SFBay: 1970 2800CS - $29K

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The interior is a bit tired but I love the Tundra in the sunlight! Overall seems pretty solid...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5869042914.html

01717_895g0DFT729_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
What's wrong w/sunroofs? Won't own a CS (okay, a CSL) w/o one! If the car is rust-free, do you plan on driving it in the rain? For fear the rain will get through the sunroof?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Damn, if that's a $29k car I need to raise my insurance again. To me it looks like an OK car with fresh paint.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Besides the wood, what is really wrong w/it and how much you think it's worth?

I actually didn't read the description until now and feel like its a good honest description, still calling out that its a nice driver with new paint. If the wood and the shifter boot and those things have been restored/replaced, the photos must be before they were done. Bottom line is, there are enough things about the car that make me feel like it was just cleaned up before being sold and I personally don't think this car is worthy of $29k. If it is, I need to raise my insurance again because I have also undervalued my own coupe.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nothing is wrong with them, but there is less headroom with one. They are another maintenance item that would require staying on top of the drain holes, fit of the seal, and the sliding mechanism. Just like the fenders, if I had a sunroof and I got caught in the rain I wouldn't put the car away unless I knew it was dry up there.

What's wrong w/sunroofs? Won't own a CS (okay, a CSL) w/o one! If the car is rust-free, do you plan on driving it in the rain? For fear the rain will get through the sunroof?

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nothing is wrong with them, but there is less headroom with one. They are another maintenance item that would require staying on top of the drain holes, fit of the seal, and the sliding mechanism. Just like the fenders, if I had a sunroof and I got causght in the rain I wouldn't put the car away unless I knew it was dry up there.

I'm flipping a 2002 right now that has a sunroof but my coupe doesn't have one. I'm finding myself using the sunroof on the 2002 more than I expected so I'm sure I'd enjoy one on my coupe. The drainage/weather/mechanicals are not a concern to me.

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
Nothing to do with the rain, more to do with the headroom height... I want a non sunroof model because my head hits the ceiling in my sunroof '73...

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Because dang felt pretty strongly about the price point of this car I thought it was worth examining some things more critically (all from my point of view of course). There are/were definitely some shortcomings; in pic 3 the rocker covers are not flush with the rear quarter-quality would dictate they should be. The rear lenses and pieces thereabouts should have been cleaned up better and attached more "cleanly" (not a big deal- just sayin'). Rear bumper rubber is not affixed correctly- quite common, and under-riders should have been polished and attached correctly. When refreshing the paint, which looks pretty good- we all like the color- they should have removed the trunk and panels and painted both sides of the trunk. Wires hanging under the rear bumper look sloppy and the bottom of the car could VERY easily been power-washed and made presentable. Ditto with the hood latch area, I'm also questioning why a 79K mile car needs the valve cover painted? oh, and your zipper's down :)

So, my opinion varies a little; if the car was thoroughly inspected and scoped and the "rust-free" claims can be verified and the less than excellent errors mentioned above did not prove out to be indicative of a cheap job and the car is as "original" as stated and that's not 179K on the clock and they put the headlight covers back on I feel the price is obtainable, however, I think Dang may have done a more thorough examination of the pictures and made his conclusion from there and I can not disagree with his findings- he probably included my list of issues, and more that he noticed, in his original comment formulation because he learned to think before writing :)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think Dang may have done a more thorough examination of the pictures and made his conclusion from there and I can not disagree with his findings- he probably included my list of issues, and more that he noticed, in his original comment formulation because he learned to think before writing :)

Eh. Speaking only for myself... I buy cars for a living, looking at them all day long and seeing them in every condition you can imagine. I'm sure its the same for others that buy cars a lot or restore them, but that first initial feeling you get when you see a car is usually accurate. If something doesn't feel right you start paying more attention. Unfortunately for me, I can't walk through a parking lot without spotting all the poor bodywork, misaligned panels and cheap clear-coat. Kinda like a musician can't relax and listen to music without having to dissect it in their mind!

Bob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Saw earlier this year, some big holes around windows.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-11-17-32-24.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-11-17-32-24.png
    309.3 KB · Views: 190
  • Screenshot_2016-11-11-17-32-08.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-11-17-32-08.png
    435.1 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

Bob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah the seller had a '72 also. I think this one got steam rusted inside out while wrapped up in a leaky tarp for 10 years...

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
how much extra headroom do you get without a sunroof? I am 6'2" and fit fine in my CS.
HBChris us significantly taller than me as is Gary C and Tim R...like 6'7"
My point is that unless you are like NBA-tall, the difference in interior space should not be noticeable.