Rear shock install - correct bushing compression

Garrett

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have I got this right?

I put a backing washer above the plate (figured it couldn't hurt) which is compressing the factory/OE bushing. Since there's no bottoming out I figure it's a 'feel' thing in terms of how much compression/deformation I should end up with?

On the underside of the tower I installed just a backing washer and the plate.

[Reposting from Restorations sections, oops]

Attachments

• IMG_8836.JPG
    IMG_8836.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 116

Garrett

Site Donor
Reaction score
There's actually supposed to be a metal sleeve inside the rubber so that you can bottom out.

Number 10:
View attachment 32855

My car was missing these sleeves, so I asked for the dimensions in another thread, and the answer was 1 inch/25mm long.

I should have looked more carefully perhaps - I bought the bushings from Rogerstii and assumed (as I'd read in another post) that the sleeves were attached inside though slightly shorter hence I did not see them flush with the top/bottom. Thanks for pointing this out, just called Rogerstii and ordered the sleeves.

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I should have looked more carefully perhaps - I bought the bushings from Rogerstii and assumed (as I'd read in another post) that the sleeves were attached inside though slightly shorter hence I did not see them flush with the top/bottom. I'll call Rogerstii to ask if I got that right or needed another part.

Yes, and if they don't have them you can easily make two sleeves yourself out of a small pipe or something, as long as it fits over the shock rod + inside the rubber, and is cut down to 1" long :)