recommendations for leather hides

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
the number of hides greatly depends on the size of the hides. typical full size hides are 50 sf +/-. some hides come in 25 to 30 sf size ... which would obviously take more. remember hides are very irregularly shaped as they come off the cow - there are narrow pieces from the legs.

now for the longer discussion and perhaps more than you want to know - buy leather that is made for the automotive / aviation industry that is more stable for u/v light. you should also understand that there are 2 basic types of dye process used on premium hides. one is a surface dye, the other is an aniline dye which completely penetrates the hide. if you deeply scratch the surface dye it will be a more natural color inside ... this means both front / back surfaces are the finish color ... it just doesn't greatly penetrate like an aniline dye does. please also know there are different types of tanning / finishing processes for different types of leather. some will patina others will remain consistent with U/V light. there are vegetable tanning and chromium tanning processes. vegetable tanning is an older process used today more by bootmakers and saddlemakers. chromium salt tanning allows for a softer hand and a broader range of color

there are also 2 different versions of the top grain leather - full grain and corrected grain. full grain has not been sanded or buffed ... it retains the grain layer of the hide - original texture remains. corrected grain has been sanded or buffed to allow the dye to be better absorbed and minimize the appearance of blemishes ... which allows a more uniform color. i greatly prefer the full grain leather over the corrected grain.

Very interesting. Baring your points in mind, what did BMW use originally for their leather interiors? Surface/aniline dyed, what tanning process?, corrected/full grain?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Very interesting. Baring your points in mind, what did BMW use originally for their leather interiors? Surface/aniline dyed, what tanning process?, corrected/full grain?
Michael, all really good questions ... i honestly do not know for sure. i would assume that it was a surface dye and probably vegetable tanning - (aniline dyes and chromium salt tanning is newer).

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used Bentley leather on mine. Feels like it, looks like it and costs like it.
1572235512878.png

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here are a few snaps that show the rear door card, covered in leather which as stated above is not factory original.
The ash tray, which most defiantly is now where near factory finish.
I also liked the idea of blue piping to match the Atlantic that the car is painted with.
The leather rear parcel shelf, again not factory fit. I think the carpeted rear shelf was introduced with series II in late 1973, mine was built in December 73 and had a carpet covered rear shelf.
So you are all correct about the originality, but I thought they would be nice so put them into my car.
This got me thinking about things I like that are not as they left the factory, but often talked about.
Electronic ignition
123 distrubutors
16 inch wheels
Bilsteins
3.5 litre engines
Two pack paint
Brunettes who dye their hair blonde

I will let someone else post a picture of the blonde, the rest can be found on this forum and are i approve of them all, even if I have not followed that route. Each to their own

Attachments

• 9960BF44-7973-428F-AE11-736BA0A4F4F9.jpeg
    9960BF44-7973-428F-AE11-736BA0A4F4F9.jpeg
    283.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 051A1C9E-FB1C-451C-93D4-2E13862DC239.jpeg
    051A1C9E-FB1C-451C-93D4-2E13862DC239.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 173
  • 0C0C95F4-B18A-4213-B20A-DC397A0C9653.jpeg
    0C0C95F4-B18A-4213-B20A-DC397A0C9653.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 165

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like your tweeter idea, I wonder if one could be put in there and the entire surface covered with speaker cloth

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mark, that would be even better. Save that idea for next time. Or, perforated leather if done cleanly.