Stan's white E9

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I ran up to meet Stan and HBChris today.
(1) These are 2 of the nicest BMW guys I've ever met.
(2) Stan's coupe is a beauty. I rarely see any vintage BMW's in Chamonix, which IMNHO is a perfect color for that period and style of car. It's a nice break from all the Fjord and Polaris cars (yes, I have a Polaris E9). All it needs are some big motorsport stripes!
(3) I'd forgotten what a PITA all that belt line trim can be. Some of those little nuts are all but inaccessible. What you really need is a trained mouse who can hold a small socket wrench.

HB Chris demonstrated his prodigious knowledge E9's, helping assemble Stan's car while at the same time making upgrades here and there.

For those of you that wonder why it costs so much to reassemble an E9 after a full-on strip down and repaint ... it just takes time to get all those zillions of bits back on without scratching the now perfect paint job.

Anyway, it was great to see another E9 being transformed from tired and old into a beautiful new machine.

John

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice meeting you yesterday John as well. Today's agenda includes wiring a low beam relay, radio and speakers, installing rear seats and cards, trunk arch covers, and a few others. Need to make some progress after we spent yesterday doing belt trim!

Chris

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've seen one other example of Mario's painting (he dies great work!); hopefully will get a chance to see Stan's car.

duane_sword

Reaction score

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, we got the rear quarter cards in after gluing in some plastic liners, radio has been rewired back to the speakers, all seats are back in, driver's door card is on, carpet edges glued back down, glove box in. Outside rear quarter window trim is ready to install, we painted the new wheel arch covers SEM Warm Grey to match the elephant skin vinyl, tidied up the jack and lug wrench location. Tomorrow will be low beam relay day and hang front bumper and install headlights and grilles. We will get everything put back in the trunk after painting the plastic tail light covers.

Here's a question, do the sill trim plates go under or over the front kick panels? We had a hard time putting it back on given Stan has new door seals.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Seems like an episode of "overhaulin'". First I thought, man if this takes a day and a half and I asked Chris to help , I will feel like a fool. Two days into it and the stress mounts, with they make it? Can they get the got done before Wednesday night? Will they have enough time for a "pilgrimage" to Vintage Sports and Racing"

it has been a lot of fun!, tomorrow the fun continues.

Wait for,follow up as Chris and I look over a 2800 CS parts car!

Last edited:

duane_sword

Reaction score
Fine style gentlemen, but I am a Trappist beer purist!!! ( also known as Belgian brew snob ) and encourage you to taste the nectar of the gods, namely Chimay!

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Horn button

The steering wheel in my coupe is a Nardi with a Nardi horn button. The button has one wire and the rim of the button is metal thus completing the circuit.

I just bought a very nice looking BMW horn button but, since is it plastic on the rim, it has two wires. I have no obvious place to connect the second wire. Anyone with experience here?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The steering wheel in my coupe is a Nardi with a Nardi horn button. The button has one wire and the rim of the button is metal thus completing the circuit.

I just bought a very nice looking BMW horn button but, since is it plastic on the rim, it has two wires. I have no obvious place to connect the second wire. Anyone with experience here?

The contact inside the horn button should ground or complete the circuit and sound the horn, not the button frame. The frame should just be for decoration.

Should only need one wire.

On the stock CS bus wheel, the 3 horn buttons are spliced together and connect to the brass ring on the back of the wheel, which contacts the carbon pin on the steering column.

On the stock '02 bus wheel, the 3 horn buttons are spliced together and connect to the carbon pin on the back of the wheel, which contacts the brass ring on the steering column.

My 4 spoke Alpina with plastic Alpina button and '02 hub, has one wire to the carbon pin.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The button itself is plastic. The Nardi button is metal surround so that itmis grounded to the steering wheel. The BMW BUTTON has 2 wires, the Nardi button has one wire. There is only one corresponding wire coming from the hub...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Success! Headlights work, turn signal and rear lights work. We chased that issue for hours yesterday. All trunk panels back in with new elephant skin on quarter panels, new arch covers in too, the trunk is done. Interior is done other than passenger door card, the outside handle needs tweaking. Engine bay: new stickers, low beam can relay, washer pump, new washer hose and gold clips. New retracting seat/shoulder belt combo installed, much more comfy than fixed shoulder belts. Just need to hang front bumper and receive new trunk letters and grommets. Three and a half days of blood, sweat and tears as they say but not bad for two older gents.

Chris

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
There had better be Photos coming of the Empty's and Coupe. I could only wish for such productivity. Must be the Beer.