since your garage ceiling looks to be 11ft or more) is a drive on 4-post storage lift with a bridge jack. $3000 and you don't have to bolt it down.

Why? when you store the coupe up in the air, you get a a daily visual reminder of all that is not perfect on the underside of your coupe. This will drive you nuts. Fortunately, the lift also gives you easy access to restore the bottom side. Once it's as good as the top side, a little maintenance is all it needs keep it nice (30min cleaning/polishing after each long drive). And that maintenance can be done with a step stool, a stack of clean cotton rags and your favorite cleaning solutions.

There's one other benefit that most spouses don't like finding out about. It gives you space for yet another old car parked underneath (which motivates you to address any/all leaks on the car parked above).

John

execmalibu

Reaction score
You guys are CRAZY! Thinking about engine compartment details is RIDICULOUS!

Crack Cocaine is safer and probably cheaper then what we have gotten ourselves into...

38+ plus years dealing with 356 Porsches I know first hand what can happen! Like when a month ago four of us Porsche lunatics were examining two identical 1962 owners manuals. We were even closely studying the print size... We were trying to determine which was "technically" correct for my 1962 Twin Grille Roadster. One manual was dated Sept 1961 the other dated Nov 1961...

Back about a year ago I tried to warn you E9 guys not to start looking at the small details but you guys ignored my warnings... I told you that the tiny detail stuff is very addictive!

Trying to find the correct color thumb screws or acorn nuts is absolutely a sign of obsessive/compulsive behavior... Most people diagnosed as such are prescribed large quantities of powerful Meds... Luckily Stan can help us out with those...

Last week I forgot to take my Meds and I was digging through boxes filled with old German hardware (screws/bolts etc) trying to find eight matching 6mm Sheet metal screws... Why did I need the 6mm sheet metal screws on an E9 you wonder? You think that the E9 does not use such a screw...

Your are wrong Grasshopper! As everyone knows they are the correct screws to hold the cardboard belly pan in place... Obviously you ALL still have the Cardboard belly pans under your E9 engines... OK a Dumb Question of coarse you do....

Ask Scoot RSPorsche what we learned... Chant repeatedly "I collect BMWs Not Vintage Porsches, I collect BMWs Not Vintage Porsches...

Stan on ebay type 8mm acorn and there are lots for $5...

Last edited:

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
It really gets sick--

When you waken in the middle of the night and find your brain engaging in solving sticky issues in the long list of things still to do on your coupe. I still can't believe that you and Chris accomplished so much in the re-assembly process in such a short period of time together.

Then, it was really a surprise--a pleasant one--when Chris called just days after returning from New England to suggest that I meet Stan--the one and only E-9 owner who has met more of his fellow owners than anyone else on the message board as he flys around the country doing his business--impressive.

PS glad you liked the BLUMAX Stan--and hope you may enjoy your chaminoix/red lovely E-9 as much as I have enjoyed the BLUMAX now for over 4 decades and several hundred thousand clicks on the odometer as it has covered those miles of big smiles.