Rear Lights Restored - inventory coming soon

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
I am restoring / upgrading rear lights for many BMW models, including E3 and E9. I have a knack for doing good things to make the car more visible, thus less likely to be hit from behind.

I recently posted in 'parts wanted' to obtain orphaned or damaged lights for parts after a pair was received needing repair, but did not get much of a reply. I saw one on 'Flea Bay' for $1600. :eek: It looked new- very nice and shiny- but mine are not $3200 a pair, either.

Then, I learned of a Big Box of E9 bulb carriers (backs) - I have ordered and am expecting them soon!

I work with the backs, not the lenses, to keep cars operating with fully functional rear lights. I offer options: restored; repaired; and upgraded with dual tail light filaments to make the cars hugely more visible at night. I use safe high output lamps to make all light functions brighter. Some of you already have my restored lights in your coupes, and report good results. I can do limited repairs as needed with the parts.

If you would like a pair, restored or restored and upgraded with dual tail lights, they will be available for swap (no core, or refundable core of $100 per pair) or for purchase outright.

1) Send me an email or PM with work desired, and send your lights or request a build;
2) I proceed with restoration, repair, upgrades as requested, then ship finished lights;
4) You return your old lights here for the core refund or keep them in your stash. If you return them for your refund, I restore them for the next coupe.

I prefer your old backs in return, to continue the process (refundable core charge). This means your car is down for an hour or less while you swap out the backs and clean the lenses, then your lights go into the shop for restoration, and on into another coupe!

As soon as the lights arrive, I will start restoring them in pairs, and reserve them under your name and VIN in order as I hear from you and funds are received.

Last edited:

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
YO, neighbor (I'm in Longmont)

how much?

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
Normal charge for straight restoration, no repairs or upgrades, including HO (high output) Brake and Tail lamps is $299 a pair.
+2 upgrade to add a second tail light (dim filament) on each side adds $99 a pair. Repairs if needed on an individual basis.
Discount applies to all work. You can avoid the shipping and get free installation if you'd like to visit Golden.

Be sure to email me to discuss the specifics and deposit amount if you want on the list.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hey guys, i have a set of rears that i got from Andy and this creates a big improvement for rear lighting on a coupe. the last thing i want is for somebody to run into the back of me. i went for the second upgrade. this in conjunction with the 3rd brakelight i got from our friend Adawil2002 really means anybody who isn't asleep can see the back end of my coupe.

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
Scott- that was three years ago next month, April 2016!
How are they holding up, besides being highly visible?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
they are holding up great Andy ... unfortunately my car is taken apart right now for painting.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Andy--I used to work for an electrical distributor that had many GE miniature lamps in stock. I studied the GE catalog and installed higher lumen bulbs in my round 2002 tail lights. After many months, I found the lenses melted due to the higher heat from those higher output bulbs. What high output bulbs are you using? Your goal to have brighter lights is indeed a good one that all coupe owners need.

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
Andy--I used to work for an electrical distributor that had many GE miniature lamps in stock. I studied the GE catalog and installed higher lumen bulbs in my round 2002 tail lights. After many months, I found the lenses melted due to the higher heat from those higher output bulbs.

What high output bulbs are you using?

Your goal to have brighter lights is indeed a good one that all coupe owners need.
Drew-
I feel your pain - when I was driving my 2002 I did the same thing in pursuit of brighter rear lighting, and I ALSO melted the lenses a bit. Since that time I revised my strategy for upgrading 2002 lights, which solved the melting issue. Was it useful and effective? Well, before my revised strategy, my car was totaled five times; after, no collisions ever, and no lens melting!

I am using a specialty lamp from a large supplier in New York, CPI. It is a derivative made to the same specs as the Honda Motor Company lamps used in their vehicles for many years, originally made by Stanley in Japan. Stanley is the equivalent to 'Hella' or 'Bosch' in Japan. They make the lights and lamps for most Japanese car and truck manufacturers. These lamps are nickel base as BMW specs, filled with pressurized Krypton (noble gas), and are enclosed in a tubular envelope, not spherical like the 7506. Not sure what difference that part makes. But they are significantly brighter than the 7506. There is also a two filament upgrade lamp with the same design, useful for my upgrades and for front turn signals.

It runs a few more watts than the BMW spec 7506 lamps, barely noticeable in use. The 7506 draws 21 watts, the new lamp draws 26 watts. The stock output of the 7506 is 32 cp (when new, and certainly less when aged) and the new lamp has a 33% higher output - 45 cp. I am using 'CP' for candlepower, technically it is Mean Spherical Candela.

I also use this new lamp in the coupe upgrades - should you wish to know mare about them, just ask. I have just ordered a number of coupe rear lights from overseas, and will begin restoring and upgrading sets for the US and other markets when they arrive. If you'd like a pair, let me know right away, as the order can be adjusted up or down if I know right away.

My 'retirement income' is the business of restoring rear lighting for classic BMW models, hence I adopted the name 'Mo Brighta Mo Betta' to sort of define it. Nobody wants their car demolished by someone who may or may not be paying attention, and since most folks these days are too busy updating their status or texting their lunch orders ... well, you get the picture. Plus, BMW stopped making these classics years ago, and parts are getting more and more impossible to find. Let's keep the remaining ones on the road, where they belong! And with brighter lights front and rear, since this is entirely possible.

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
Ready to roll - lights on their way here!

NO CHARGE up front, just let me know you want a pair of nice shiny bright new tail lights, I will get you the details of how to reserve your pair.

I like helping you keep the marque alive by restoring rear lights, and keeping your rear end intact.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Andy,

It probably doesn’t help much but I’m still open to two core sets for one restored set trade. Lemme know.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Andy--I used to work for an electrical distributor that had many GE miniature lamps in stock. I studied the GE catalog and installed higher lumen bulbs in my round 2002 tail lights. After many months, I found the lenses melted due to the higher heat from those higher output bulbs. What high output bulbs are you using? Your goal to have brighter lights is indeed a good one that all coupe owners need.

Same thing happened years ago on my first coupe. Plastic near the bulb holders melted soon upon installation. Probably it’s the plastic composition in the original housings that does not tolerate the extra heat with the higher output bulbs.

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
Same thing happened years ago on my first coupe. Plastic near the bulb holders melted soon upon installation. Probably it’s the plastic composition in the original housings that does not tolerate the extra heat with the higher output bulbs.

Time to learn something about lamps and dim tail lights.

I think its important to distinguish between high OUTPUT and high WATTAGE lamps (not the same thing). Also, between rear marker (dim ones, normally called TAIL light) and rear BRAKE lights. In most cases, people who try the easy way of getting brighter tail lights are replacing the tail light bulbs with the brighter brake light bulbs... after all, they both have the same base, both are 12 volts, and it fits right in - EASY (and wrong). The plastic is not the problem, the amount of heat applied IS.

In ALL cases that I am aware of (E3 up to about E39), BMW used small lamps in the early tail lights, and larger ones in the brake, turn, reverse, and rear fog lights. By bigger, I mean larger physical size as well as higher wattage. Typically same base, same volts, but different jobs. Also, the filament height is very different, so putting the incorrect lamp in a tail light reflector messes up the optics, which looks bad (usually 'out of focus') and thus harder to see from a distance.

In my 2002 - I had put a 21W Brake lamp instead of the 5W tail lamp. Three problems arose, but it took some time to melt the lens.
1) the 21W lamp is taller so the glass envelope was right next to the lens inner surface.
2) the 21W lamp was hotter by over 5 times, and stays on for hours so it had plenty of time to work it's evil.
3) the 21W filament is in the wrong place due to the height, so the reflector and lens did not work as designed.

I am sorry about your coupe lens melting, but I suspect the typical mistake was made. My lights looked brighter, but I had gone about it the wrong way.

I will NEVER EVER use a brake lamp in the tail light reflector, and DISCOURAGE EVERYONE from doing the same.

I DO sell brighter brake and tail light bulbs which are MARGINALLY higher in watts (not 500% higher, more like +20% or 5 watts) but much BRIGHTER. The brighter part is from newer design: the filament, fill gas and perfectly clean envelope (glass bulb) makes them bright, not super high wattage. Also, they are the correct lamp for the lens, reflector, fuse, switch, wiring and check panel relay (on later cars) for that circuit, and have the correct metal (nickel) on their base shell. Also, I will NEVER put a brake lamp in a tail reflector, not in my car, not in yours.

I hope this helps everyone understand the usual reason behind lens melting. When my 2002 tail light lens melted, I took the time to understood the problem I caused, I never made that mistake again. I hope NOBODY ever does.

Hope this helps!

Andy

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Andy--I'm in for the restored brake lights. Brighter lamps will get very bright with the work done to the reflectors. I recently got my coupe and I tried 1156 red LED lamps. I knew they would be brighter and not hot. The difference was just slightly brighter, and they came on as soon as the brake pedal was engaged compared to the stock 1156. But the key is having the reflectors with a mirror finish. Another point. The Coupe taillights are about 2 feet off the road, while the typical SUV driving behind you is up another foot or two. They are not looking down at your tail lights, so your brake lights have to be as bright as possible. Adding a third brake light in the top center of the back window to me is a necessity to "be seen and not hurt".

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
Drew-
All you say is true- shiny reflectors, brighter bulbs, height above the road surface, and an LED center brake light up top in the rear window are all quite useful and possible. As far as elevation - you are underestimating, some truck/SUV lights are five feet and higher! But brighter is the key - you want to 'startle' the drivers with your brakes, and dim lights won't do it.

Recently I appealed to the forum for rear lights - spares and damaged units to use for salvaging repair parts where needed. I have the good fortune of about 5 - 6 pairs coming in the near future! This will allow attaining the best possible results for the critical brake light output, and upgrades will help the tail light output and reliability as well. Things are looking up!

Do you have the ability and time to photograph your lights - with and without the lens in place - and send me the pictures for evaluation? This helps me keep my eyes open for the parts and specific work I will need to do. I'll want to see the current state of your reflectors, and any relative differences side to side and sector to sector. Much can be done at your place with soap and water, since lenses tend to pick up grease and dirt over time, insidiously and gradually so you don't notice it. a little warm water and Dawn liquid dish soap work wonders.

Also, you'll be glad to know about the Hella LED center brake light I sell, with LED panel features to allow Aiming It! This way you can adjust the position to shine directly into the eyes of the typical threat in your specific driving environment. This is a nice feature, one that most rear lights do NOT have.

Lets take this up in a private conversation, I will send you my email address for you to forward pictures or whatever you can.

Thanks
Andy

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
Hi Andy, can you please post some enlarged pictures , I'm thinking of doing a trade but would like to see your product:) thanks
Peter- I'll try, but may have to get my neighbor to let me remove and photograph his lights... many of my good pictures are kind of locked within an older computer that is feeling very cranky lately... it's running Windows XP, over 20 years and many miles on that computer.

I will be restoring a set immediately when the box arrives, so it should be pretty soon that the new crop is on the shelves. I'll b e glad to take and post photographs.

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
The lights FINALLY arrived a couple days ago, I will start restoring a set for pictures.
Some of them are sort of nice, some will take some work to bring them back.

Stay tuned!

Andy