Security

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I lived in South Africa for a couple of years where car jacking and vehicle theft were a huge problem. Many people installed GPS trackers on their cars, but thieves got hip to that and figured out how to quickly short it out to render it useless. Most people turned to low tech solutions like never stopping at red lights if there wasn't traffic in the other directions, having high fences with couple of Boerboels to guard the property, and parking only in lots with Security Guards and tipping them to make sure the car was there when you got back.

Read an article at least 10 years ago about SA carjackings and people installing side-mounted flame shooters. Was that really a thing?

Been carjacked. Followed my banker grandma’s rules for getting robbed. Still here.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Read an article at least 10 years ago about SA carjackings and people installing side-mounted flame shooters. Was that really a thing?

Ha! I didn't hear that one, but it wouldn't surprise me. South Africans don't mess around with security. I worked at the U.S. Embassy in Pretoria and we had a local security service which gave all the embassy personnel a remote key fob panic button for the home; I accidentally hit the button one day and what looked like a SWAT team arrived at my door within 30 seconds. I was embarrassed by the accident, but pretty confident in the security service after that.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You really shouldn’t share on here what tracking or kills you use, if, unlike me, you have a CSL or target car. Insurance gets you another car or money, but that’s not why I have the car—it’s a terrible investment for me with parts, mistakes, time, etc. I’m underwater most likely. But while trying to sell my motorcycle today, I got some clarity. A guy shot me a decent offer on the Coupe. I told him he was a bit below market, but I wouldn’t sell it for market and he shouldn’t pay what I’d want. Thing is, I’ve spent a ton of time on it, have years more to go, but I like this flat-green late 74—even with diving boards, zcarbs, 4 spd, lbs of random undercoating, & ongoing rust surprises. Insurance is a given, but I’ve got mine tracked because I want this specific pain in the arse back.
Jay, you kind of just made my day with this one. Here's to being under water and loving every minute of it (or at least enjoying the journey). :)

Last edited:

mr bump

Reaction score
Thats a very stealable dog too. Double prizes for Mr Criminal!

My thoughts on tracking are that any thief won't know its there so will only find it later. Thats fine as my tracker tells me when the car is moving, and then tracks where it is going via sat nav. That allows me to give chase, or let the police know.

Strange that no-one has an alarm on their car anymore. I do believe that they are ignored unless it is outside an owners home. They are always going off around here. We call them Hackney Nightingales.
Hackney nightingale PMSL LOL!! classic line!

mr bump

Reaction score
A Tec/ electrican friend of mine says if I was to put a 240v charge through the door handles as a security measure, he can do it. But my memory is awful and I know I will get really pissed off having spikey hair all the time I unlock my E9!! LOL