Solved - bad engine noise!!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, not as convenient as the exhaust bracket option. But I imagine there's some benefit to the closure of knowing.

I am watching with interest, and wish I lived close enough to lend a hand.
Thanks I’ll need all the help I can get. Yeah if anyone can go from exhaust bracket to full rebuild, it’s me :p

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Very clever to aim for November without stating what year...:)

I am sure it will be great.

Who/what did the cylinder damage? I am looking to blame something, that's me.

Good luck!

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had my pistons for my M90 done by Diamond Racing Pistons as they were about a 1 month or less delivery. JE was over 2 months. Funny thing is I think I saw JE as the parent company. I had the pistons made as 10:1 but it may be more as the head was cut.IIRC pistons were about $1100. I am also running a 284 cam reground by Schneider Cam Shafts in San Diego. They also have the ability to make a new one. It is a bit lumpy but at idle you can tell for sure the engine is cammed. I also am running a Billy Boat exhaust system and it sounds more than "healthy" I am more than pleased with the way everything is. I will say the motor doesn't take off until about 2500 RPM and then flat out "hauls ass. I think the cost for the regrind was about $170 including over size eccentrics. I will add the pistons were so pretty I almost didn't want to use them. I am running an 002 Motronic 1.0 ECU and am thinking I may go to Motronic 1.3 with a D'Silva chip but I won't know about that "til I get on the dyno. I am looking for at least 25 more HP. The shop that did the engine work thinks what was done should give an additional 40HP but the dyno will be the proof of that

Last edited:

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for this, good to know. I am not sure what cost the $170? Sounds like you have a rocket ship!

Today I detached everything to the head, tomorrow I'll do the head bolts and pull it off.
Regrinding the cam and eccentrics. In addition, shipping I am not sure of this but for some reason, I think they do Frank Fahey's cams. When I had my cam done, they seemed to have all of the algorithms, profiles, for them

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thinking aloud Steve, what if you plug that intake valve in place and remove the spark plug? You can write a seminal 5-cylinder conversion manual to go along Carl Nelson's 5-speed conversion writeup, and get better mileage for a while until gas prices come down...

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
It took about 3 months to get the pistons with endless excuses versus the original quote of 3 weeks. Lead times vary so they might be lower now. They were very nice though. It’s a good motor. I haven’t put the miles on it Bert has though. Sounds wild too.

I tried to deal with JE directly on some 10:1 B34 pistons and they were impossible (didn’t want to listen to what I was asking for) so I went through Top End Performance. Only took 6 weeks of the 6-11 week lead time.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
It took about 3 months to get the pistons with endless excuses versus the original quote of 3 weeks. Lead times vary so they might be lower now. They were very nice though. It’s a good motor. I haven’t put the miles on it Bert has though. Sounds wild too.

I tried to deal with JE directly on some 10:1 B34 pistons and they were impossible (didn’t want to listen to what I was asking for) so I went through Top End Performance. Only took 6 weeks of the 6-11 week lead time.
I guess I didn't pay attention to the delivery time factor as I was excited about getting the motor done again. First rebuild was a screwing by a supposedly hi end shop. Motor ran for maybe a 1/2 hour or a bit more and let go. All I can say is Chris Kohler knows his stuff and I couldn't be any happier with the motor he built for me. Thank you Chris

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
The whole year without an engine was frustrating. It wasn’t what either of us signed up for but turned out well in the end so I’m happy about that!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Thoughts on Carillo pistons? Who else makes pistons for an M30B34 besides JE or do they still?

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thoughts on Carillo pistons? Who else makes pistons for an M30B34 besides JE or do they still?
Lots of people have used the CP pistons with good results. I don’t know really how much difference there is in this stuff for our applications as long as they’re made properly. At this point, no one stocks the stuff on the shelf so it’s all custom but if a company already has a drawing of what you want or you can send them a sample to copy, that saves time and confusion. The different things you can spec on a custom piston are almost endless.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lots of people have used the CP pistons with good results. I don’t know really how much difference there is in this stuff for our applications as long as they’re made properly. At this point, no one stocks the stuff on the shelf so it’s all custom but if a company already has a drawing of what you want or you can send them a sample to copy, that saves time and confusion. The different things you can spec on a custom piston are almost endless.
According to the message when I originally called Carillo, they have closed down.We sent a sample piston to Diamond using a JE piston from the original build with the new specs. The new pistons were an exact duplicate with the proper specs

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jim Rowe at Metric Mechanic says that getting pistons has become an almost impossible situation for him. Got to the point that it was so bad that he started making them himself with his CNC machine. He makes them for the M 10 as well as the M 30. He says that the pistons are much lighter than he can get anywhere else. He also now makes the rods. Problem is he only does his engines in series; that is, he has a run of M 10’s then newer motors and then possibly the M 30s. He’s way behind on the engine I ordered because I fell out of the queue for other reasons.He is supposed to make a new run of M 30 pistons this summer as well as the rods also significantly reduced in weight.
Can’t say this is any help but if you really can’t find them, maybe you could contact him. He also may have some old stock lying around. My visit to the shop in Missouri revealed that he had a hell of a lot of parts lying around.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the engine noises and associated issues. I thoroughly enjoyed driving that meticulously maintained little beastie. Love those triple side drafts. I really thought you had it at the exhaust bracket as I had the same issue with my 2002.weird “zing” sound like it was coming from the motor at 3500 RPM, every gear. Two mechanics looked at it and said they couldn’t find anything, just drive it and enjoy it. Of course the noise drove me insane. I finally located the issue. In fact, it was the exhaust bracket, or lack there of. I had to fab something off the headers.
Good luck with the motor, I completely disassembled my 2800,every nut and bolt, but I don’t mess with the engine or transmission. Most everything else you can just reset and re-do,but not either of those. A man’s got to know his limitations and I’m fortunate enough to have the wherewithal to sub those out.
You sound like you have the technical wherewithal to get this done, and of course ,it’s not the destination but the journey.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
it’s not the destination but the journey
Agreed, I've come to terms that I won't drive the car for quite some time which is something I am not used to, and my goal is to come out the other side with it's original motor upgraded and a damned nice looking engine compartment. Then you'll have to have another go at it.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
TRIGGER WARNING: What you see may cause emotional distress!

So the good news is it wasn't an m6 nut from me leaving it on a carb and falling in the throat, but a piece of metal did get in while driving sans air box. So I feel stupid but not THAT stupid. All you bareback trumpet sidedrafters take note. Here's the culprit:

IMG_3033.jpg

Piston:

IMG_3048.JPG

and the head. Toast.

IMG_3026.JPG

Fortunately I am in the trustworthy hands of the Man From San Fran. I will acquire a fresh head, and the block comes out next to rebuild the bottom and install new pistons. This concludes this thread, next up, the rebuild thread :cool: