Security

Rek

Reaction score
Apropos of the theft of the E9 in Canada and the increase in the value of our cars, I was wondering what security features people have on their cars.

To start things off, I have a hidden switch for the coil which is not that well hidden, but enough to deter the less motivated of the light fingered.

Living in London, the instances of theft by low loader where the whole car is removed on the back of a truck, are increasing. For this I use a tracker device which notifies me (sometimes) if the car is moved, and that the tracked is still working. Its a Spot Tracker which requires a subscription but it is considerably cheaper than those connected to the Police.

The idea of something that notifies me that it is still working is a little absurd for obvious reasons.

Whilst not exposing yourselves to undue risk, what precautions to others take?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At the Oldtimer Grand Prix at the Nürburgring 2 months ago, 2 cars were stolen. A Porsche 356 and a one off MB SL Gullwing. The Gullwing was/ is worth well over a million€’s. The P car was stolen from the hotels underground parking and the MB SL from in front of the hotel (with plenty of security).
The MB guy has offered the thief 250K€ cash and no questions asked if the car gets returned. Big adverts all over the place....... no return as yet.
Not too long ago an E9 was stolen in Stockholm in broad daylight/ afternoon! The person goes into town, parks on a busy street and when he gets back...... E9 is gone.

Obviously all of us are thinking of what we could do to prevent such an incident when we are showing off our cars at some overnight event or the other, holidaying or even like the Stockholm incident. Once inside the car, the chances of it not being stolen is unlikely.

My personal and simple solution is to have a battery kill switch/ wheel and remove the steering wheel (even just the screws that hold the wheel to the hub). Very easy and quickly done. I’m sure the thieves have the necessary ‘electronic stuff’ (spark plug wires etc) but a matchimg steering wheel, seriously doubt that they’d have that.

Attachments

• 6822FABB-190A-4419-AFCB-2A81E47F8C61.jpeg
    6822FABB-190A-4419-AFCB-2A81E47F8C61.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 114

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
@deQuincey at least then you can't wreck the car yourself :p

i have seen the "idea" on outboard engines... brand new but with a old , damaged top cover ;)

NilsH

Site Donor
Reaction score
Kill switch for a quick in and out of a shop. A wheel clamp and a steering wheel clamp of good quality for longer parking.
It is a trade off between practicality and protection. If it's too complicated and takes too long time it's not fun any more and I could as well take the daily driver.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used to park my automatic anywhere, even did not lock it. Trick was to unscrew the automatic selector handle.

Its a simple twist on twist off, and small enough to stick it in your pocket.

Aint going nowhere when its in 'park'.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A520F met Tapatalk

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If I am doing an overnight somewhere I have a kill switch and I remove the coil wire. Also hoping the milennial thieves can't drive a 5 speed. It's the theft by tow truck that worries me. Removing the steering wheel is a good idea but not sure it would even deter this scenario? At home I have a locked gate and locked garage, and a dog that sleeps within earshot.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great thread idea Rek!
I'd like to know more about gps tracking devices hidden in a car. Does anyone use those? Any recommendations you can share?

Philippe db

Reaction score
Relatively common/ known off in Germany. Used in the old timer scene too.
Here’s an example... many different brands and prices.

https://www.amazon.de/Incutex-Tracker-Peilsender-Personen-Fahrzeugortung-GPS-TK5000/dp/B003TKMK7E

How long will it take professionals to locate such a device and simply through it in the next bin?

If somebody really wants to steal your car nothing will protect you accept a good insurance. With or without battery, steering weel, coil……, they simply load it on to a truck in broad daylight and it's gone. Living in it 24/7 with a loaded gun probably also is a safe option, although only in the US because over here we aren't allowed to own guns.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How long will it take professionals to locate such a device and simply through it in the next bin?

If somebody really wants to steal your car nothing will protect you accept a good insurance. With or without battery, steering weel, coil……, they simply load it on to a truck in broad daylight and it's gone. Living in it 24/7 with a loaded gun probably also is a safe option, although only in the US because over here we aren't allowed to own guns.
All of the above excellent reasons to increase Agreed Values. Mine just went to $55k with no questions, no photos. Bundle it with my State Farm policies.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Funny- I set off my big wall alarm every couple of months so the neighbors know just how loud it is.
At the shop we have....

7 cameras linked to the iCloud with battery backup with sound and motion detection and lost power alert and offline alarm.
2 motion detectors
1 noise detector
3000 watts of motion detector lighting
ADT call service
10 second email and message service on activation.
And more....

And a loaded gun...

At night it looks like a NORAD installation which is just fine.

Of course being next to the police station helps too.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
48B8525F-DB3E-498C-A0D9-C67DF54FB2BB.jpeg
Attended a car event today ...

And some one , some how stole my boot lock ... in fcuking broad day light !!!

Next car event I will be removing the boot lock and putting it in my pocket lol

Live and learn !!!

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Attended a car event today ...

And some one , some how stole my boot lock ... in fcuking broad day light !!!

Next car event I will be removing the boot lock and putting it in my pocket lol

Live and learn !!!

I can't tell if you are being serious or not... Stealing a lock? At a car show?