Recommendation for Motive Products Brake Bleeder

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
I'll write about this in Roundel sometime, but I want to give a hearty (and completely uncompensated) recommendation to the Motive Products brake bleeder

http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Produc...M5L0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323640902&sr=8-1

You pour up to two quarts of brake fluid into it, screw its cap in place of the brake fluid reservoir cap, pump it up, and walk around from wheel to wheel and bleed, occasionally returning to the Motive to pump it back up. This is much easier than the Gunison EZ Bleed I've used for nearly 20 years, as 1) it ran off pressure from a tire, and 2) you'd have to unscrew it to add fluid to the reservoir.

The $53 red label model has a plastic cap with a non-swiveling hose, requiring you to pre-twist the hose before threading the cap onto the reservoir. For about $20 more you can buy the black label model that comes with a nice knurled aluminum cap that has a swivel fitting in the middle, eliminating the pre-twisting ritual.

I've had to do some serial brake work on a recently-purchased 3.0CS requiring iterative bleeding, and it's been great.

The one downside is that some care has to be taken depressurizing and disconnecting so as not to get brake fluid everywhere. I found that unscrewing the cap on the bleeder tank to release the pressure, bending the hose so only a small amount of fluid will gravity-feed into the reservoir, then cracking open a bleed valve and gravity-bleeding the brakes for a minute drew the level down enough.

With Christmas coming, drop some hints on this to your spouse.

--Rob

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I agree. I've used the Bavauto version for 7-8 years and it works great. Best brake bleeding tool I've ever used. Be carefull not to use to much pressure. I did over pressurize the tank once causing the 40 year old braded lines that lead from the reservoir to the master cylinders to " weep" brake fluid. I ended up having to replace them and all is well.

John

kurtd

Site Donor
Reaction score
+1 on a pressure bleeder, I also have the bav auto version and have used it with great success for years. That reminds me it's time to bleed the brakes again.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've avoided the 'leaking fluid' when removing the bleeder cap from the reservoir by never putting fluid in the Pressure Bleeder. I fill the reservoir, then pump the bleeder up to the pressure I want. I check frequently and disconnect the cap when the reservoir is about 1/4 full. repeat this several times, of course, while you bleed all four corners (8 nipples on the CS).

Confirming 'Hack's' comments on the next page, DO NOT RUN THE Reservoir dry!. I do one rear brake caliper, then refill the reservoir, etc. until all are done. I like the fact that the pressure vessel has never seen either hygroscopic brake fluid, OR water to clean it out. Don't want any 'new' brake fluid to contact a surface that has moisture already present. This is a procedure I like, but - as the automobile and gasoline companies used to say "your mileage may vary"

Been using this technique for about 10 years on all of my previous cars. Used it today on the '74 I bought last spring, after replacing a frozen Rt rear caliper, and rebuilding all the other three.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been meaning to buy one of these for 15 years, but keep bleeding the old fashion way. If you are feeling thrifty, You can build them out of a pest prayer, some rubber tube, a brass barb, and an OEM MC cap.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Marcos,

I did that and couldn't keep the cap from leaking, the Motive one doesn't leak.

Interesting. Do you use the rubber plate instead of the universal cap? I wonder if they leak out of the threads. Anyway I'll need to buy one, even though I have a plethora of sprayers...

Honolulu

Reaction score
Hey if we're all about uncompensated recommendations...

I want to give a hearty (and completely uncompensated) recommendation to...

Craftsman for their combination wrenches. I've been using them for dog's years, and never broken one yet, which I can't say about several 1/2" breaker bars of theirs. Those combo wrenches fit right, they are "two tools in one" and they're far and away less expensive than S***-O*, M**, P****, H**** plus several other chromey brands from various trucks and big-box outfits. Remember the old saw about buying Craftsman: "You only buy it once!"

I think product recommendations are okay, but they ought to have their own place as would flames of product that's not found to perform as expected. In H*** perhaps.

Keepin' it clean,

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here is a comment from an amazon reviewer that picks up on thoughts from Rob and Gary:
-Do not fill the tank with brake fluid, that is just asking for dirt and contamination. Instead just use the tank for air pressure.
-Install an air hose quick coupler in the line. The quick coupler allows you to connect and disconnect the bleeder tank to the brake fluid reservoir without losing pressure. This makes it much faster when you have to disconnect the bleeder to add more fluid to the brake fluid reservoir because you don't have to re-pressurize the tank each time. Make sure you keep a good eye on it and dont run it dry.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I like the idea of the air-line quick disconnect. Not so much for the disconnection part, as for the easy 'swivel' part, keeping from having to twist the hose counter-clockwise before screwing the reservoir cap on in a clockwise rotation!

THANKS for forwarding that. I'll pick up a Male and Female disconnect next time I'm at Harbor Freight.

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
I disagree that you shouldn't use the tank for brake fluid. That's what it's designed for. If I wanted to only push pressure, I'd use my old Gunison's EZ Bleed which gets its pressure through a valve screwed onto the left front tire. I've used the Gunison's and not stopped, disconnected, and refilled the reservoir in time. You want to quadruple the bleeding time? Accidentally run your reservoir dry and push air all the way through the system. That's what happens if you run the reservoir dry.

The advantage of the Motive is that you can add a quart of brake fluid and do all four wheels without worrying that you'll run out of fluid.

John S

Reaction score
Motive Bleeder

I used to not fill the tank on my Motive bleeder but eventually switched over to filling the tank with brake fluid. I just make sure that I have lots of denatured alcohol to clean it all up when I'm done.